1711 Caroline: Multifamily At 1711 Caroline St.

Urbannizer

I walked this area today. I took some pics but it says they are too big to upload.

I really like the area. It seemed nicely treed, the area is quiet but close to a lot. It didn't seem as dead as I remembered. I can't wait to see what the addition of residents do.

Edited by HoustonIsHome

This one was recently announced abs I already forgot about it.

Don't think it will be anything memorable about it especially being sandwiched between a 10 storey building and a 21 storey building.

I guess alliance is going up first and will have more visibility being right on the train line. I guess I will use Alliance as a measure to see how well I can stomach this type of residential in the middle of towers downtown.

This development will be next to blocks with buildings that are 100 feet tall or more on the northeast, the east, the south east, the south and the southwest. So five of the adjacent 8 blocks will have decent heights, Two of the remaining three are ripe for development (one is empty, the other has a uhaul and parking), the third is owned by the co cathedral.

At least the 7 storey fingers development is good looking, its massive and has many other short structures near. Thus one and Alliance just makes me want to ask "what were they thinking"

they were probably thinking "how do we maximize our profits?"

crazy idea.

• Like 1

they were probably thinking "how do we maximize our profits?"

crazy idea.

So the other developers building all around this development doesn't know about this magic maximize profits idea? Are they the only one that knows about?

They gonna be mad at you now, you let the zillions of other developments around this know the secret.

• 2 weeks later...

New residential planned for south downtown near the two planned Camden blocks + the Orion block

5-story

220-unit residential building

Developer: Leon Capital Group

Est. construction start 4Q 2014

Est. completion 2Q 2016

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-05-08/140505_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

Edited by downtownian
  • Like 1

A public program to subsidize new housing in downtown has attracted another developer, who wants to build 220 luxury apartments in the southern end of the city center.

Dallas-based Leon Capital Group is working with the Hensley Lamkin Rachel architecture firm, also of Dallas, to design a building with high-end residential units and "resort-style amenities," according to the developer's website. The project is expected to break ground by the end of the year on a block bounded by Pease, Jefferson, Austin and Caroline.

The new complex is the latest to be approved under the city's Downtown Living Initiative program, which gives developers tax breaks of as much as $15,000 for each residence built in a complex of at least 10 units, providing they meet design guidelines. The idea behind the program is to provide a financial boost to developers faced with the high costs of building downtown.

The cap on the number of units that could benefit from the program was raised to 5,000 from 2,500 last month.

So far, 3,642 units have been approved, reports Bob Eury, executive director of the downtown management district.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Residential-developer-seeks-to-join-the-downtown-5481887.php

• Like 1

Wow, it seems like in several years we will have a blight-free downtown since all these new residents will want to clean things up near where they live, for example: the Savoy is getting redone and Texas Tower is gone.

I am just thinking, what are the blight building left? so we can check them off the list as they renovate or demolish (not counting parking lots, of course).

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30146-what-happened-to-downtowns-major-vacant-buildings/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

sorry if there is already a thread on this. i dont recall hearing anything about this until the new development map came out last night. looks like the residential population of southern downtown will continue to grow. this will bridge the gap between the 10 8 story apartment mid-rise by Allied Orion, and the 21 story apartment towers by Camden.

Leon Capital Group
220 Units
5 stories

• Like 3

sorry if there is already a thread on this. i dont recall hearing anything about this until the new development map came out last night. looks like the residential population of southern downtown will continue to grow. this will bridge the gap between the 10 8 story apartment mid-rise by Allied Orion, and the 21 story apartment towers by Camden.

Leon Capital Group

220 Units

5 stories

It was listed in May.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-05-08/140505_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

And it is a crying shame, IMO, that there is a bland mid-rise going up there. Mid-rises are for mid-town. Highrises are for downtown.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

oops.. i wonder why a thread was never made for it?

yeah. i sort of agree, but the key at the moment is building up the residential population. plus, there are so many surface lots still left in downtown that a few mid-rises wont be the end of the world. who knows.. maybe in 20-30 years when the property values are that much higher the owners of these mid-rises will tear them down in favor of more high-rise towers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...