Alabama Row: Retail Center At 1540 W. Alabama St.

Urbannizer

A new retail center at 1540 W. Alabama. 2015 Completion.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/13122257393_a3ee1d5e11_h.jpg

Urban "in-fill" retail development; new construction; 11,300sf of restaurant and retail space beneath 2.5 floors of structured parking; all "end-cap" lease space; 16' ceilings; 14' glass storefronts; outdoor patio; 117 parking spaces (Ratio 10:1) and bicycle racks.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18596741/1540-W-Alabama-Row-Houston-TX/

• Like 7

this is exactly how you do urban infill retail - somene needs to forward this to braun and remind him that his concept of 19th street is terrible. this also confounds me even further regarding fingers design (or lack thereof) of the "suzanne"... it's not very difficult to design something that matches the neighborhod assuming you don't completely cop-out and just copy an existing design of one of your other building.

• Like 3

Garage on top? Never thought of that, sweet! I'd hope other developers would catch on but most likely they'd look stinkin ugly.

There are strip centers in the Village with rooftop parking.  It's a nice idea, but I imagine that it adds a good bit to the construction costs so it won't become widespread. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting solution and I think it fits into the neighborhood nicely. I met the developer two years ago when they first tore down the house across the street from where I was living. We moved over to our current Menil park location and forgot all aout this guys plans. He promised me then that this was going to be a nice looking project and not your run of the mill strip centers. I believe he's a doctor. The east end of this project actually stops just even with the western end of the Menil parking lot which is supposed to be reconstructed starting possibly next week. That new lot is going to be a very nice entrance into the Menil campus with great landscaping.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now this is what I'm talking about! Now if only they could put something on top of that roof and reduce the heat island effect. Thats the only thing bad about this idea. You get a few more of those and that neighborhood is going to heat up in more ways than one lol.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

alabama-row-strip-rendering.jpgalabama-row-strip-facades.jpg

IS THE PARK-in-back strip center now a certifiable thing in Houston? Here’s the latest rendering of the small shopping center designed by Ziegler Cooper Architects for the corner of W. Alabama St. and Mandell St. in Montrose, across the street from the Menil Collection parking lot. Like the smaller center at the corner of Westheimer and Dunlavy now home to the Common Bond bakery and the slightly larger one developed by Braun Enterprises at 20th St. and Rutland in the Heights, Alabama Row scoots up just about as close to the main drag as the city’s development rules will let it. And it looks like the building’s south face, fronting West Alabama, is meant to be seen as its front

http://swamplot.com/new-modern-shopping-center-wants-to-cozy-up-to-the-corner-of-west-alabama-and-mandell/2015-03-18/

• Like 8

Wow this one got the hack saw to it! Doesn't look to bad, but if it took that long to get this one going I expected this to be redesigned. It's a shame they scaled it back so much.

Not a fan of the blue blocking on top. Otherwise it's fine

• Like 1