I am delighted to hear this is moving forward. It is a lovely looking project. I am of the mind that density breeds density as neighborhoods become more walkable and more attractive to those who desire a more urban setting. Although it may take a few more years to come to fruition, I think the construction of this would ultimately bode well for the Hanover River Oaks tower.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Kirby Collection

Location: Upper Kirby, Kirby Drive between Colquitt and West Main

Developer: New York-based Thor Equities

Original plan: A mixed-use development with 67,000 square feet of retail, a 13-story office building and a 25-story apartment tower. Seven townhomes will line Lake Street.

Update: The company said it is seeking construction financing and will submit plans for a building permit in a couple weeks. "We really believe the Houston market is a strong one," said Melissa Gliatta, Thor's executive vice president. "We're betting big."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love how they can see through the oil downturn. They specifically mention that as the oil rebounds, they development would open in 2017... plus Houston is diversified...

It would be nice if everyone could see through the fog so well.

• Like 2

I love how they can see through the oil downturn. They specifically mention that as the oil rebounds, they development would open in 2017... plus Houston is diversified...

It would be nice if everyone could see through the fog so well.

Exactly! People ditch Houston when oil prices fall. It's not fair to the other industries that add growth to the population and economy. 

I am glad that some developers are ignoring the downturn. 

Edited by Houston?
  • Like 3

Apparently this project has just about everything :P Didn't know about the Townhomes on the Lake St. side. Hopefully this becomes a good model for future projects as it really is the definition of "mixed-use". Developers seem to toss this around all the time without really attempting it. This, Mid-Main, and Camden Superblock seem to be the best implementations of mixed use we have right now.

• Like 1

Apparently this project has just about everything :P Didn't know about the Townhomes on the Lake St. side. Hopefully this becomes a good model for future projects as it really is the definition of "mixed-use". Developers seem to toss this around all the time without really attempting it. This, Mid-Main, and Camden Superblock seem to be the best implementations of mixed use we have right now.

bruh... GHP Building. ;)

River Oaks District?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I spoke to a source close to the project who said it's definitely going forward.

He said it was going to be very cool!

I imagine they are either stuck in permitting, or still looking for a main tenant.