Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ADCS said:

Amazon just snapped up Whole Foods. Wonder if that changes anything about this project?

Well, assuming that the deal closes.  Keep in mind that It might not.......

amazon and WF have signed a merger agreement.  The joint company announcement is silent as to "detailed terms" of that agreement so I don't know what it says.  But a few things to consider:  First, This deal will need anti-trust approval.  I believe that this deal will not be challenged by the government.  Next, since WF is public, there may be a way for a competing bidder to enter the ring.  There is likely a punative breakup fee that would make anyone think twice before diving in but, they might still.  Finally, it could also be (unlikely) that the shareholders don't like the price and don't approve the sale when it comes to a vote.  So, while I agree that this deal is likely going to happen, it's technically not a "done deal" yet.

all that said, I do think that later this year (likely this fall), that Amazon will own Whole Foods but I don't think that fact will alter this store.  

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 7:50 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Well, assuming that the deal closes.  Keep in mind that It might not.......

Generally though, when one of the most valuable companies announces they are partnering/buying/mergering with another company, it's pretty much a guarantee, and shareholders can feel safe that their stock prices aren't going to drop in value. You're right though, there are some pretty good examples of these things falling through at the last minute, usually pushed by outside forces.

I absolutely like the idea of an Amazon locker though, that would be awesome!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 10:27 AM, thatguysly said:

Whole Foods is a smart purchase for Amazon. It gives them instant access to upper income areas for quicker distribution. This demographic is the most likely target for grocery delivery.

This confuses me a bit.  Are you saying that you think that Amazon will be using their WF retail stores as food delivery distribution locations?  Or, said another way, you envision that there will be "pickers" roaming the isles picking orders for home delivery?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

This confuses me a bit.  Are you saying that you think that Amazon will be using their WF retail stores as food delivery distribution locations?  Or, said another way, you envision that there will be "pickers" roaming the isles picking orders for home delivery?

At first it may be pickers but long term distribution centers if home delivery takes off. But this would be the market for it to take off first in. I think Amazon is currently about 1% in the grocery market. Whole foods isn't that much bigger but now they acquire the knowledge of how to run a retail chain. We will see.

12 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Rode by this site today in the passenger's seat of a wrecker. Man, that's a deep hole. Are they doing 3 levels of underground parking?

this was from the original post:

The building will be 8 stories tall consisting of two levels forWholeFoods, 260 apartments, 2 levels for residentparking, and two levels ofundergroundparking forWholeFoods customers. 

So i am not sure that has changed... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gene said:

this was from the original post:

The building will be 8 stories tall consisting of two levels forWholeFoods, 260 apartments, 2 levels for residentparking, and two levels ofundergroundparking forWholeFoods customers. 

So i am not sure that has changed... 

Two levels of resident parking for 260 apartments?  Man, that doesn't seem like enough?  That new market square tower has what?  350 units and has, what? 8 levels of parking?  OPP has 325 units or so and has 4 levels of residential parking?

• Like 1

The footprint of the building is roughly a block and a half.  That's huge.  You can fit a lot of cars per level with that kind of base square footage.  The buildings you reference as comparisons have many floors and a smaller footprint, which would require more levels of parking to accommodate the same number of cars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

The footprint of the building is roughly a block and a half.  That's huge.  You can fit a lot of cars per level with that kind of base square footage.  The buildings you reference as comparisons have many floors and a smaller footprint, which would require more levels of parking to accommodate the same number of cars.

OPP is a block.

i didn't realize that this apartment building was a block and a half.  Thank you.

• Like 1