Pinnacle West: Energy Corridor

Urbannizer

The Energy Corridor developments just don't excite me. With all that is going on, I don't see this being anymore unique than anything else out there.

We would have such an interesting cityscape if all of our high rises were within the loop. But I can't be mad about this - this doesn't look bad.

Does anyone know if this is just a campaign to see if anyone is interested, or they are going forward and going to hope they snag someone?

The only way to get highrises to concentrate more heavily inside the Loop is to have an east half of the metro that's as favored as the west.  As long as the middle class feels pressed to ignore the east, the Loop will be increasingly far to the eastern fringe of the white-collar economy here.

The only way to get highrises to concentrate more heavily inside the Loop is to have an east half of the metro that's as favored as the west.  As long as the middle class feels pressed to ignore the east, the Loop will be increasingly far to the eastern fringe of the white-collar economy here.

That is a good point. might be a decade before that really kicks in. I see the SE coming along... 3rd ward and Riverside Terrace / UH area is starting to pick up which is cool to see. Eastwood too is making some headway, although kind of slow. Maybe when Buffalo Bayou park is extended east of downtown, we will see some real movement there.

Nice! I think it's funny how anyone can complain about the location of the project. 

I find it funny when people like to share their personal feelings about specific comments, instead of their opinions on the projects discussed. architecture, density, urban planning are all topics worth being discussed.

The only way to get highrises to concentrate more heavily inside the Loop is to have an east half of the metro that's as favored as the west. As long as the middle class feels pressed to ignore the east, the Loop will be increasingly far to the eastern fringe of the white-collar economy here.

An increased interest in a more urban lifestyle and public transportation might do the trick as well, along with a middle class that doesn't feel "pressed" quite so easily.

The only way to get highrises to concentrate more heavily inside the Loop is to have an east half of the metro that's as favored as the west. As long as the middle class feels pressed to ignore the east, the Loop will be increasingly far to the eastern fringe of the white-collar economy here.

That won't happen for a VERY very long time. Sure development will push east and slightly south of Downtown, but it will never get close to the ship channel. As long as the refineries and plants are burning the east will never look like the west. Unless science can trap/filter the fumes, it won't happen.

I can see development pushing east toward 610 but it won't get too close.

That won't happen for a VERY very long time. Sure development will push east and slightly south of Downtown, but it will never get close to the ship channel. As long as the refineries and plants are burning the east will never look like the west. Unless science can trap/filter the fumes, it won't happen.

I can see development pushing easy toward 610 but it won't get too close.

I agree, an in addition, The east side is more wet, more swampy, and the big storms seem to pass on the eastern side more often

I can see development pushing east toward 610 but it won't get too close.

The most I am hoping for - and I would be happy with this - is strong development on the east side, inside 610. I think the refineries are heavy around the beltway area, so i cant imagine anything outside of that being successful besides refinery related industry. We need the Bayou park. We need the communities alont i-10 East to be revitalized.We also need urban lifestyle to be more and more accepted and desired in Houston - which is happening and it is very cool!

The most I am hoping for - and I would be happy with this - is strong development on the east side, inside 610. I think the refineries are heavy around the beltway area, so i cant imagine anything outside of that being successful besides refinery related industry. We need the Bayou park. We need the communities alont i-10 East to be revitalized.We also need urban lifestyle to be more and more accepted and desired in Houston - which is happening and it is very cool!

The plants start a few blocks east of 610... depending on the wind you can smell them further west. Which is what will hinder development for... the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

I like seeing what is going on in the energy corridor but most topics drift off to whines about the location or building by inner loopers, slows down the review of another areas progress but it's nothing new. Some of the same posters brag about all the office space in greater Houston, when it would not all fit inside the loop!

And just how boring would Houston look if one had to travel through miles upon miles of strip malls, suburbs, and under five storey buildings until he came upon the inner loop which contained all the over five storey structures? I for one am glad that the development is spread throughout HTown. All the animosity regarding the inner loop verses the outer loop? Reminds me of the silliness arguing HTown verses Big D. I am glad Houston as a whole is booming again. And YES, I said BOOM to all of those who "dare not speak it's name". LoL

Amen swtsig. Amen. LoL. C'mon guys and gals. It's our time specifically and Texas' time generally. Just the development here and in Austin alone ( we won't recognize our own Capital City in a decade) should make us beam with pride. We didn't hurt too bad in the economic downturn, and our bounce back has turned all the nation's eyes on us. Let's enjoy! What do you say?

I believe Houston's energy sector is diversified. I also know HTown is booming regarding the techno/medical industry. I am not saying it certainly couldn't happen; I just believe based on everything I have read, Houston is doing it differently this time. We all know there are busts and booms. Personally, I am always in favor of conservative boom in order to counterbalance the impending bust.

• 1 month later...

you might as well say you hate jobs and economic prosperity.

hard to imagine we don't have an ignore function on this board.

There is...

It will be interesting to get some height on that side of the freeway. I wonder what regular non-architecture geeks like us think when coming in from San Antonio for the first time.

Archived