Mezzo Kirby Med Center: Multifamily At 7600 Kirby Dr.

OkieEric

I've noticed the last few weeks that The Crossing on Kirby apartments (7600 Kirby) were boarded up.  Today it looks like they were stripping out all of the appliances, etc., which were just sitting around the parking lots...  Anyway, finally looked it up on hcad and ownership changed to Millennium Kirby LLC back in September

The address to Millennium Kirby LLC is tied to "The Dinerstein Companies", who are behind several Millennium apartment developments including Millennium High Street on Westheimer

Demo permits and some sort of plan review fee for a new apartment building are out there, so it looks like something is definitely happening....  I'm going to keep my expectations realistic on the final product, but nice to see some activity around that area

• Like 4

Not the newest demolished. They demolished the ones built in the 90's at Washington and Waugh last year, and the rest of the ugly complex will also be torn down and redeveloped. They built it as a place holder when Washington was all car lots and pawn shops.

• 1 month later...

13360487375_65b35c8b6a_o.jpg

IMAG0322 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Wow, great pic.  First thought that came to mind was how ironic it is.  You have the Dome next to Reliant with a dirt field and red flowers in the foreground.  It can go both ways: 1.) it demonstrates how Houston is constantly changing with new construction, ideas and the Dome as a symbol of previous progressiveness that was a catalyst for Houston's development or 2.) the dirt field is foreshadowing the Dome with the flowers serving as a memorial to Heart of Houston being lost. 

Sorry, but this pic really got me.  Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer guys

Edited by rellott
  • Like 2

I caught a glimpse of a small rendering up along Main St. earlier tonight - maybe somebody with better reflexes can take a pic.  All I can say is that it incorporates brick and was maybe ~5 stories, so nothing unexpected.  They are definitely going right into construction mode

Edit:  Larry, per some google searches it looks like the old complex had 240 units.  That's more than I would have guessed but it was spread out over 5.7 acres

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics, Larry!  Definitely an upgrade for the area - I hope this trend continues

We don't shop at that Kroger's often, but when we do I always wonder what those apartments are right next door.  They look reasonably well maintained, but the low slung nature of the complex and the lack of landscaping have always made me think it was some sort of low income apartments.  Just realized it's a Residence Inn?  Crazy...  Seems like it would be prime for redevelopment  

• 1 month later...

I live around the corner from this and I have to say that this development would have been much better if they had secured the property of the gas station/carwash/used car lot on the corner of S. Braeswood and Kirby, as well as the Xpress Lube and CVS properties. They would have had the entire stretch of Kirby between S. Braeswood and S. Main, giving it prime frontage on all 3 streets. Also, access to the Braes Bayou trail is less than a block from there. I think the gas station lot is for sale (or at least there is a sign out front) but maybe soil remediation would have proved to be to costly to the developer for something like that.

Old apartments: 240 units on 2 stories with surface parking

New apartments: 378 units on 5 stories with a parking garage

Does this mean they are only using part of the space?  Or how did the number of units only go up by a bit over 50% even though it got significantly denser?  Are the units much bigger?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed that the gas station/used car lot on the corner of S. Braeswood and Kirby has closed? Maybe the property sold? The used cars for sale that were there are gone, the place appears to have closed up, and driving by this afternoon I saw they have begun to remove the fuel pumps. Is this being demolished and included in the Millennium Kirby footprint? If so, I say good move on their part  :)

Has anyone noticed that the gas station/used car lot on the corner of S. Braeswood and Kirby has closed? Maybe the property sold? The used cars for sale that were there are gone, the place appears to have closed up, and driving by this afternoon I saw they have begun to remove the fuel pumps. Is this being demolished and included in the Millennium Kirby footprint? If so, I say good move on their part  :)

I just drove by and it looks like they are going to demo the gas station. Anyone have any details?

I just drove by and it looks like they are going to demo the gas station. Anyone have any details?

Nothing here.  I tried digging around some but it's still listed on the CRBE website as for sale - not sure how often that is updated though

Actually, now that I look there was a recent permit for tank removal (7/14).  It would be better if it's part of the new complex but I honestly wouldn't mind a new gas station there

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...