Bethel Baptist Church At 801 Andrews St.

torvald

saw the portion of one of subdude's previous community posts (included below) interested in what future the structure has and what caused the fire? rode my bike past the bethel baptist and saw some work being done...

<< An early-morning fire gutted historic Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, 801 Andrews, in the Fourth Ward on Monday January 24. The church, built in two stages in 1923 and 1949, was the home to one of Houston

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

No. This is the former church at the corner of Andrews and Crosby (visible from I-45). A fire destroyed most of the structure, leaving only the outside walls. After the fire, braces where erected to support the walls. However, the charred remains were left inside. The structure has no roof whatsoever, and without the support braces, the remaining walls would collapse.

Here is an aerial:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&..._&encType=1

Edited by REALaw

No. This is the former church at the corner of Andrews and Crosby (visible from I-45). A fire destroyed most of the structure, leaving only the outside walls. After the fire, braces where erected to support the walls. However, the charred remains were left inside. The structure has no roof whatsoever, and without the support braces, the remaining walls would collapse.

Is it for sale? I'd love to buy it, put a roof on it, and set up a microbrewry. Call it "Holy Spirits". I'd revel in the knowledge that the church was struck down by lightning and rebuilt by a purveyor of depravity...all part of God's plan! >:):lol:

Edited by TheNiche

Is it for sale? I'd love to buy it, put a roof on it, and set up a microbrewry. Call it "Holy Spirits".

It appears the building is too far gone to be saved. But with its close proximity to the new Camden complex and EDGE condos, it would be a great location for just such place.

I took this photo last year of the church in question, correct me if I'm wrong. As you can see there is no wall on the East or South.

Personally I love this place and would love to see it protected (by the city) and restored by whomever (parishoners etc). I will say that after walking around the church, it seems to be dangerously close to falling over.

DSC_0398.jpg

Edited by Gary

• 1 year later...

The Houston city council approved a proposal for a new park in Midtown today. The park will be surrounded by the walls of a church that was once severly damaged by a fire in 2005. The park will take 2yrs to be completed. I'll post more info; renderings later.

Edited by UpuPUp!

not sure i'd call this midtown like khou is calling it. this is more 4th ward. here are some conceptual plans.

I like the concept of reusing the facade of the old burnt out church, but this seems like one of those parks that's meant to be glanced at a couple times by a new resident rather than intensively used. I would hope that they would at least place receptacles for dog feces on the site. And what's with the wavy chain link fence?

Shell of burned-out church to become Midtown park

05:25 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

By Lee McGuire / 11 News

HOUSTON -- The fenced-off remnants of a gutted Fourth Ward church are about to become the centerpiece of a new Houston park.

The Houston City Council voted Wednesday to buy the land and what

Very interesting development. This gutted church is visible from my office, and any of the west-facing offices at the edge of downtown. It's surrounded by Larry Davis townhomes (the metal ones). I think this park idea is a pretty neat way to preserve what's left of it.

Needless to say, it'll do wonders for the property values of the surrounding townhomes. If I had one of them I'd be doing cartwheels. When these homes were under construction, this was an abandoned, decrepit church. Then it was a burned-out, eyesore of a safety hazard. Now it'll be a very unique park. What better turnaround could the homeowners have hoped for? Somebody must have a friend on the city council! ;)

Edited by MyEvilTwin

not sure i'd call this midtown like khou is calling it. this is more 4th ward. here are some conceptual plans.

I think this is really an inventive idea.

No, this is certainly not Midtown. I hate when they try to change our traditional boundries.

Very interesting development. This gutted church is visible from my office, and any of the west-facing offices at the edge of downtown. It's surrounded by Larry Davis townhomes (the metal ones). I think this park idea is a pretty neat way to preserve what's left of it.

Needless to say, it'll do wonders for the property values of the surrounding townhomes. If I had one of them I'd be doing cartwheels. When these homes were under construction, this was an abandoned, decrepit church. Then it was a burned-out, eyesore of a safety hazard. Now it'll be a very unique park. What better turnaround could the homeowners have hoped for? Somebody must have a friend on the city council! ;)

No, somebody has money.

The boundries of Montrose, Midtown and 4th Ward can be a little confusing, I suppose. I had questioned whether Union Bar was in Montrose or Midtown, so I looked it up. It's about 1 block out of Montrose and into Midtown.

Anyway, I think this park development will be an excellent addition for the 4th Ward residents. :D