Northside Village Information & Developments

nmainguy

I live in Sunset Heights. Recently a new home was built at 212 E 26th-it's a nice house in keeping with the architecture of the neihborhood. They have poured a nice new sidewalk-always a welcome addition to our narrow ditch lined streets-which slams smack into a brick wall erected by the owners of the home next door at 216 E 26th. This brick wall extends all the way to the banks of the ditch. They have also erected a fence, patio, playground and access to their pool and pool house across the alley behind thier property. Their property now spans from E 26th to Aurora. Does anyone have any idea who I could contact to have this brick wall removed? If not, then could I just go ahead and build my fence all the way to the curb on my N. Main property? Maybe I could also use this city property to build a nice brick paved and wrought iron fence enclosed private courtyard? While I'm at it, I might as well take in the alley behind my house-I could always use another 12 feet of depth. (sarcasim noted)

I have pictures and would post them here, however I'm not sure how to do so. Any thoughts?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest danax

That's ridiculous. I'd call 311 first. Even if there's no sidewalk, nothing can block the would-be sidewalk area. The city owns it. Hardly anyone ever checks their lot lines before putting up a fence and the city doesn't do anything unless it interferes in some way, like this. Same for the alley I'm sure.

That's ridiculous. I'd call 311 first. Even if there's no sidewalk, nothing can block the would-be sidewalk area. The city owns it. Hardly anyone ever checks their lot lines before putting up a fence and the city doesn't do anything unless it interferes in some way, like this. Same for the alley I'm sure.

Thanks groovehouse! You ARE groovy...dude ;)

Here's the photos:

mvc211f9tl.th.jpg

mvc210f3tl.th.jpg

mvc209f1qg.th.jpg

Well, he's got a million dollars worth of hcad appraisals.  Looks like he can afford to buy off someone.

Is this that big yellow house with the huge yard and pool and other stuff?

You god it, red. # story with a 2 story garageApt, 2 story pool house, pool BB court, put-put green HUGE carport/pavillion....home sweet home, ya dig?

Guest danax
They have also erected a fence, patio, playground and access to their pool and pool house across the alley behind thier property. Their property now spans from E 26th to Aurora.

HCAD shows them owning a lot on Aurora and another one on 23rd. Looks like they decided to try to make one big huge lot out of all of them creating some kind of ghetto-fabulous country estate even though the alley was there.

HCAD shows them owning a lot on Aurora and another one on 23rd. Looks like they decided to try to make one big huge lot out of all of them creating some kind of ghetto-fabulous country estate even though the alley was there.

HCAD shows 2 accounts for 216 e 26th. One for $589,963 appraised w/ a homestead exemption and the other at $130,880. The first one says the owner name and address is on Yale. The second is listed as 216 e 26th. Very confusing. Looks like a scam to me.The owner name and address is on Yale and they claim a homestead exemption on 2 lots on e 26th where they have a home that actually covers at least 4 lots??? I'm bleeding out of my ears...

Yale may be his business address, where he gets his mail. This house is around the corner from a friend of mine on 23rd. If I remember correctly, my friend said he did really well in the drywall business. I have watched that compound grow for the last several years, while visiting my friend, but I have never noticed the "Heights Wall" before.

COH is pretty protective of their ROW. I'll be surprised if something doesn't change. BTW, all of my neighbors have fenced around my alley, giving me an extra 15 feet of yard. However, I make sure not to put anything back there but grass.

yes - it was eerily...desolate...

It is definatly a bizzare place. I have emailed my council member,all the at large members, the mayor, his citizens assistance person, etc...

I'll give them a few days to reply and then I'll take more action. It really pisses me off everytime I walk or drive by that wall. I can't help thinking of how much I and others pay in taxes each year while this kind of thing gets ignored. I don't mind paying my fair share-it's the dead-beats that break my back.

I'm sorry. But let's just say this isn't some high-tooting, under-the-table dealing millionare. How do you not say "Gee, my yard feels so much more spacious now that I've extended into the sidewalk! Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?" I mean, does it not even dawn on someone that no one else does it because it isn't your property?

In this day and age, I can believe that there's more of a chance this is the case instead of some shady deal to a commissioner or builder.

How dense can someone be? :blink:

You should call them, too.

Only Elise Parker reads her email. The rest of those schmos are on the slow learner program.

Michael Berry is the dumbest out of all of them. He had the balls to send his crews hanging campaing sings nailed into trees and public property.

He ran like a chicken $#!^ a-hole for weeks, before having his "assistant" call us back.

Here's my first email response:

"Mr. *****, I have forwarded your email to the Public Works and Engineering Department. The Planning Department does not handle these types of requests, but I'm PWE will look into this and respond directly to you.

Suzy Hartgrove"

We'll see, Suzy.

The best thing is to determine where the right of way for the road ends and anything beyond that can be destroyed. You can even do it on behalf of the city since the right of way is public domain.

Michael Berry is the dumbest out of all of them.  He had the balls to send his crews hanging campaing sings nailed into trees and public property.

Darn tootin'.

He also used to illegally post "for rent" signs on the ROW outside his property on Westheimer. It might be fun to sign up to speak at a Tuesday City Hall meeting and ask him to explain.

I remember seeing this over-the-top development when I was looking for my home back in 2003. The majority of this area has started to re-develop over the years. I guess the owner figured nobody would notice the oversights with his "shock-and-awe" compound.

I remember seeing this over-the-top development when I was looking for my home back in 2003.  The majority of this area has started to re-develop over the years.  I guess the owner figured nobody would notice the oversights with his "shock-and-awe" compound.

Shock and awe is right...the weird thing is I've never seen anyone use the pool, playground, BB court-ever-and I drive by it at least twice a day.

I recieved a phone call from Rhonda Sauter, Constituent Services Director

for Council Member Garcia, District H. She said the owners have been informed of their encroachment into the ROW and the wall would come down this week. I'll believe it when I see it.

Archived