1st Pasadena State Bank At 1001 East Southmore Ave.

SpaceAge

A relative told me there are strange flickering lights that resonate through the Pasadena bank bldg. at night, ...a security cop for the mall also witnessed them, who suggested it may be an alarm system malfunction, since the electricity is supposedly turned off. Hope it doesn't catch fire, sounds like it's in danger. That bldg. has some beautiful design work.

A relative told me there are strange flickering lights that resonate through the Pasadena bank bldg. at night, ...a security cop for the mall also witnessed them, who suggested it may be an alarm system malfunction, since the electricity is supposedly turned off. Hope it doesn't catch fire, sounds like it's in danger. That bldg. has some beautiful design work.

Yeah, Ive noticed that too

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought you guys would like knowing what's going on with that old building at Southmore and Pasadena Blvd. Believe it or not, a developer thinks it has a future.

Here's a link to a good article in today's Chron. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...ay/6213541.html

The Pasadena Citizen Newspaper featured a headline article on C. David Pomeroy, (Sunday, Jan. 11, 2009). It says that he is planning another local history book, a pictoral, & wants to hear from residents who have photos & oral histories to share. The article shows a picture of the Woolworths on Shaw St. Nice photo, looks like it's from the 40's. "Pittsburgh Paints" is seen in it, as well.

Just thought you guys would like knowing what's going on with that old building at Southmore and Pasadena Blvd. Believe it or not, a developer thinks it has a future.

Here's a link to a good article in today's Chron. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...ay/6213541.html

I've got my hands full with acquisitions elsewhere so the secret no longer matters, but back in 2005 I was a partner in a group that tried to buy this building for conversion to tax credit seniors housing (something that Pasadena can easily support a whole lot more of) along with a new strip center on the east side of the property. I'd actually cut a deal among the partners to put my grandparents in the penthouse suite for the remainder of their natural lives if we were successful, pretty much at the expense of nearly all my returns on the project. We were willing and very easily able to pay far more than KT bought it for, but I suppose that their deal must've already been under contract when we tried to contact the broker. The broker only spoke to us once, scheduled a meeting that he didn't show up to, and then did not return probably a half dozen follow-up calls. We then tried to call the owner; they also would not return our calls. It sold soon thereafter. Unfortunate. It'd already have been up and running and would've been immensely profitable for me, my group, and the former owner.

FWIW, I wish KT the best of luck. They probably won't be able to get anything off the ground in the next year or so just given the financial situation. That's just a stark and unpleasant reality. But I hope that they take care of the building in the interim. I'm confident that it has a promising future.

I wrote about the building Sunday in the Chron:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...ay/6213541.html

Unfortunately, the paper didn't run any images. I've got a couple of nice renderings from a booklet about the opening... but I can't figure out how to upload them. Anybody want to help?

And I almost forgot: I asked a couple of readers whether I could share their e-mails with Houston Mod. In this one, Richard Brinlee says that LBJ campaigned at the bank:

"Just a quick note to tell you that I truly enjoyed the article in today's

paper. It brought back many, many fond memories.

"Being in my mid-teens in 1963, I cannot describe how proud we were when it

opened. We thought, wow, we are really "on the map" now. I can remember

seeing all the important and prominent men and ladies there when I went in

with my Mom and Dad. I grew up in Pasadena and still work in Pasadena to

this day. (Although I do live in Deer Park). I also remember when LBJ came

to Pasadena to deliver a speech in the parking lot of 1st State. They landed

the big helicopter just to the side of the bank and I was fortunate enough

to be along the roped-off walkway for him as he shook hands with most of us

as he made his way to the podium. A day I'll never forget.

"I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the 'ol boy is imploded and you

can rest assured that I will be there with a tear in my eye. I love Pasadena

and its history."

Thanks for sharing the comment -

If you have a digital image, you can upload it here as an attachment (there should be a browse/upload tool in the lower right hand corner of the reply window) or you can host it somewhere and use the "insert image" function ( rte-image-button.png ) and put the image url in the box that pops up. Tinypic.com is a good place to host pictures for free.

------

Oh, and similar threads combined...

• 4 weeks later...
I worked in the bldg about 6 years ago. We had the penthouse suite and it was great. Our big boss had the giant corner office and rigged up his door so that he could push a button under his desk and the door would close so he could light up his cigar. It was of course against company policy to smoke at your desk, but who was going to be brave enough to tell him. We also had the only balcony in the bldg being on the 12th floor. I thought about eating lunch out there once. Walked out and it was way too windy to sit down at the picnic table (that we hauled up the wood and built). There was a little space in the basement for a deli and I always felt sorry for the people who tried to open up an eating establishment there. They'd always close in about 1 month after opening because they had no customers. We had about a dozen 5 gallon buckets up there because every time it rained, the roof would leak in about a dozen places. In addition, the toilets were always breaking every other week. The a/c wouldn't work good in the summer and the heating wouldn't work good in the winter. Basically, the place was miserable and we couldn't get the owner to spend any money on maintenance so we left after our lease was up. I don't think anyone moved into the space after we left.

Actually there is a 2nd balcony . The other balcony is on the 13th floor, it wraps around the front . You can see down directly onto the balcony with the picnic table . The only access is through the maintenance area . It was really windy up there .

Edited by secretsquirrel

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

That hospital has been closed/ fenced for quite a while. I noticed that the smaller Pasadena Hospital has changed quite a bit. Is it closed, as well? I can't remember. I just drove by there. Professional bldg. was boarded up. Tatar St.?

That hospital has been closed/ fenced for quite a while. I noticed that the smaller Pasadena Hospital has changed quite a bit. Is it closed, as well? I can't remember. I just drove by there. Professional bldg. was boarded up. Tatar St.?

No, The main hospital a fence was put up and a dumpster was added. I think they will demolish it. The city owned the place behind whataburger and the one behind cvs is still open.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

A post from a Pasadena Facebook Citizen. "

Just received an email from the Bay Area Houston Business Development Update:

Pasadena Economic Development Corporation purchased a former bank building on the corner of Pasadena Blvd. at Southmore Blvd. and plans to demolish the building and sell the 4.8-acre site. The 12-story building was built in 1962. It will take approximately four months for the remediation and the demolition." The Tall Lady of Pasadena " Texas has been declared an eyesore and is slated for demolition, after the Asbestos has been removed. I am going to Miss her.

P3130025.JPG

P2040029.JPG

P3130034.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...