Back In The Saddle

Marcus Allen

Well, folks, I have been back in TX for a year and am pretty settled. Now it's time for me to visit my old haunt, Austin! I went to college here (1986-1991) and visited off and on til I moved to LA. 20 years later, I am back in my native land. I havent been in this city for a decade, but follow it closely on threads like this one and through college buds. So, I know I want to go to The Oasis, Hyde Park Bar and Grill, Laguna Gloria and MT. Bonell. Also, my alma mater moved from 38 1/2 street to the hills that I want to visit, along with The Drag. If weather permits, Barton Springs is also on my list along with a stroll DT along the river. I understand I won't even recognize that area. In addition, I would like to create new haunts. Is sixth street still popping? ( that probably dates me, if the actual dates didn't, LoL). So, please give me some "new" destinations to explore. I will be there for a week this spring. (If winter ever let's go!)

don't have time to give recs now but just be prepared to be blown away... you won't recognize the place. i moved from austin in early 2007 and can barely recognize it. places like hyde park and oasis are almost passe now. it's all about the hip places on the east end, south congress, bouldin creek/south lamar and downtown.

"Back in the Saddle" is the right description to use if you want to get around in the downtown area. Parking is about gone, and lanes dedicated to bus only. Traffic is horrendous. The city council is trying to turn most of downtown into a pedestrian only area with cabs, busses, and trains, and maybe some tunnels and even a subway. It ain't like it used to be!

• 4 weeks later...

"Back in the Saddle" is the right description to use if you want to get around in the downtown area. Parking is about gone, and lanes dedicated to bus only. Traffic is horrendous. The city council is trying to turn most of downtown into a pedestrian only area with cabs, busses, and trains, and maybe some tunnels and even a subway. It ain't like it used to be!

This is completely false! I go Downtown on a weekly basis and there is plenty of parking. I have no problems at all parking in Downtown.

What is wrong making Downtown more pedestrian friendly? To be a great city it is a must.

The only dedicated bus lanes are on Guadalupe and Lavaca Streets. In fact ALL BUT ONE bus still travels down Congress Avenue which in turn has helped both the traffic and pedestrians that use Downtown's main street.

The Red line for the Metro Rail only goes to the Convention Center which is pretty lame considering it should go through to the west side of Downtown.

There are no tunnels except for the Waller Creek Flood Control tunnel which has been a goal of the city for decades.

The subway proposal is just that, A PROPOSAL with no real backing at this time. Having said that I would love to see a subway system here. Anything to make getting around the city easier is way better than sitting for over an hour on a smog filled expressway.

I really do not understand your comment at all. First get the facts straight. Also why you think Downtown should be a barren wasteland with parking lots everywhere and poor pedestrian and mass Transportation options is beyond me. Cities like that don't have much of a future. Thank goodness "it ain't what it used to be!"

• The title was changed to Back In The Saddle

Archived