it doesnt seem very tall? i would have expected something over 1million square feet to have a couple towers around 30 stories each. how tall is the tallest structure? you would think the offices and condos would both be a tower but. i couldnt tell from the site plans where the offices are or how tall the highrise is. there seems to be quite a bit of surface parking though.. :/

so this is going directly south of the planned Phase III of the West Ave development? that should make for a good bit of pedestrian activity in the area

Heres an article from 2008 about Thor Equities acquisition of the site and a mention of The Kirby Collection, so i guess this isnt very new.. they are probably just now deciding to follow through after the market crash postponed it not long after they bought the site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/08/25/story1.html?page=all

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I don't think it's old, it was posted on their FB page in October. It also appears to be more detailed than the rendering Lockmat posted.

well that is interesting. there is no way the development rendered is anywhere near 1 million+ sq ft though. maybe 500,000.

edit. they said it has 75,000 sq ft of retail space. there is no way even the 500,000 sq ft estimate i threw out is possible for a 13 story tower (2 of the floors being part of the retail), thats footprint doesnt even take up half of the block.

from the sound of it, this project has changed drastically from those renderings.. where is the "high rise office" component in the renderings?

Edited by cloud713

now i dont think Kirby is going to get a 40-50 story mixed use tower

Why not? In my view, this is probably one of the best locations for a mixed used tower and the lack of large tracts of available land make a tall building more likely.

There is a large retail market on Kirby, a large market for high rise residential, and a low office vacant rate with high rents.

Makes sense to me.

• Like 4

Yesterday I had an architect tell me that the Office Depot and Pappasito's at the corner of Kirby and Richmond were going to be demolished and redeveloped. It makes sense to me, but I've not heard anything about it. Has anyone here heard anything?

Edited by Dakota79
  • Like 2

Exciting times. First Montrose, now Kirby looks like it has multiple opportunities to get some decent high rise development. While the described project sounds like 2 ~20-30 towers, a 50+ story tower along Kirby doesn't sound too outlandish. I mean this is Houston, expect anything. I can't wait to see how these areas evolve in the next 5-10 years! We're going to need metro to do more than just reimagine their bus routes with all this increased density though.

• Like 1

Wow. That's big news. Kirby will look like a mini post oak. It really needs a hotel. I have friends and clients that always have to stay at the Galleria or Downtown. Kirby would be a great spot for a W or something hip. Close to RO, Highland Village and Rice Village.

• Like 3

yeah between this, the new Millennium complex and the potential development at Richmond, (i assume its not long before the same happens to the shopping center on the other (northwest) side of Kirby and Richmond, just south of this Thor development) and the West Ave Phase III expansion, along with the current phases of West Ave, the 2727 Kirby developments, pedestrian activity will be crazy in that area. all the more reason for light rail to come down Richmond past Shepherd. maybe Thor could buy the shopping center south of this plot for a Phase II expansion with office and hotel, (if office isnt apart of this development). then its only a matter of time before the Bed Bath & Beyond, and the Mister Lube and Wash are redeveloped to have one continuous flow of mixed use developments from Westheimer to Richmond.

wow i just rambled hardcore.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

yeah between this, the new Millennium complex and the potential development at Richmond, (i assume its not long before the same happens to the shopping center on the other (northwest) side of Kirby and Richmond, just south of this Thor development) and the West Ave Phase III expansion, along with the current phases of West Ave, the 2727 Kirby developments, pedestrian activity will be crazy in that area. all the more reason for light rail to come down Richmond past Shepherd. maybe Thor could buy the shopping center south of this plot for a Phase II expansion with office and hotel, (if office isnt apart of this development). then its only a matter of time before the Bed Bath & Beyond, and the Mister Lube and Wash are redeveloped to have one continuous flow of mixed use developments from Westheimer to Richmond.

wow i just rambled hardcore.

Go ahead...get it out ;)

I like it...perhaps the BB&B and Mister Lube and Wash can become a ground-level/underground connection for a rail/subway station...

• Like 2

Wow. That's big news. Kirby will look like a mini post oak. It really needs a hotel. I have friends and clients that always have to stay at the Galleria or Downtown. Kirby would be a great spot for a W or something hip. Close to RO, Highland Village and Rice Village.

I agree. The Upper Kirby area is arguably the "center" of Houston.

Sorry. My bad. Was thinking Ninfas but got them confused. Ninfas is permanently closed down. I tried to go there to pick up tortillas last month and saw it was closed for good.

I think that Old Ninfa's is suppose to become a Pico's fairly soon.   Perhaps it will have better luck with all the new activity in the area . . . .

well that is interesting. there is no way the development rendered is anywhere near 1 million+ sq ft though. maybe 500,000.

edit. they said it has 75,000 sq ft of retail space. there is no way even the 500,000 sq ft estimate i threw out is possible for a 13 story tower (2 of the floors being part of the retail), thats footprint doesnt even take up half of the block.

Learned today that its 510,000 square feet. Unless the project recently grew in size, the description I quoted in my original post is for a different development.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...