George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

2 hours ago, PD_1 said:

On page 7 of the proposal form it shows "Owner's Expected Substantial Completion Date". The date listed is 05.15.17. It doesn't appear to be for the "Big Game".

can you provide a link to the particular form you are speaking of, or give us the exact name of the form?  Found it.   Interesting and a little surprising.  Elsewhere in the documents it says construction must be completed in 150 or 180 days.

Edited by Houston19514

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It's a restaurant and live music venue.  It's being done by Free Range Concepts.  You can get an idea of the types of places they do here.

Interesting...I went to college with one of the founder's wives.  She is always advertising their places on Facebook.  

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

From looking at those drawings....yeah thats a temp structure.

You may well be correct but the plans in Dropbox include a fairly comprehensive landscaping plan.  Seems to me like a frivolous expense for a building that will be used for a week.

and PD_1 above suggests a 5-17-17 completion date is listed somewhere in the docs.  

I guess we we will know for sure in May.

45 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

You may well be correct but the plans in Dropbox include a fairly comprehensive landscaping plan.  Seems to me like a frivolous expense for a building that will be used for a week.

and PD_1 above suggests a 5-17-17 completion date is listed somewhere in the docs.  

I guess we we will know for sure in May.

Most projects you will have a landscaping budget big or small. I haven't seen these docs though so you would know more than me. What makes it "comprehensive" in your opinion?

8 hours ago, Luminare said:

Most projects you will have a landscaping budget big or small. I haven't seen these docs though so you would know more than me. What makes it "comprehensive" in your opinion?

It seems that they are removing some existing trees and planting, in ground, a list of plants including  (9) 12'-15' trees.  They are also adding an irrigation system it seems.

Would that expense be undertaken for a building that will be used for a week?  If so, I am going to raise cane at the frivolity of the expense.  If the building is permenant, then, it makes sense to me.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

project is NOT temporary. I work for a general contractor that thought about bidding on the thing, we had people at the prebid.  This is designed to be a permanent structure.  With that being said, there is a good chance this thing doesnt get built.  Their schedule is too tight and their budget is too small.  It has already been put on the market once and NO ONE bid the stupid thing.

My guess is that they take bids, its over budget and then it goes away for another 6-12 months.

• Like 3

The driveway is finished but will be deadly to bicycle riders, ankles and people who wear high heels. Why would they make these gutter covers that have such wide openings to them? It's a pet peeve of mine being a bike rider, so many places have have the wheel eating covers installed in their driveways that is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt.

5Ed3Sva.jpg

suLKPMx.jpg

xS6Om0S.jpg?1

• Like 7

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

The driveway is finished but will be deadly to bicycle riders, ankles and people who wear high heels. Why would they make these gutter covers that have such wide openings to them? It's a pet peeve of mine being a bike rider, so many places have have the wheel eating covers installed in their driveways that is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt.

5Ed3Sva.jpg

suLKPMx.jpg

xS6Om0S.jpg?1

Yup! Samething almost happened to me biking around that area this week trying to catch Pokemon. 

• Like 1