Parkside Residences: 43-Story Residential High-Rise At 808 Crawford St.

largeTEXAS

The majority of vacant blocks in the picture, pretty much everything north of Dallas, were part of the land acquisition for the Houston Center project and I assume were cleared in the late 1970s as planning for that progressed. This would have been shortly before construction began on the shopping mall and convention center.  

South of Dallas in through the Parking District, I would guess were just cleared by different property owners.  

the Days Inn wasn't abandoned yet

That was actually a Holiday Inn.

LyondellBassel Tower was completed in 1978, so the photo was taken in 1978, at the very earliest.  And the Four Seasons Hotel was completed in 1981 and its site is a parking lot in the picture, so the picture must have been taken prior to 1980.

Here's a photo of the area from 1970, when Texas Eastern bought the 32 blocks of eastern downtown for their Houston Center development.

hou-center-outline2-1970_800x600.jpg

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

I see surface parking but not entire lots for parking. I don't see any

I presume you mean you don't see any entire blocks for parking?  That seems to be true.  I don't think I see any entire blocks of surface parking either, but there are clearly several surface parking lots in the picture.

Sorry about that. I just realized your caption stated that. I got confused with the page change.

Relax, It was my mistake.

It's all good.  I'm sorry I did not include a wink in my earlier response.

• Like 1

Much of what is now The Parking District, outside of the Houston Center assemblage, also has buildings on it that were gone less than ten years later.  I wonder what generated that demo derby?  

I presume you mean you don't see any entire blocks for parking? That seems to be true.

That is what I said. What is up with you today? A lot that happens to have surface parking included isn't the same thing as a surface parking lot. Just as a grocery that happens to sell milk Isnt a dairy.

I said I didn't see any SURFACE PARKING LOTS, what do you presume I meant my lot?

So do we have Texas Eastern to blame for destroying east downtown's neighborhood fabric, or was it the more organic forces of parking demand and owners not wanting structures to pay taxes on?

I suspect more the latter, and that Texas Eastern was pushing against an open door.  After all, there was much the same clearance of property in the Parking District where there was not one acquirer.  After all, until the 1960s wholesale slum clearance was considered urban improvement, not destruction of neighborhood fabric. 

Honestly, I don't mind it. I think the materials and the nuances will make it good or just average. Most of these residential are starting to all look the same. I'd love to see something more original in the future - but that doesn't mean thus is bad

• Like 2

The first design looked more generic so it's nice to see a change up. The first rendering looked like 1400 Texas and Hines' Market Square(as well as Hanover Montrose and the Southmore).It's nice to see Downtown getting all the variety of architectural styles! Also looks like a double height amenity deck above the garage so there might be room for a pool. Is it odd that there what looks like a sky bridge to the new convention center hotel? They going to link the garages with Hess for increased capacity?

• Like 2

I hope this not the new design, I like the first one better as it was much more sleek. I'm curious to know if it will have a pool. Can you make a multifamily development these day w/o one?

I'm sorry you guys, when thinking of the "old rendering" I was actually thinking of the one two blocks from MMP. That said, I still like the old one better, even if it did look like Hines' Market Square park project. If we're gonna continue to build a bunch of buildings that look alike, this style is worth copying.

New design:

12956329654_216afd1005_b.jpg

is it just me or does that look like GFR? its definitely not a garage entrance, and seems way too big (and has two separate locations) for a residential entrance or a leasing office. and speaking of garage entrances.. i dont see an entrance for the garage. unless its on the north side which would be kind of weird because thats where the LRT is going. i guess they may end up linking garages like someone suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the six projects proposed, three have been approved for the incentive program, and agreements are pending on the others. Those approved include a 33-story tower planned near Market Square Park, a 38-story building by Discovery Green, and a 10-story structure on the southern end of downtown.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Downtown-views-call-to-many-suburbanites-5332897.php

• Like 2