Post Oak Ranch Club At 1625 West Loop S.

djrage

Where exactly was this place. Reason I'm asking is happened to watch Urban Cowboy earlier today and curious to know where this Cowboy nightclub was and was the Post Oak Ranch it's former location? I have found in filming locations on 80s rewind and IMDb only to say it was off of the west loop near the Galleria. Thanks in advance for any info

There was an upscale cowboy bar on the West Loop for a time.  When Bud Adams announced he was moving the Oilers to TN, KILT sponsored a 'Boxes for Bud' drive there.

I'm not sure of the name but Post Oak Ranch would be a good one for a bar in that neighborhood.

It was on the northbound feeder to 610 as I recall, between Westheimer and San Felipe.  That whole area is completely different now.

I never kept up with the club scene much as I was never much of a club person.  I worked remotes from a few on assignment but never any in the Galleria area.  There have been some mentions of Roxy here on HAIF, probably over in the Dining Shopping and Entertainment forum or possibly the Historic Houston forum, depending on how far back.  Have you used search?

I never kept up with the club scene much as I was never much of a club person.  I worked remotes from a few on assignment but never any in the Galleria area.  There have been some mentions of Roxy here on HAIF, probably over in the Dining Shopping and Entertainment forum or possibly the Historic Houston forum, depending on how far back.  Have you used search?

I did search The Haif then Google and turned up nothing. I know at one time there was a lot of talk about nightclubs of  the past here and I know Cowboy came up, The Ocean Club on St James' former incarnation as Elan. I don't know if all of that was removed. Didn't find it

Cowboy was on Richmond & Sage.

Now that raises another question. Was that the place that became Cooter's / Max's / Netwerk / Detour? According to the movie this place appears to have a dancefloor above the bar that you see as they are walking in for the first time. You can see the feet of people moving around up there.

Now that raises another question. Was that the place that became Cooter's / Max's / Netwerk / Detour? According to the movie this place appears to have a dancefloor above the bar that you see as they are walking in for the first time. You can see the feet of people moving around up there.

Cooters was in Windsor Plaza and as I recall was large but just one floor.  Not sure about the others you named.  The place on Alabama at Sage did have two floors and went through more incarnations than I could possibly name.  Confetti, anyone?

The Roxy was originally on Westheimer in Highland Village.

First the Roxy, Then Hush, and now Drink Houston.

I can't imagine how Richmond looked back in the day, it looks to be an empty shell of it's former self. Even the Pappasitos is crappy.

Cooters was in Windsor Plaza and as I recall was large but just one floor.  Not sure about the others you named.  The place on Alabama at Sage did have two floors and went through more incarnations than I could possibly name.  Confetti, anyone?

The other's were what Cooter's became after until the club was closed in the summer of 1991. The current Roxy wasn't connected to the one on Westheimer, I don't believe.

Is the old Confetti building on Alabama at Sage still there?

• 5 months later...

Cooters was at one time, later, called Bentleys. And yes, it had a full-sized car inside. 

Cowboys was a nice place, became R&R. I had work - happy hours there, when that was popular.

The Rose was on Richmond, somewhere before Gessner (i couldn't find it on the maps) and later moved into the old Windsor Theater (Galleria area) along with some other clubs (all under one roof). It was right by The Mason Jar Restaurant, other end of the strip mall as Cooters (whatever name it was called) back then. 

The Post Oak Ranch was a nice one story building. It was a treed property with a deck, facing the 610 Loop. Torn down, replaced by a hotel, La Quinta  (or something like that). Im guessing.

I thought Bentley's with the car inside was over at Woodlake Square.  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but another Bar-with-a-Car place was Studebakers on, I believe, Augusta.  It was sort of 1950s themed oldies, with a corresponding reputation as a hangout for "cougars". 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but another Bar-with-a-Car place was Studebakers on, I believe, Augusta.  It was sort of 1950s themed oldies, with a corresponding reputation as a hangout for "cougars". 

Yeah... I could be wrong on the location. I remember the name Studebaker's. I think that may have also been the first location of The Rose, which was north of Westheimer, originally. 

Spot on, Subdude; it was right behind the Odious Sc.., er, Odeon Spectrum.

And yeah, the Island didn't sure didn't last very long, did it?  IDK why for sure, but I suspect along with the usual reasons bars and venues come and go would be the patrons.  Our safety pin jewelry might have frightened the landlords if they ever came to visit.  Or perhaps it's just because punk was by nature transient.

And yeah, the Island didn't sure didn't last very long, did it?  IDK why for sure, but I suspect along with the usual reasons bars and venues come and go would be the patrons.  Our safety pin jewelry might have frightened the landlords if they ever came to visit.  Or perhaps it's just because punk was by nature transient.

1979-1983, per the Island "alumni" group on Facebook, which anyone who was there will probably find of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289489380559/ 

Bentley's was at Woodlake Square. when the closed down, it became a teen bar called Club Soda. Every time i hear Boston's "We're Ready", I'm taken back to lying on that dance floor, that album cranked to full on the PA that we built, pointing at areas where my bud Dony Stevens would aim one of the pinspots that were mounted on a dome shaped truss. This was 1987.

It later became Bayou Mama's in '89 or '90.

I still keep in close contact with the guy who designed all three of those clubs, along with Numbers, BMC, HoB etc.

• 1 year later...

Update: Cowboy was at 5351 West Alabama. 

I came across some old Texas Monthly and Computerworld magazines in a Google search (looking for something else) and found reviews for various clubs around the state. Clipped this from Computerworld. May 31, 1982 issue

Cmpwrld-Cowboy5311982_zpswnxk2ged.jpg

Also found reviews and an ad for Elan (there was one for the grand opening of the Dallas location). Other reviews for Fizz. I clipped and saved them

Cooters was at one time, later, called Bentleys. And yes, it had a full-sized car inside. 

Cowboys was a nice place, became R&R. I had work - happy hours there, when that was popular.

The Rose was on Richmond, somewhere before Gessner (i couldn't find it on the maps) and later moved into the old Windsor Theater (Galleria area) along with some other clubs (all under one roof). It was right by The Mason Jar Restaurant, other end of the strip mall as Cooters (whatever name it was called) back then. 

The Post Oak Ranch was a nice one story building. It was a treed property with a deck, facing the 610 Loop. Torn down, replaced by a hotel, La Quinta  (or something like that). Im guessing.

The Rose on Richmond was at 6367 Richmond. The place that later became Blue Planet and Shock nightclubs.

• The title was changed to Post Oak Ranch Club
  • The title was changed to Post Oak Ranch Club At 1625 West Loop S.

Archived