Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

• 3 months later...

Is this underway? Main was closed off today between Dallas & Polk in front of the old Books-a-Million space. Sidewalks there have been completely removed and are all dirt. Construction barriers are up. Not sure if this is a start or just a large underground infrastructure project.

I thought this project was to start around the same time as Dallas St Shopping District construction?

Edited by tigereye

Dallas street reconstruction started a few weeks back

The Dallas St Shopping District is a separate project from Main St Improvements. But IIRC both had similar construction timelines with a 2Q 2016 completion.

Main St Improvements PDF

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-02-07/140203-Main_St-Public_Mtg_Presentation-SM.pdf

Edit: Looks like construction has started. Work I saw on Friday in front of Books-A-Million is the 1200 block.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/development/street-closures/

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bird told me they thought it might be related to drainage issues from the recent storms rather than part of this plan. Would be great if this was part of that plan, though - only tear the streets up once!

Seems likely since all of the bricks are pulled up on the street itself, as opposed to the sidewalks at 12-1300 Main.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work now on going at 300 block of Main bar strip.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/620394156582531072

300 block of Main last night from Bad News Bar. Street mostly dug up but no work on the actual sidewalks as of yet.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/627368122853404672

Didn't know the county building across the street was being renovated too. From the looks of work on it currently, looks like a big overhaul of the building.

Edited by tigereye

The county building has been under renovation for at least 2 years now, with no visible progress. Hopefully it will eventually finish. I was inside it a few months ago to renew my registration and it didn't appear they had renovated anything in the lobby yet, either.

The county building has been under renovation for at least 2 years now, with no visible progress. Hopefully it will eventually finish. I was inside it a few months ago to renew my registration and it didn't appear they had renovated anything in the lobby yet, either.

I don't recall all the construction on the facade I saw last night. Also, at night time some lights were left on. You could tell upper floors were in the midst of a complete overhaul.

• 3 months later...

You want to revitalize main st...start cracking down on, panhandle, lottering.., and other crap that makes it a uncomfortable place to be..

I agree.

Atlanta passed an "aggressive panhandling" ordinance a few years back. Not sure how it worked. But, frankly, Houston either needs to enforce what it has or make it even stronger, then enforce it. Not only on Main but all of downtown and mid-town.

I know, because I have been told this by friends who have come here on business or conventions, that one of their chief takeaways from their visit was the number of times that they are solicited for money. "Daily, and sometimes multiple times on our walk to the restaurant..... And back.....You guys need to do something about that....Houston is a Nice place except for all the panhandlers....."

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

You want to revitalize main st...start cracking down on, panhandle, lottering.., and other crap that makes it a uncomfortable place to be..

Loitering is only illegal in Houston for prostitution. Panhandling is protected free speech. As long as they're not bugging people on patios they are allowed to do it.

Loitering is only illegal in Houston for prostitution. Panhandling is protected free speech. As long as they're not bugging people on patios they are allowed to do it.

Think of it as an example of our pro-free enterprise philosophy.  They're just small businessmen trying to make a living. :P

• Like 2

Living and working in downtown, you learn who most of the bums are.  There are only a couple that are really bad.  One lady is the worst lately.  She routinely yells at everybody as they pass and walks/lays in the middle of the road.  I saw a metro bus come about 2 inches from running over her head about a month ago.  She did crazy yell sing Maggie May to me the other day.  That was sweet.

Does anybody else walk by one of the two groups of racists that like to gather (on the corner of Travis and Preston on Saturdays and Main and Texas on Sundays) that will openly yell racist comments at you?  Those guys are real winners.

Living and working in downtown, you learn who most of the bums are.  There are only a couple that are really bad.  One lady is the worst lately.  She routinely yells at everybody as they pass and walks/lays in the middle of the road.  I saw a metro bus come about 2 inches from running over her head about a month ago.  She did crazy yell sing Maggie May to me the other day.  That was sweet.

Does anybody else walk by one of the two groups of racists that like to gather (on the corner of Travis and Preston on Saturdays and Main and Texas on Sundays) that will openly yell racist comments at you?  Those guys are real winners.

I don't get near that amount of excitement in Cypress :(

It looks like in the lead up to the opening of Frank's Pizza Tower, they want to limit panhandling

http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Downtown-signs-claim-giving-money-to-panhandlers-6627737.php

920x920.jpg

I haven't noticed these signs in person so I can't say how real they are, but the picture it looks like its card stock

• Like 1