B4-U-Eat is closed?

What a loss! It was a great way to find reviews by neighborhood, type of food, etc..

I emailed them several times with news of restaurant closings, and they emailed me right back with a personal response, thanking me for my input. Just yesterday, I found out from them that Denis Seafood at Memorial City had closed.

Maybe somebody could take it over, but without the attention to detail it won't be the same.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I found this interview with Jane Hudson, one of the co-founders of B4-U-Eat, and some magazine I've never heard of called "My Table", that allegedly exists.

http://my-table.com/sidedish/13-nosy-questions-with-jane-hudson/

They failed to even ask why the site was closed, but Hudson did vaguely mention "retirement" - and that the database has not been destroyed, but is explicitly not being offered to anyone else, either.

I assume that if the database is ever offered again, so much time will have passed that the information will only have historical value. Even if you junked the reviews, the listings alone were probably better than any other site out there, but they become inaccurate, outdated, as more time passes.

Rumour has it that towards the end they stopped posting bad user reviews for restaurants that paid to advertise on their site.  I know that happened to a review my wife wrote and have seen comments from others to the same effect.

Archived