Wow so along with Levy Park not too far away and the other development a little further down Richmond in Greenway Plaza, this area is gonna really beef up. I go to the Art Institute and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but they redeveloped the River Oaks hospital area too.

This is a little off topic but pertains to Upper Kirby.

This sculpture by James Surls was installed Sunday

It reaches 38 feet high. Great addition to the neighborhood

and excited to have another Surls in Houston.

post-7092-0-66326300-1396978179_thumb.jp

• Like 5

This is a little off topic but pertains to Upper Kirby.

This sculpture by James Surls was installed Sunday

It reaches 38 feet high. Great addition to the neighborhood

and excited to have another Surls in Houston.

Wacky and Tacky. As most of the swamplot comments are - I agree they should have planted trees. This sculpture would have fit nicely along Buffalo Bayou or Montrose Blvd.

So maybe I wasn't wrong about the feeling I had...too good to be true.

The article sounded convincing to me. So I could be wrong though. Hey can someone drive by the site to see if any progress been made. Hopefully they hold out for the new, sleeker renderings.

Edited by JoninATX

Yes, but it did not include the cool renderings though...too bad, I really like that design.

Me thinks the article didn't have the new renderings yet. That rendering has been floating around since 2008. No reason to think they spent money coming up with a new rendering just to end up going with the old one..

• Like 1

Me thinks the article didn't have the new renderings yet. That rendering has been floating around since 2008. No reason to think they spent money coming up with a new rendering just to end up going with the old one..

I hope you're right....however, the magazine where the article comes from has a full-page ad from Thor Equities, so obviously they have a working relationship. No reason why Thor wouldn't give the magazine the latest renderings; it's free publicity.

Edited by fernz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes stores, restaurants, office building 15 floors, and luxury high rise I think 25 floors.  The neighbors did not like the bars there and sued.  This will be a another Ashbury!

I doubt it. I think the people living in that area have seen (or should see) the writing on the wall. There are already towers on Kirby. There will be more. Fighting this will cost them time, money, and they will lose.

• Like 1

I doubt it. I think the people living in that area have seen (or should see) the writing on the wall. There are already towers on Kirby. There will be more. Fighting this will cost them time, money, and they will lose.

Sadly, I suspect we will see a lawsuit over this. I think the lesson of Ashby, as opposed to 2229 San Felipe, is for neighbors to sue before any concrete is poured. It makes a temporary injunction more attractive to a judge to preserve the 'status quo.' If we could get some binding appellate decision from Ashby on the other hand that might indicate such claims are baseless as a matter of law....

It'd cost them lots of money. And they'd loose. Commercial street. Commercial property. No shared lot lines with residents. Project in keeping with the neighborhood and the city wants to develop Kirby to develop as a commercial/retail corridor. This neighborhood was not able to keep the bars from operating. But, you're right. Emotional neighbors may try. But they've been quiet so far. So...

• Like 1

Kirby is a MAJOR thoroughfare with countless number of high-density developments including many high rises. Zero chance this gets tied up in court.

Any suit would need to be brought soon to have a prayer at slowing construction. I agree an injunction would be a longshot, but win at district court roulette and get in front of the right judge and crazy things can happen.