Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

I don't think any major grocery store can easily split the main shopping floors between two levels. To me it looks like this one willl be two floors. But, the second floor is probably a dining/lounge mezzanine, or something. If customers are going to be pushing carts, it's got to be one floor, and maybe a parking garage. But searching for items on your list, between two floors, just won't work. At least not here. Yet. Can anyone think of any examples of major grocery stores that cover two floors in this way?

No. Phoenicia is two levels of shopping but I consider it a "specialty" store, not a major grocer like HEB, Randalls or Kroger

Target has two level stores in places like Minneapolis, Chicago and Denver. 

Whole Foods has several cart escalator stores but it's usually to get to a parking garage.

H-E-B just opened a two level store in San Antonio. (Uses inclined magnetized conveyor)

There's a 3 story Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, I'd say where it is but I've caused enough trouble for one thread.  ;)

target-001.jpg

348s.jpg

Edited by Mr. Mojito
  • Like 5

I know that there are tons of department stores that are more than one level (Target, Walmart, Macy's of course). And, that there are plenty of stacked parking garages that use different escalator designes to handle the traffic. I haven't seen the San Antonio HEB. Does it really have its grocery products on seperate levels? Phoenicia...many people probably don't even realize that there is a second floor. If you had a cart, I'm not sure how'd you get it up there. Definitely a different not the same as a major grocer.

Anyway, my point is that WF could not "easily" create a store that utilizes a smaller (or even standard) block size, like there are in Midtown and downtown. So, closing Rosalie is necessary. And if we are to see another Major grocer in midtown or downtown, it'll will very likely have to be a similar scenario, or be on an elevated floor which bridges a street. This is a major problem for any Major Grocerry store. Randall's Midtown is what you can get, which isn't bad, but you can't call it a "major" store. Btw. Any idea what the square footage of Randall's is anyone?

I've had experience with two level grocery stores while in Europe. Saw one while in Italy and one in the UK. There are plenty of examples out there. One thing that needs to be dismissed from everyones minds is the concept of the shopping cart (at least in the way we think about it) Since many of us have lived at one point or another in Suburban America we are used to shopping carts being enormous! In this type of setting the shopping cart would be vastly reduced in size (at least a 1/3 of the size of a normal American style shopping cart).

• Like 6

Anyway, my point is that WF could not "easily" create a store that utilizes a smaller (or even standard) block size, like there are in Midtown and downtown. So, closing Rosalie is necessary. And if we are to see another Major grocer in midtown or downtown, it'll will very likely have to be a similar scenario, or be on an elevated floor which bridges a street. This is a major problem for any Major Grocerry store. Randall's Midtown is what you can get, which isn't bad, but you can't call it a "major" store. Btw. Any idea what the square footage of Randall's is anyone?

Randall's in Midtown is a full-size major grocery store. The problem is that people here expect an 80,000 square foot grocery store (or bigger) even in an urban setting, which is totally unrealistic. 

• Like 6

If Randall's Midtown is considered a Major Grocery Store than why are people always saying, "what downtown/midtown needs is a major grocery store"? It's got one. But, you are right...a full size HEB (or similar), like Montrose Market, is not what we should expect. But, clearly a product like WF's has a minimum footprint in which they require.

• Like 2

If Randall's Midtown is considered a Major Grocery Store than why are people always saying, "what downtown/midtown needs is a major grocery store"? It's got one. But, you are right...a full size HEB (or similar), like Montrose Market, is not what we should expect. But, clearly a product like WF's has a minimum footprint in which they require.

I think what people are meaning is....a grocery store like THIS ONE :P Its clear that Randalls is a suburban store shoehorned into a midtown lot.

• Like 1

Per a Hines rep from a recent ULI panel discussion, he thinks downtown needs a Whole Foods, too.

I think we can all agree :)

Cool video. Hines can lead the way on this. Build a residential and hotel tower with a two-story Whole Foods on the bottom on Block 45 (Main and Prairie). Boom, there you go.

• Like 1

In Houston, if you build it, the people will come. I think just about anything will work in this city because it shows clear as day that the people would love a more urban experience in this city. I work in Midtown, and there are so many people walking to school, work ,etc. I love it.

• Like 1

Here is an interesting quote from the Austin Business Journal about the new lower end brand that Whole Foods is testing in the NE.

QTE:

The stores will be about 25,000 square feet, which is a little less than two-thirds the size of the average 40,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market.

UNQTE:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/retail/2015/05/whole-paycheck-no-more-whole-foods-to-test-its.html

So, it seems likely that the Midtown WF's will be a mainline store.

• Like 1

The problem with randalls is that it is overpriced.

They do have good specials on meat though.

And the customer service at the deli is poor but I like their soups, sandwiches and a few other things.

They say that prices will drop and the merchandise mix will improve sometime in the next few months for former Safeway divisions, but I haven't spent enough time in Randalls stores to observe that (yet).

The Randall's in midtown is one of the most poorly run grocery stores I have frequented.  I used to live next door and I decided that their general milk stocking time is never.  First thing in the morning, out of half of the types of milk.  Early afternoon, same.  Evening, same.  I like milk.

• Like 1

I talked to the artist the first weekend when he started, he said he had a one year contract from Morgan to provide art till they tear the building down. I'm sure it's probably part of their advertising budget. Graffiti is meant to be temporary.

Is there any chance that when they tear this building down they can keep that whole wall intact, truck it down to the MFAH, tear down a section of wall in the Law building to get it in, and set it up on permanent display in the grand open space?

(Just trying to outdo some of y'all...)

• 2 months later...

The Randall's in midtown is one of the most poorly run grocery stores I have frequented.  I used to live next door and I decided that their general milk stocking time is never.  First thing in the morning, out of half of the types of milk.  Early afternoon, same.  Evening, same.  I like milk.

That location is horrid. Abysmal. I can't think of appropriate words to accurately describe how bad they are at reliably keeping things stocked.

The worst thing is, I don't think they particularly care. When I am forced to go in there the parking lot and lines are always full. They can have the worst stocked pantry ever and people will still shop there.

Whole Foods can't open soon enough, and not because I want to shop there, just the contrary, I don't, but I want them to draw enough customers away from this Randalls so that someone wakes up and decides to take action and make it better.