Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

But OPP's four parking levels include resident and Phoenicia parking, too.

I don't live there but I am told that OPP has two levels of parking for Phoenicia and guests and then 4 levels on top of that for residents.  And the parking garage is a full block wide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a webcam for this project? There looks like a camera possibly on a mast on the roof of the adjacent apartment bldg.

How does one find these webcams generally?  It doesn't seem possible to search Oxblue, etc. without knowing the exact link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'm fine with parking garages, as long as they still have some interaction at the street level (ground floor retail, offices, nice lobby area) and don't look butt ugly.

One 5 story parking garage frees up 4 other blocks from parking lot duty

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Personally, I'm fine with parking garages, as long as they still have some interaction at the street level (ground floor retail, offices, nice lobby area) and don't look butt ugly.

One 5 story parking garage frees up 4 other blocks from parking lot duty

This.

As long as most people drive most places, the market will demand a significant amount of parking (whether city-mandated or not). And the #1 predictor of how many people arrive at a given destination by private vehicle is activity density (the number of residents + jobs in a given area). As long as 1/2 to 3/4 of the land area of even the most valuable parts of our city are dedicated to automobiles, the activity density will never be high enough to result in people choosing other forms of transportation. 

So every s.f. of structured parking is a s.f. of land freed up for other development. We need to build more parking garages so that, someday, we won't need so many parking garages.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2018 at 11:27 AM, Angostura said:

This.

As long as most people drive most places, the market will demand a significant amount of parking (whether city-mandated or not). And the #1 predictor of how many people arrive at a given destination by private vehicle is activity density (the number of residents + jobs in a given area). As long as 1/2 to 3/4 of the land area of even the most valuable parts of our city are dedicated to automobiles, the activity density will never be high enough to result in people choosing other forms of transportation. 

So every s.f. of structured parking is a s.f. of land freed up for other development. We need to build more parking garages so that, someday, we won't need so many parking garages.

Or just end parking minimums city wide.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Or just end parking minimums city wide.

I'm in favor of this, but I don't think eliminating parking minimums will actually have that big an impact on the amount of surface parking. Tenants will still want their customers to have a place to park. Zero minimums would probably allocate parking more efficiently (since locations wouldn't have to have exclusive access to parking during the entirety of their open hours).

I would also support a special levy on land devoted to parking, with an exemption for structured parking, so as to discourage large surface lots in favor of shared parking structures. 

• Like 1