Heights Mercantile At 714 Yale St.

s3mh

Maybe I've been downtown too long, but that loks like a lot of parking versus how much space the buildings take up.  I mean each parking lot is at least the size of it's associated building if not bigger.

This is why parking minimums are terrible.

Regarding this project, remember that they don't get credit for the street spaces on 7th, as these are considered public spaces, and not exclusively for the use of this development. (They asked, neighbors complained, CoH denied.)

This kind of development is required to have at least 4 spaces per 1000 s.f. (depending on how much space is dedicated to restaurants). Depending on layout, 4 spaces takes up about 1000 s.f. 

There are minimal off-street spaces on the south side of 7th St, so the parking required for the square footage of buildings 1 & 2 has to be provided by the lots north of 7th St. Also, I think Bldg 4 is two stories, so it requires more parking than its footprint would indicate.

End result: 175-ft of Heights Blvd frontage will become surface parking lots.

I am not surprised by the lack of progress.  There are better priced and more easily TABC licensed areas in other parts of the Heights.  Why bother with the hassle?

It is interesting that the new rendition on the website does not reflect the new intersection island planned at 7th and Yale to allow a safer pedestrian crossing.  The new configuration removes several parking spaces that are depicted.

Curious that the developer did not opt to orient the parking to the rear.  I guess keeping the historic buildings which then allows him to utilize decreased and grandfathered parking minimums was a bigger priority. 

Also, that looks like a nice dumpster placement right behind residences with no trees or extra high wall to block it.  In my opinion, the developer is insensitive to the neighborhood at best.

Finally, it is interesting that the developer refers to a "White Oak district" of restaurants when it clearly apparent that planning a restaurant west of Oxford and east of Yale is doomed due to TABC licensing restrictions in that area (no dinner service at Revival, Gelazzi cannot serve pizza, and Happy Fatz is on the verge of closing their meal service because a home is being built on what was their parking lot).

I am not surprised by the lack of progress.  There are better priced and more easily TABC licensed areas in other parts of the Heights.  Why bother with the hassle?

Because about 750 multifamily units are going up across the street and this is a central location in the Heights with easy highway access for everyone else.

It is interesting that the new rendition on the website does not reflect the new intersection island planned at 7th and Yale to allow a safer pedestrian crossing.  The new configuration removes several parking spaces that are depicted.

The spaces on 7th do not count towards their parking minimums.  They had to put a big parking lot right on Heights Blvd to meet their parking minimums.  It should be forever known as the "HeightsPeep" parking lot because of the noise you and your neighbors made to block the parking variance.  Thanks for that.

Curious that the developer did not opt to orient the parking to the rear.  I guess keeping the historic buildings which then allows him to utilize decreased and grandfathered parking minimums was a bigger priority. 

Did you look at the rendering?  The parking is oriented to the rear on Yale.  Would you prefer that the developer demo the two bungalows and put in a strip mall?  Is that you Mr. Ainbinder?

Also, that looks like a nice dumpster placement right behind residences with no trees or extra high wall to block it.  In my opinion, the developer is insensitive to the neighborhood at best.

The rendering clearly shows landscaping around the dumpsters.  And have you seen what is there right now?  Do you want it to remain an industrial facility?  It is just about the right size for a PVC extruder plant.  Maybe the plans will fall through and the neighbors can smell cooking PVC all day instead of pomme frites and salmon.

Finally, it is interesting that the developer refers to a "White Oak district" of restaurants when it clearly apparent that planning a restaurant west of Oxford and east of Yale is doomed due to TABC licensing restrictions in that area (no dinner service at Revival, Gelazzi cannot serve pizza, and Happy Fatz is on the verge of closing their meal service because a home is being built on what was their parking lot).

Are you actually relishing shutting down Happy Fatz?  (the lot next door was not their parking).  Happy Fatz opened in the Heights long before anyone would even think about it.  They are a Heights original and it would be a huge loss if they closed. 

TABC is not going to be able to deny club licenses to restaurants planned for Yale and 7th when they gave Dry Creek a club license.  That goes beyond their administrative discretion to be a constitutional violation of due process.  TABC is also catching on that residents in the Heights are using opposition to club licenses as a pretext to limit development.  8 Row Flint got their license despite gripes from neighbors. 

This development is going to happen.  It is going to be a huge success and an asset for the neighborhood.  The only thing noisy neighbors have accomplished is getting a parking lot on Heights Blvd. 

• Like 4

try harder...

disgusting. 

• Like 2

Ahhhhhh......I get it.....a troll? You can't be for real. 

• Like 1

...and no one goes to Coltivare anymore because the lines are too long.

• Like 3

i've actually offered the developer a great deal of money to place the dumpster directly in your living room. fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The work on the hike and bike path is being done to install a "Toucan" signal at the Yale St. crossing.  Residents lobbied for a protected crossing at that intersection because it is crazy dangerous, especially if you have kids.  The City resisted doing anything based on their arbitrary traffic count standards and the fact that no one has been hit (seriously, the City was just about saying that someone had to get hit before they felt obligated to install any sort of protected crossing for pedestrians).  Finally, the City gave in and agreed to install a Toucan signal at 7th and Yale.  Trammell Crow agreed to pay for it. 

Thanks to the brilliant traffic engineering standards set by the geniuses in Austin, the crossing at Yale for the hike and bike path actually makes pedestrians and cyclists all cross in the middle of 7th st and then wait in the median for the light to change before crossing 7th to resume traveling east bound on the hike and bike path.  For some reason, this is the only way you can have a "Toucan" signal (i.e. two can cross-bikes and pedestrians) is if the crossing is in the median of the intersection.  I assume that the logic behind it is that it allows people to cross without having to worry about getting hit by cars making a right turn on Yale from 7th.  But this just shows the incredible extent to which planners are pro car/anti pedestrian-bike.  They should just keep the crossing where it is and make all traffic stop, including 7th st., when the crossing is illuminated. 

This all was planned long before Heights Mercantile came on the scene and the new apartments were more of an impetus to get this done.  I did see a green tag for sewer disconnect on the old Pappas warehouse and saw some workers in back the other day.  Cannot wait for that warehouse to come down.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Heights Mercantile submitted a permit for use and occupancy of public street right-of-way at 645 Heights Blvd with the city of Houston last week:

If it's for an overhang over the sidewalk that would provide shade from the sun and protection from rain then I say, "Yes". 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cloud10 would be a great addition.

W/r/t parking, they appear to have acquired some additional land (the former Golden Eagle buildings) immediately north of the two bungalows on Heights Blvd, which will be converted to surface parking lots.

Site plan is here.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure what will come, but I know the food establishments will NOT have alcohol since it is in the dry part of the Heights and in a residential area.  No one wants their family to live right near a late night drinking crowd.  Any TABC attempt will be cost prohibitive expensive and likely fizzle like Gelazzi.

39 minutes ago, HeightsPeep said:

Not sure what will come, but I know the food establishments will NOT have alcohol since it is in the dry part of the Heights and in a residential area.  No one wants their family to live right near a late night drinking crowd.  Any TABC attempt will be cost prohibitive expensive and likely fizzle like Gelazzi.

thats downright lol stuff right there.  

to answer the question without speculation and conjecture - DEFINE fitness is one of the tenants.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HeightsPeep said:

what happened to Gelazzi?

9 hours ago, Triton said:

what happened to Gelazzi?

Reader's digest version:  Gelazzi wanted to serve gelato with booze in it and applied for TABC permit.  There is no specific permit for spiked gelato.  So, the permit application was for a full bar.  Neighbors took it as an opportunity to vent frustrations with Coltivare's parking issues by stridently opposing the permit, claiming that the tiny gelato shop would turn into a Washington Ave. style bar because the permit was for a full bar.  The owners gave up on the permit.  

• Like 1

Gelazzi is an odd case for a couple of reasons. 

First, to get a private club license, the establishment has to serve "meals" to its members. At the time, I think Gelazzi had yet to start selling pizza. While my son might beg to differ, I'm not sure an ice cream sandwich constitutes a meal. Second, a private club license requires that alcohol be consumed on-premise only. If the reason for the permit was ice cream with booze in it, anyone who buys that kind of ice cream has to consume in on-premise. They can't, say, buy a pint in a take-away container or eat their cone while talking an after-dinner stroll. 

Also, I'm not sure if changes in the licensing would have triggered off-street parking requirements. I don't think they currently have any off-street spaces.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lululemon has signage up at 713 Heights Blvd, the second of the two bungalows heading northbound on Heights that are part of the development.  I guess Cloud 10 creamery is going in the other bungalow and Melange Creperie is going in the newly constructed building behind that bungalow.  I was hoping that 713 Heights would be Melange or Cloud 10 because their is a nice deck in back and some space out front for tables.  But I guess Lululemon would certainly be able to write a much bigger rent check to have their store front the Blvd than Melange could.