George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

9 hours ago, Timoric said:

Houston needs a very nice Space Needle adjacent to this park, a very tall one, maybe where that railroad or other can't remember museum thing that failed was to go and the museum at the bottom can talk about the history of space and Houston's role and the plans to do stuff at Ellington Space Port for the future.

Space City = Space Needle

IIRC, that land is owned by Jim Crane 

• Like 2

They could put a tall stylized oil derrick looking thing there, and I'm thinking of the Oilers logo old fashioned kind, not the more modern ones, with something touristy at the top. Or would that look like too much of a rip off of the Eiffel Tower?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I don't think I've ever seen Pre-DiscoGreen like that before. Kinda sucks we lost a block of park space but it wasn't in vain

It looks like we also gained about a block of park space from the two parking lots on each side that were turned back into park, so probably was a wash

• Like 2

What on earth was with the decision to close all the gates around 8 PM? We walked out to go walk around Main Street some before returning to see ZZ Top at 9, and when we got back at 8:30, all the gates were closed! No more entry until tomorrow, we were told.

Way to throw a prudish party, Houston!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Ummm, how can a park get full? Ever been to Boston on 4th of July? They don't shut down Boston Common cause there's too many people.

Anyway there were streams of people coming out, so wait awhile and open it back up.

Ummm, a park can get full when it has as many people in it as can safely be accommodated.  Pretty simple concept.

Yes, I've been to Boston on 4th of July.  Have you?  They probably don't shut down the Boston Common because the celebration is in the Esplanade.  And when the secured areas of the Esplanade reach capacity (imagine that, a park reaching capacity), they don't let in any more people. 

When the secured areas are full on July 3rd and July 4th, NO additional wristbands will be distributed.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Ummm, a park can get full when it has as many people in it as can safely be accommodated.  Pretty simple concept.

Yes, I've been to Boston on 4th of July.  Have you?  They probably don't shut down the Boston Common because the celebration is in the Esplanade.  And when the secured areas of the Esplanade reach capacity (imagine that, a park reaching capacity), they don't let in any more people.  

When the secured areas are full on July 3rd and July 4th, NO additional wristbands will be distributed.

I've been there twice on 4th of July. The Boston Pops play on the Esplanade but the party is in a lot of other places, including Boston Common. Sure, wristbands for the concert area. Can't believe you went and found a link for it. So you.

4 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I've been there twice on 4th of July. The Boston Pops play on the Esplanade but the party is in a lot of other places, including Boston Common. Sure, wristbands for the concert area. Can't believe you went and found a link for it. So you.

And I've been there once (and apparently observed more than you did in two visits).  It's hell being proven wrong, isn't it?  The fact is, the Boston  crowds are in the Esplanade and they limit the admittance, just as Houston did in Discovery Green for this event and for the comparable Final Four events.  Facts can be stubborn and not that hard to learn.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Just now, Houston19514 said:

It's hell being proven wrong, isn't it?  The fact is, the Boston  crowds are in the Esplanade and they limit the admittance.  Facts can be stubborn and not that hard to learn.

If you think all the 4th of July crowds are in that little Esplanade, I am certain you haven't been there. It's where the concert is, that's about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Yeah they shut down the entrances to the Kendrick Lamar concert for the final four so my buddy and I hopped the fence. Way less security than the Superbowl so when it was at capacity last night I just went to rice village. 

Yep, I was going to mention this too. I left early that day to walk around downtown and take pictures, and the park was already at capacity/theywere already turning people away by 4:00 when I was leaving. That's what happens when you have large events..

• Like 1

I can understand the frustration for people from out of town. If you're local, the news kept telling us Houstonians to experience the events the opening weekend. I listened and went before the out of towners arrived and had a great time. Obviously it was going to get really crowded THE DAY BEFORE THE SUPER BOWL! 

Edited by HOUCAJUN
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, H-Town Man said:

And maybe warn people going out that they won't be able to get back in because it's getting dark and going to be bedtime soon.

Great day overall, just annoyed by the overmanaging.

You're annoyed by over-managing? The management was by far above world class, if that's even possible. To go a full week without incident is incredible! Just imagine if the downtown population grows to that level consistently, at least we know the city of Houston can handle it like nothing. And yeah, parks reach capacity, big freaking deal. Not too difficult to understand. It's wasn't a bad thing that park was filled to capacity. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

Downtown was amazing this weekend. Walking around the Discovery Green area and Main St/Market Square Park area Friday and Saturday night was unbelievable. The atmosphere was amazing and all of the out of towners I talked to said how much they enjoyed Houston.

• Like 5