Transformation of the Heights

Triton

Transformation of the Heights

I enjoy riding my bike throughout Houston and this weekend I targeted the area I live near, the Heights, and I'll later post the even greater change occurring in the First Ward.

Most people that don't live in the city do not realize just how transformative the past 5 to 10 years have been to the area and how it certainly continues to change today.

Just some disclaimers:

• To cut back time on making this thread, instead of doing my usual resizing of the photos, I'm going to leave them the size that they are.
  • I'm going to mark a few general areas that I was at but none of it will be 100% accurate and I'll even take a few streets that aren't listed in red.
  • I'm not even getting half of the developments because there are simply too many to cover.

Going to start in the northern area of the Heights, near 610.

t1Ww2DL.png

e82jw6U.jpg

r5IdCsi.jpg

wjqy1O2.jpg

85iHnub.jpg

UqyjTMN.jpg

A better view of that area....and all the available land for new development.

8TRZC5i.jpg

Xw2ZIjL.jpg

wEjaM9i.jpg

ml2ltUt.jpg

cr9LLY9.jpg

3Iw4CnX.jpg

6gX891M.jpg

MTkeAzC.jpg

9wnvzcH.jpg

EvK5XhN.jpg

New office along Yale.

76okHqp.jpg

AywESqi.jpg

Close to "downtown" Heights... renovations and a lively scene.

9pYuu36.jpg

Heading south.

ggGYqz1.png

4XV3bLs.jpg

Rx91kcF.jpg

pjytz3x.jpg

rrPMLSB.jpg

Heading down the Heights Bike Trail

VMUYgNX.png

K72qZbI.jpg

w4318kF.jpg

1ujxLHX.jpg

zpmbF4V.jpg

Eb8nMLs.jpg

vvd8Jy3.jpg

d6Ld5mb.jpg

JuzIgEj.jpg

f3kSwRI.jpg

jfMFhwr.jpg

VQovBiu.jpg

L9DcixU.jpg

LMdTHG7.jpg

We then come to an end on our journey in this section of the Heights.

WZRdnKm.png

Zqd0YUS.jpg

ZKYDqBF.jpg

zgaS3l0.jpg

IMqYqDM.jpg

CQ65G1G.jpg

77SrSGK.jpg

F6hLWNC.jpg

IGqgY2o.jpg

aOuI4Wm.jpg

ladf4v8.jpg

ny5c0rp.jpg

I1l85DQ.jpg

ajS3f98.jpg

gYIijcf.jpg

sQPtuBY.jpg

Alexan Heights

cpjmi6S.jpg

q6BSFr0.jpg

And then for the final houses... This bike trail takes me to my next stop: the First Ward.

The roofline is actually slanted.

a4RDPgV.jpg

kND1iDy.jpg

I'll post the Transformation of the First Ward soon.

Good GOD! Outstanding post. Thank you very much. Two things immediately spring into my mind. 1. Uhhh, Marcus, it's been a while since you visited this area. Shame on you. AND 2. Why oh why isn't this sort of renaissance in HTown, along with all the other stellar development a matter of national (or at least YOU, TX Monthly) attention? I mean when places like Portland, OR, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix and LV transformed we had to endure those accolades (not begrudgingly on my part) via, Time, Newsweekly, and US News etc., as well as other media venues. Where is Houston's recorded renaissance gonna rear it's potential laden head? Sigh, but I blather on. Great post. Great pictures. Thank you again.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Although it's not as big of a change as the Heights, the next area I planned on targeting is the East End. Maybe I can do Midtown if people are curious about that change too.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Although it's not as big of a change as the Heights, the next area I planned on targeting is the East End. Maybe I can do Midtown if people are curious about that change too.

Thanks you you have armed us Houstoines with much ammo the next time we find ourselves in a Vs thread and someone says houston s not denifying..lol

But seriouly this shows how Houston is starting to knit itself together.  Slowly but we are still doing it...I keep telling people if we maintain a strong market by 2025 your not going to reconize Houston

Wonderful post! It is so odd to me how some of the new construction is so tastefully done. Looks clean, classy, and just the right amount of ornamentation. And then you have these hideous multi-colored, plastic side panel, mish-mashed messes.

This.  It seems like about 65% of new Heights residents appreciate beauty, and about 35% just appreciate garage doors.

I agree with the above post. Also, Triton, I would love to see, in the next few years, your chronicle of the change along the North Line, via Fulton to Crosstimbers. I would love to see a reincarnation of that area.

Absolutely. There actually are some massive school renovations going on in the area plus all of the new sidewalks and light rail are sure to change the area. There actually is a new townhome being built near the rail. We'll have to see if that leads to anything.

I guess I'm giving away where I live but I'm fairly close to the light rail (3 blocks away) in the Glen Park neighborhood which used to be the Woodland Heights before I-45 was built. Anyway, my point is that they are building a 3-story home in the neighborhood now and started building it the same day the light rail opened. My neighbors are split half and half. Half welcome the new development and are glad the dilapidated building that existed is long gone. The other half are lower income families and know this means their property taxes are going to rise. I guess it's just a sign of the gentrification that is coming to the area!

Nice work, Triton. I even though I thought I was somewhat immune from the gentrification of the Heights, I was quite taken back by all the construction behind Home Depot on 26th. Thought I was in Rice Military for a few seconds. With all of the "upgrades", will our streets be gentrified some day? I don't expect the @sshole construction crews who don't care where or how they park will ever practice courtesy, but neighbors need to practice civility on the roads. Why aren't developers expected to assist with street improvements on a residential level?

PS I can see my neighbor's bed through the large picture window in the room. Should prove to provide interesting views.

Triton. Was about to move back to my roots, and a fantastic opportunity rose for me in the Sugar Land area. But I still admire, visit and stalk the area because of my roots. My current crowd questions what the heck I am doing in THAT place. I just smile and say wait and see. I lived in NoHo CA for awhile and saw it's reincarnation. I feel the same about the Wards, The Heights and dismissed points beyond. Keep giving us hope via photos. Bravo to your compilation of photos.

Archived