Republic Square: Mixed-Use Development For ExxonMobil Chemical Campus

fernz

There is one I saw the other day between hcc and sam's looks like an office building

That's the former "Great Indoors".  Closed a few years ago and now they're turning into an office building of some sort.  That's several miles from this project.

• Like 1

wow.. the more mixed use developments that sprout up on the west side, the more i think we need either an "energy corridor" light rail line down i10 or a streetcar network connecting all of these mixed use developments and the numerous corporations/clusters of high rises along the corridor.

wow.. the more mixed use developments that sprout up on the west side, the more i think we need either an "energy corridor" light rail line down i10 or a streetcar network connecting all of these mixed use developments and the numerous corporations/clusters of high rises along the corridor.

That might happen at some point.  METRO added a circulator up and down Eldrdge a few years ago specifically to serve Energy Corridor employers and employees. 

Plus they've added additional sidewalks and improved access to Terry Hershey on Eldridge.  Several large 4 to 5 story apartments have gone up there with some more in the works.  I'd guess that they're filled with mostly younger oil company employees.  New library went in a couple of years ago.  Lot happening in the area.

I'd bet a circulator running Eldridge, I-10 to the Beltway, Beltway south to Westheimer and back to Eldridge would prove useful and popular.  That would encompass much of the Energy Corridor and Westchase development and City Centre as well.

Edited by august948

That might happen at some point.  METRO added a circulator up and down Eldrdge a few years ago specifically to serve Energy Corridor employers and employees. 

I'd bet a circulator running Eldridge, I-10 to the Beltway, Beltway south to Westheimer and back to Eldridge would prove useful and popular.  That would encompass much of the Energy Corridor and Westchase development and City Centre as well.

interesting.. 

i was thinking more of a circulator from highway 6, along i10 to beltway (or Town and Country Blvd), and then down T&C Blvd to Memorial, and then back west, down memorial, to highway 6 again. but i like the idea of your circulator serving Westchase and a much larger residential population.

Nancy Sarnoff announced that PM Realty will re-develop the 35 acre campus with a City Center feel after Exxon flees to the the Woodlands. I wonder if that stretch can accommodate that much more retail. I do like the hotel concept. Perhaps they will do some signature style highrises in the mix. We shall see, but not for a few years.

interesting.. 

i was thinking more of a circulator from highway 6, along i10 to beltway (or Town and Country Blvd), and then down T&C Blvd to Memorial, and then back west, down memorial, to highway 6 again. but i like the idea of your circulator serving Westchase and a much larger residential population.

I'd run it down the beltway to Westheimer so you hit the middle of the Westchase office complexes and catch the developments near BMC (like the new Phillips 66 complex).  Then down Westheimer because of all the restaurants and shopping.  Because the west side of hwy 6 is basically Bush Park there isn't as much of interest as there is on Eldridge.  Eldridge has a number of apartment complexes as well as shopping, dining and a library.  What I would eventually like to see would be a park and ride bus going from the Addicks P&R at hwy 6 and I10 going down hwy 6 to the Missouri City P&R, perhaps with a stop at Sugar Land Town Center.  The current bus serving the Energy Corridor, 75 Eldridge Crosstown, already connects Addicks P&R with the Mission Bend P&R and hits all the stops along Eldridge, so if they could start doing cross-town P&R along with the downtown and back variety, we could start to see some other options for people in Sugar Land and elsewhere who work in the energy corridor.

Found this when checking on the 75 Eldridge Crosstown bus...

If you live or work in the Energy Corridor, here’s good news: You can ride METRO free every Friday on the 75 Eldridge Crosstown bus.

Free Ride Fridays will give residents and employees in the Energy Corridor free rides until September 2014. The 75 Eldridge Crosstown route connects commuters to downtown, the Texas Medical Center and other important employment hubs.

Launched by the Energy Corridor District (ECD), Free Ride Fridays is designed to encourage commuters to try METRO’s buses on the 75 Eldridge Crosstown route, leaving their cars behind during the busy holiday season.

http://blogs.ridemetro.org/blogs/write_on/archive/2013/12/11/Free-Ride-Fridays-in-Energy-Corridor.aspx

This project is immense when you think about it. $1 billion dollars to build a lifestyle center. West Houston has several Memorial City, City Centre, Westchase, and now this in Energy Corridor.

I saw this part of town tonight as well as a huge chunk of metro Houston. Memorial City's blue glowing skyline is starting to creep into Energy Corridor, with Westchase's growth in every direction, especially north towards 10, although there are neighborhoods passed the district, it's getting as far north as it can before the sizable cluster in City Center takes over, connecting in the center the three larger districts to its south, east, and west. There's a growing medical center and campus as well as a few hotels north of City Center on the other side of 10.

West Houston can faintly remind of Shenzhen with all this and future developments.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd only seen bits and pieces about the plans for this site in a few other threads, but I figured it warranted it's own thread given the potential scope of the proposal.

35 acres between I-10 & Memorial in the Energy Corridor: BP on one side & Terry Hershey Park on the other w/ the Skanska project going up across Memorial. Not much is expected to happen until 2015, when the division currently occupying the site moves to the campus on the north side.

This article is a few weeks old, but has some insights. Haven't come across any renderings yet though...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Big-real-estate-project-headed-for-Energy-Corridor-5149772.php

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

http://www.bisnow.com/archives/newsletter/commercial-real-estate/houston/3302-up-close-with-rob-bridges/

PMRG managing director Wade Bowlin also selected a capital partner for his 35-acre mixed-use project, but it's turned out less long-term than he envisioned; the team planned to build out the site over 10 years, but its partner said it'd provide all-cash financing to do it in five. PM chose the tract because of Terry Hershey Park, and PM's been working with the District and the county to activate the park in the development and be less self-contained than most projects in the submarket. Wade says the property will have office,several hotels, multifamily, corporate housing and retail (a bike shop is a must-have; he's looking for one now).
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like they are not doing a pedestrian-oriented type development like City center, too bad.

Huh?

The new buildings are all pushed up against the street with retail on the sidewalk.

Not to say that this looks perfect, but it does look relatively pedestrian-oriented, to the extent that is even possible in this context.

Huh?

The new buildings are all pushed up against the street with retail on the sidewalk.

Not to say that this looks perfect, but it does look relatively pedestrian-oriented, to the extent that is even possible in this context.

The retail buildings are fronting a new street with what looks like a pitiful sidewalk, the open spaces look like suburban-type ponds instead of activity areas, and the center of the development has a new wide street..

I know this is not the best "context" but the property fronts a park with lots of activity - and BTW the plan doesn't engage the park; but this is much better location than what City Center started out with (the intersection of two major freeways)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
slide3.jpg

A Houston developer wants to bring a bit of urban sensibility to the Energy Corridor, a section of west Houston known for its suburban office campuses, chain-filled strip malls and outsized apartment buildings.

The developer, PM Realty Group, is committing $1 billion to building a bustling mixed-use community of upscale apartments, outdoor restaurants, hotels and high-rise office towers housing companies seeking to recruit a younger generation of workers who value the outdoors, collaboration with colleagues and an abundance of amenities.

Construction is scheduled to begin next year, and the first office building could break ground before the company finds a tenant to occupy it.

slide2.jpg

slide4.jpg

slide1.jpg

slide3.jpg

slide5.jpg

slide2.jpg

slide1.jpg
  • Like 9