Baker Hughes Headquarters

Triton

"Sources” are telling reporter Catie Dixon that oilfield services companyBaker Hughes is planning to build a new headquarters for itself far north of its current home (in the America Tower along Allen Pkwy.). A new 400,000-to-500,000-sq.-ft. building,she reports, appears to be under development on a piece of land “just south” of the site where Southwestern Energy has its new offices under construction hugging I-45 just north of the Grand Parkway. That’s just a bit southwest of the site ofExxonMobil’s new campus(where the first employees are moving in this month), as indicated in the older marked-up area plan shown here. Following Dixon’s description, the Baker Hughes tract would likely be the one marked “UC” (for “under contract”) just south of the SWN site in the plan. However, reps from Springwoods Village developers Coventry Development tell her that “Baker Hughes doesn’t have any property under contract in Springwoods Village, and declined to comment on any activity on the aforementioned tract.” 

springwoods-village-map.jpg

Source: Link

Exxon set a trend. Expect more news out of this area... Shell.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"hey, (insert anyone without a suburban minded family / single people), we are moving to conroe area. We will move in 3 years"

response: "Oh sh!t, I need to start sending my resume out now to other companies"

The America Tower is awesome and I feel bad for these employees. Their work lunches in Montrose/River Oaks and jogging along Buffalo Bayou will be replaced with lunches at (insert every restaurant in the burbs here). Plus, the commute on I-45. Yikes.

BHI already doesn't have a real big presence near the city center. The current headquarters is only 4-5 floors of of space and most of their buildings are on the north side anyway, including the Woodlands. This isn't going to be a big change for most employees.

Sounds silly but I wonder if the trees don't play a part in the relocations of all these energy HQ? Makes for a nice backdrop and a more comfortable, cozy place to work. Not to mention the proximity to the Big Airport, the beltway, hardy and 45. Not to mention the higher end residential areas such as Springwoods Village and The Woodlands that can offer great schools, big/new single family homes, safe neighborhoods, ect. I may be off the mark but does make me wonder.

According to speakers at The Woodlands 2014 Economic Outlook Conference, George Mitchell and The Woodlands looms large in the oil/gas industry.  Exxon/Mobil moved where it is to be near The Woodlands.  Repsol, Talisman, Chicago Bridge & Iron, Anadarko, ChevronPhillips Chemical, all wanted to be in The Woodlands environment.  The Woodlands has received national and international recognition by the ULI and the United Nations.  Houston will always have difficulty shedding its environmentally challenged reputation due to our gargantuan industrial complex.  Placing LEED  certified buildings in the forest by or in a nationally recognized community whose central focus is living in concert with nature seems like a good way to improve your image.

The Woodlands amenities may not be as culturally diverse as the loop, but the positive international perception of The Woodlands is certainly a factor.

Oh boy, here come the Woodlands fan boys.

XOM didn't move up there for the trees. Heck, it clear cut the majority of trees that existed on that property and the poachers who are just now starting to follow the $$$ will clear cut even more despite giving their developments woodsy-sounding names.

In 20 years, the "forest" will look like FM 1960. 

XOM moved up there because it could build a security controlled bunker hidden from the public eye and be close to the airport. XOM could care less about being tied to whatever conservation message The Woodlands is presenting. If it did, it would be investing in green energy at least on the same level as its peers. But, it isn't. When the next spill happens, XOM will just be harder to find.

This move has nothing to do with nature conservation, the public schools of Montgomery County, or the "clean air" up there. It has everything to do with the amount of acreage available, the price of the land, and the ability to build a massive bunker away from the general public.

Oh boy, here come the Woodlands fan boys.

XOM didn't move up there for the trees. Heck, it clear cut the majority of trees that existed on that property and the poachers who are just now starting to follow the $$$ will clear cut even more despite giving their developments woodsy-sounding names.

In 20 years, the "forest" will look like FM 1960. 

XOM moved up there because it could build a security controlled bunker hidden from the public eye and be close to the airport. XOM could care less about being tied to whatever conservation message The Woodlands is presenting. If it did, it would be investing in green energy at least on the same level as its peers. But, it isn't. When the next spill happens, XOM will just be harder to find.

This move has nothing to do with nature conservation, the public schools of Montgomery County, or the "clean air" up there. It has everything to do with the amount of acreage available, the price of the land, and the ability to build a massive bunker away from the general public.

Oh boy, here come the anti-Woodlands anti-XOM boys.

Bob Davis, Senior Advisor for XOM stated at the 2014 EOC that they were here to be in The Woodlands.  Either he or the communications manager, Leslie Hushka, I don't remember which, implied that The Woodlands proper did not have the space they needed so they moved as close as possible to Town Center.  They made it clear that their choice to be where they are is because the company wants to be located in George Mitchell's Woodlands.  I, a "Woodlands Fan Boy", was surprised to hear of their commitment, admiration, and respect for George Mitchell and The Woodlands community.

In 20 years, 9000 acres of The Woodlands' 27,000 acres will still be greenspace.  In 20 years, the Spring Creek Greenway Project will still be 12,000 acres of recreational space and protected forests which borders both the southern border of The Woodlands and the northern border of Springwoods Village/XOM.  It is mostly forested flood plan that can never be developed.  Your assertion that the area will look like 1960 is not entirely correct.

Also, I didn't say it had to do with conservation or that they moved here for the trees, I said it had to do with public image.  The design of the campus and the painted garage roofs are all environmentally conscious and being touted as how "sensitive" they are.  To say they aren't worried about public image is absurd.  The XOM campus will have approximately 2500 visitors from all over the world daily; they are hardly "hiding" in a bunker.  It's visible from every overpass, midrise/highrise buildings, and soon to be Grand Parkway.

.............and the thread is about the new Baker Hughes headquarters.  I simply responded to a comment wondering whether these HQs might be choosing locations based on public perception.  I believe, based on public statements by XOM officials, that they did.   You certainly seem to be in the know as to XOM's REAL motivations.  Perhaps you could shed some light on my REAL motivations for living in The Woodlands?  Or Baker Hughes?  Perhaps Baker Hughes is just an XOM sycophant following a diabolical plan to eschew responsibility for future crimes against nature?!!!  eeeegad!!

Where is that Baker Hughes rendering?  Urbanizer?  

The Woodlands is also one of the only parts of Houston (if not the only part) to escape the "Houston image" for out-of-towners, especially around the state. In Dallas, when you say "Houston," people say "Ewww! Gross!" But then when you mention The Woodlands, they're like "Oh yeah... yeah, the Woodlands is kind of nice."

The Woodlands is also one of the only parts of Houston (if not the only part) to escape the "Houston image" for out-of-towners, especially around the state. In Dallas, when you say "Houston," people say "Ewww! Gross!" But then when you mention The Woodlands, they're like "Oh yeah... yeah, the Woodlands is kind of nice."

I take issue on several levels with this statement.

I am sure this will generate a few responses but seriously, is The Woodlands to Houston what Conneticut is to New York?

Hahaha. Sure, just without the commuter rail.

(edit, not laughing at your statement, but at the glaring difference in public transpor compared to the NY/CT corridor)

The real question is how long has Exxon owned the land? I'm sure they were planning this far beyond our comprehension. The Grand Parkway was the final champagne bottle on the ass of moving forward.

It's no secret that Exxon developed early neighborhoods in the Spring area when FM 1960 was a two-lane road with forest on both sides.

Anyways, Baker Hughes is relocating as mentioned above, they don't really have a big chunk in America Tower. The Hardy Toll road is a quick and easy route to the airport, avoiding major traffic and the Woodlands is only a bonus.

I thought wxman was being too kind. Houston should strive to have a world class urban center, but that doesn't mean it should come at the expense of the suburbs. The Woodlands is a huge asset to Houston. And remember, when you disrespect the Houston suburbs, you are disrespecting 95% of Houston itself. 

As to businesses moving to this area, that may be the propaganda that they are moving there for the forest and what not. But at the end of the day, there has to be some type of economical incentive to move to the Woodlands...? Do the Woodlands have any capability of giving tax credits out to get companies to move in? Do the Woodlands have lower taxes than Houston? Just throwing out ideas why corporations may want to move there although I'm sure someone who actually lives in the Woodlands would certainly know more. It's almost always about cutting costs and maximizing profits.

I'm not why you assume that there has to be a tax incentive for a company to move to The Woodlands as there's a number of other potential reasons.  I don't have knowledge about the specifics of Baker Hughes and I'm not sure that anyone else here does, but I think that it's fair to state that both Downtown and The Woodlands are potentially attractive places for a business to locate, albeit different.

We don't know where Baker Hughes employees live, we don't know the preferences of the Baker Hughes team regarding a urban v. suburban environment, we don't know whether Baker Hughes has identified advantages related to recruiting employees to those locations.

Those and a number of other considerations are all valid reasons as to where to locate your business regardless of incentives.

According to a poster over at Swamplot (who is not among the more notorious trolls or water carriers), most of the BHI pooh bahs already live in The Woodlands and some even maintain secondary offices there.  I have no way to confirm or refute that, but it does seem like a reasonable factor in the mix.

I have been reading this site for years and have decided to join so I could share a story with you.

Many, many years ago I was at a local play in Katy when a realtor told us how frustrated she was at Exxon. She then told us how she had taken several top level executive wives all over Houston to show them the best neighborhoods. At this time the Woodlands was in its infancy and Kingwood, Clearlake, Memorial and of course River Oaks was the in locations. (Cinco Ranch and most of Sugarland was rice farms)The wives of Exxon were checking out relocation sites from a family (VIP) viewpoint. They were checking out cities across the U.S.. Exxon was still HQ in the NE.

What upset the realtor so much was after taking them everywhere, one of the wives asked

"is this it?"

Another says before the realtor can answer. "This must be the armpit of Texas".

So, they moved the HQ to Irving?

Why?

Security, convenience and culture. Exxon has a world class security department and anyone who has seen the corporate facilities at Irving with vouch for that. Exxon also seeks out secure (at best as possible) communities for its highest level employees.

Just drive through the Woodlands and the Irving, Grapevine, etc. area and you will see similar cultural areas. The drive from Houston airports to DT are neither scenic nor highly safe (from a corporate security viewpoint.)

When they are fully relocated in the Woodlands they can leave Irving to the private or corporate airport (most probably do not use DFW), arrive at Houston Intercontinental and take a very short drive N. to the new facilities.

Thus, improved perceived and real security, convenience and neighborhoods/demographics that meet their goals.

Oh, and they also are close to that all important International Airports. Or in case of the Exxon Wives, just minutes from Vail, Paris, N.Y. City, etc.

Archived