nolaboy

Memorial Hermann TMC Expansion (Master Plan)

nolaboy    40

A friend forwarded this internal email sent to Memorial Hermann TMC employees from the CEO earlier this week.

Over the last year, we have had many discussions about the upcoming Master Plan to renovate and expand the Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center Campus.

Today, I’m proud to announce that the Memorial Hermann System Board unanimously approved the project. 

The board’s approval of this $650 million construction venture sets the stage for us to not only upgrade our current infrastructure, but also to enhance our ability to provide the highest-quality and safest health care for our community for many decades to come.    

The focus of the project will be the construction of two new buildings on Campus.  One will be a new, state-of-the-art patient care building and the other will offer additional parking and infrastructure capabilities to support the new growth. The expansion will provide the Campus with:

•       An additional 160 beds;

•       25 operating rooms (19 replacement ORs and 6 new ORs);

•       16 additional emergency room bays;

•       750 new parking spaces; and a

•       333-seat café.

In addition, we recognize that our community will grow and so will its health care needs. To prepare for future growth, we are designing the building with a forward-looking perspective and adding six shelled floors and six shelled operating rooms with the potential of adding 264 beds. As our community continues to expand, this will allow for the continued growth of the service lines on our Campus. 

The approval of this project builds upon the tremendous growth at Memorial Hermann-TMC over the last year. In June 2013, the Board approved $50 million to address short-term capacity projects on our Campus, establishing a new observation unit, expanding the post-acute care unit and building out new inpatient beds, operating rooms and an expansion of imaging capabilities.

We are excited about our growth and future, but I want to assure our patients and the community that we will continue to meet their needs now without disruption as we prepare to meet their needs in the future.

As we work on the upcoming construction plan, please stay tuned for important news and information related to the project in our various publications and throughout the Campus. 

Your invaluable partnership is making a difference and I hope that you feel the same pride I do to be a part of this seminal moment in our hospital and System’s history. Thank you for the great work you are doing here!

post-11790-0-75366700-1397051668.jpg

• Like 5

lockmat    1853

The bottom of the email didn't have fine print saying, "this email is intended for it's intended audience" etc? Haha

Good to hear

• Like 1

bobruss    2366

So is this  addition going up on the block just east  of  Herman Hospital on Cambridge between Ben Taub, facing Herman park or will this front the Fannin side?

nolaboy    40

So is this  addition going up on the block just east  of  Herman Hospital on Cambridge between Ben Taub, facing Herman park or will this front the Fannin side?

It will be next to MH Childrens -- Cambridge side overlooking Hermann Park.

bobruss    2366

Thanks thats what I thought. isn't that the lot that either has or had the old log cabin on it.

Houston19514    2113

It appears to be the former (along Cambridge, facing Hermann Park).

plumber2    180

No, the log cabin sits on Hermann Park land.

This project most probably is on land that once belonged to the Shriners.

Triton    8661

The bottom of the email didn't have fine print saying, "this email is intended for it's intended audience" etc? Haha

Good to hear

It probably did.

Houston19514    2113

Thanks thats what I thought. isn't that the lot that either has or had the old log cabin on it.

No.  The log cabin is a bit further to the east/southeast.

Urbannizer    29877

784x2048.jpg

He said reduced reimbursements from government programs such as Medicare and Medcaid and outdated buildings and infrastructure are forcing the health system, Houston's largest, to take on the project, expected to begin this summer. The expansion is to be completed in 2018.

13898732424_b9b19dfbb3_b.jpg

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/medical/article/Memorial-Hermann-to-begin-expansion-renovation-5406802.php?cmpid=btfpm

• Like 4

nolaboy    40

I noticed 3 Life Flight helipads ontop of the new building. The 4 existing ones are not shown on top of the Childrens building. I wonder if the 3 new ones will be in addition to the existing.

monarch    2734

$650.000.000.00, is quite the huge sum, as per a project that is so very uninspiring.  are they sure?

Edited by monarch

Subdude    1278

I like this.  In general I like building complexes that grow and morph over time using different architectural styles.  Another great example in Houston is IAH.  No one would ever plan out an airport like that from scratch, but it's cool that there are parts dating from the 1960s - 2000s that more or less work together.  

swtsig    2091

that's bc not onlyhave glass prices shot though the roof there are also serious supply constraints on curtian wall glass. not surprising.

• Like 1

Montrose1100    2631

It wasn't a grand design in the first place, so this is just different. Looks like it will tie into the original buildings better now.

• Like 1