Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that photo makes it look like there's only 3 levels of residential currently (notice balconies only on the top 3 floors). If there's going to be 4 levels of residential that makes it easy for someone like me that is a musician at heart to count the number of floors, and there's one missing. :) 

So this is coming in off the spur.  

Seeing that image offers a whole new perspective and scale  to  the thought of coming into downtown. Ten years ago, this  image  would've been closer to the Webster, or W. Gray intersection, and way before you encountered any thing like this. And this density starts back at Herman Park.

It's amazing how much massing has occurred in such a short time. Midtown has almost filled in.

It will be interesting to see how  density numbers have changed in Midtown over the last 15 years. I think at some point in the not distant future, the Downtown/Midtown's, density levels will necessitate, and expedite +, the creation of a new congressional district.  I've always maintained that our Midtown, would become a smaller version of Manhattan's.

I see some similarities in the way our Downtown, Midtown, Hermann park, and Texas Med Center are laid out, in comparison to that of Manhattan's. I realize there's no comparison in scale, size, or sheer numbers.  I haven't checked to see what the size and scale difference is, in sq. miles, and park acreage. Or from tip to tip. 

It appears that most of Midtown will be  in the 5-8 story range residential blocks, with some mid rises and a few high rises.

A Williams Tower, height building would be a skyline Game Changer!

Can you imagine the view from one of those extremely high overpasses out on the beltway coming into 59, that allows you to see all three skylines in one sweeping panorama.

It's best to be a passenger, so you can take it all in, and not end up doing a high dive off the barrier.

Now picture that 65 story building smack dab in the middle of Midtown. It would become that central piece that would be like a beacon connecting Downtown to the Med Center. That skyline shot would be pretty spectacular, and rival just about any.

Speaking of our med center. It's turned into quite a  jewel box full of wonderful gems.

If you haven't driven up Bertner from O.S.T., all the way to Baylor you'll be in for a treat.

At OST,  just before turning onto Bertner your view of the southern end of the med center gives you a great spot to see how TMC3, will fit into the grid. Once  TMC3, is built TMC, will be solid to OST, with several U.T. and M.D. Anderson, buildings south. 

The first thing you'll notice is how expansive it's become, and  how modern and new everything is. Except for the imposing fortress like garage at Holcombe, which is probably the most stifling edifice in TMC, everything else is fresh and reflective. The landscaping, lighting, and water features provide a cohesive, public realm with nice sidewalks and abundant shade trees. 

A walk through the area is calming and recuperative. Flowers are abundant

The new Methodist is pretty much finished and it has some beautiful lines.

The architects did an excellent job of transitioning into the new Methodist, with the continuation of the dark glazing and undulating walls. The new Methodist has a very Modern look and I like the top. Something about the top of the building reminds me of the old Prudential building. Sure miss it and the Shamrock.  

+  Brooklyn 173

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 6

Midtown is less than a square mile. There's no way that plus Downtown gets a congressional district. Congressional districts for Texas are currently around 700,000 population, not the 20,000 or so that live in the middle of town

• Like 2

Even if Downtown/Midtown did increase its population enough to warrant being its own congressional district, it would never happen.
This is Texas, where liberal enclaves are chopped into mincemeat, and congressional districts are shaped to include both Kerrville and Austin.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/11/2018 at 11:37 PM, bobruss said:

So this is coming in off the spur.  

Seeing that image offers a whole new perspective and scale  to  the thought of coming into downtown. Ten years ago, this  image  would've been closer to the Webster, or W. Gray intersection, and way before you encountered any thing like this. And this density starts back at Herman Park.

It's amazing how much massing has occurred in such a short time. Midtown has almost filled in.

It will be interesting to see how  density numbers have changed in Midtown over the last 15 years. I think at some point in the not distant future, the Downtown/Midtown's, density levels will necessitate, and expedite +, the creation of a new congressional district.  I've always maintained that our Midtown, would become a smaller version of Manhattan's.

I see some similarities in the way our Downtown, Midtown, Hermann park, and Texas Med Center are laid out, in comparison to that of Manhattan's. I realize there's no comparison in scale, size, or sheer numbers.  I haven't checked to see what the size and scale difference is, in sq. miles, and park acreage. Or from tip to tip. 

It appears that most of Midtown will be  in the 5-8 story range residential blocks, with some mid rises and a few high rises.

A Williams Tower, height building would be a skyline Game Changer!

Can you imagine the view from one of those extremely high overpasses out on the beltway coming into 59, that allows you to see all three skylines in one sweeping panorama.

It's best to be a passenger, so you can take it all in, and not end up doing a high dive off the barrier.

Now picture that 65 story building smack dab in the middle of Midtown. It would become that central piece that would be like a beacon connecting Downtown to the Med Center. That skyline shot would be pretty spectacular, and rival just about any.

Speaking of our med center. It's turned into quite a  jewel box full of wonderful gems.

If you haven't driven up Bertner from O.S.T., all the way to Baylor you'll be in for a treat.

At OST,  just before turning onto Bertner your view of the southern end of the med center gives you a great spot to see how TMC3, will fit into the grid. Once  TMC3, is built TMC, will be solid to OST, with several U.T. and M.D. Anderson, buildings south. 

The first thing you'll notice is how expansive it's become, and  how modern and new everything is. Except for the imposing fortress like garage at Holcombe, which is probably the most stifling edifice in TMC, everything else is fresh and reflective. The landscaping, lighting, and water features provide a cohesive, public realm with nice sidewalks and abundant shade trees. 

A walk through the area is calming and recuperative. Flowers are abundant

The new Methodist is pretty much finished and it has some beautiful lines.

The architects did an excellent job of transitioning into the new Methodist, with the continuation of the dark glazing and undulating walls. The new Methodist has a very Modern look and I like the top. Something about the top of the building reminds me of the old Prudential building. Sure miss it and the Shamrock.  

+  Brooklyn 173

I read in some article that TMC is bigger than downtown Dallas in square miles.  

• 3 weeks later...