Urbannizer

Latitude Med Center, 38-Story Residential Tower and Interconiental Hotel, 22-Story Hotel

Urbannizer    29877

Hotel.jpg

This HOK-designed hotel and apartment building is planned for a site on Main Street in the Texas Medical Center.

The full- service hotel will have about 250 rooms, a large percentage of which will be suites catering to medical center guests needing long-term stays, and approximately 40 to 60 apartments, according to TRC Capital Partners, an affiliate of the Redstone Cos., which will develop and own the property with Houston-based Medistar Corp.

HOK’s Roger Soto designed the building, which also will have as much as 20,000 square feet of meeting space.

Construction is expected to start in by year-end at 6750 Main. The group said it is evaluating hotel brands and operators.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/04/texas-medical-center-to-get-new-hotel/?cmpid=businesshcat

• Like 7

brian0123    358

This is awesome and badly needed in the area. The lack of hotels and (non-chain) eating places near one of the busiest parts of our city always stumps me. Something like this is also needed down near Reliant (rumors are a Holiday Inn is coming at least).

Avossos    868

It looks good to me. I hope it doesnt have the "medical" vibe and is just a nice hotel.

• Like 1

lockmat    1853

I like it. I hope they include a nice restaurant and upscale bar--they would be great additions for the area.

This hotel is geared towards people in visiting the TMC. I think the design is modest because they're being considerate of the reason people are there. I have doubts that they will try to make too flashy, not that upscale or nice necessarily is, but I don't think they're looking to be trendy. But that's just my hunch.

Luminare    1430

They need a lot of things in this area period. While it looks like a busy downtown area, it always seemed like a commuter destination and that there was nothing immediately around the area to make it a truely functional urban core. Would be nice if more apartments/condos/hotels/ anything for that matter were intermixed in this part of town or at least within walking distance of the TMC. This will also help relieve the demand for parking. Not to mention it's in a great area of town with lots of things to do.

• Like 1

OkieEric    381

There's a new sign up on the site with the above rendering and "Coming 2017"

No indication of hotel brand

• Like 3

cloud713    3536

great news! this one has grown on me. i think i like it even more now than when it first came out. seems like the perfect fit for the TMC.

toxtethogrady    691

Working backwards, I'm guessing this one's still on target to begin construction early in 2015. Three months either side of that timeline aren't going to make a difference.

Edited by toxtethogrady

LarryDierker    3129

There's a new sign up on the site with the above rendering and "Coming 2017"

No indication of hotel brand

Here's the sign

15381495502_fb4422ff4f_o.jpgIMG_1318 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Across the street is a green fence.

15195126230_4369a638e4_o.jpgIMG_1319 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Looks like a bank, bummer.

15381786845_b2ce340c87_o.jpgIMG_1320 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Edited by LarryDierker
  • Like 6

OkieEric    381

There was a Bank of America drive through there before, so I guess they are just replacing it...seems like good real estate for what I'm sure will be a generic bank branch, but then again across Main St is a Pizza Hut

Subdude    1278

It was a while back, but at one point I think that triangle of land (Holcombe, Main, Old Main) was proposed for a sort of gateway monument for the Med Center.  We have a thread about it somewhere.

Fortune    413

Hotel/residential tower

Developer: Houston-based TRC Capital Partners and Houston-based Medistar Corp.

Original plan: In April, developers said they would start construction later in the year on an HOK-designed 22-story hotel/residential building next to the Texas Medical Center.

Update: "We've been working on refining the programming and putting together the financing package," TRC president and CEO Steve Lerner said, adding that a start date has not been determined.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 5