Hotel ZaZa & The McCarthy Apartments Memorial City

Urbannizer

Can you imagine the hospital, mall, and bunker hill west being connected in one coherent walkable district? That would be pretty cool.

I mean, one can hope right?

THENNNNNN, greater Memorial City can be integrated into Citycentre along I10 to form one large west Houston district...

We'll call it the WHE8 district. West Houston, East of 8: WHE8. We'll pronounce like 'wait' or 'weight'.

Then we can have this amazing Abbott and Costello routine when we describe the area:

Person: Where do you live?

Me: WHE8.

Person: Sure, answer when you can.

Me: I did

Person: Did what?

Me: Answered your question.

Person: No you didn't. You said wait.

Me: Exactly.

Hilarious Houston Home Humor.

Would be awesome, but just looking at this area on google maps gives you a headache x.x

It's all so disjointed and none of the other developments work together to make everything cohesive. Not to mention all these areas still heavily depend on the hwy frontage road as if it's some kind of main street...blahhhhh You can clearly see this dependence in this master plan.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a fence was being put up between guadalajara and the forest painted parking garages. perhaps another garage is going up for zaza parking?

i'll be back over there in a few days and will try to snap a pic.

This first two pictures are looking at the NE corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (pretty sure this is where the ZaZa is going)

post-6875-0-55217400-1445221426_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-26414100-1445221374_thumb.jp

This is the newly fenced off area. Any idea what's going in here?

Behind Ciro's

post-6875-0-80389900-1445221355_thumb.jp

Behind Guadalajara

post-6875-0-36411500-1445221405_thumb.jp

Le sigh. If this is the front, it looks as bad if not worse than the Embassy Suites downtown. What happened with the other two prior renderings? They looked great. This one is a drastic downgrade and departure from those. Hopefully the unseen side looks better.

Typical MetroNational / Anslow-Bryant. Ask any architect who has worked with them in the past (Morris, Gensler, etc.) They will all say the same thing. You create a sensible design, nothing outrageous, and Anslow-Bryant prices it into oblivion. Any other GC around town would have brought it in for a reasonable price , but not A-B. That's why everything at Memorial City looks so dull. They have to reduce the quality so much to get the price anywhere close to reasonable. The price isn't the problem, its the GC.

Pretty sweet deal for A-B. The rumor is that they are partly owned by MetroNational, so its sort of twisted. I guess MetroNational doesn't want the hastle of bidding out projects. They definitely pay the price in the end though. A real shame.

This first two pictures are looking at the NE corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (pretty sure this is where the ZaZa is going)

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143910.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143755.jpg

This is the newly fenced off area. Any idea what's going in here?

Behind Ciro's

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143745.jpg

Behind Guadalajara

attachicon.gifIMG_20151018_143904.jpg

I think you meant to say the SW corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (not NE).

Za Za is not going on the corner.  It's going in behind Ciro's and Guadalajara.

I think you meant to say the SW corner of Bunker Hill and I-10 (not NE).

Za Za is not going on the corner.  It's going in behind Ciro's and Guadalajara.

The first two pictures are looking NE to the intersection of BH and I-10, I'm just not sure what's going there now. You are correct though, it's the SW corner.

That area has been fenced off for a while (since the air liquide center was under construction). Is that where the Whole Foods was rumored to go in?

I haven't kept up a lot with Memorial City development, so please be patient with me as I ask a few things:

- Weren't all these restaurants built, in like, 2008? And they're already going to demolish 'em?

- The Ciro's itself was a move from a Ciro's closer to Spring Valley Village (iirc), but what was the "vacancy" in front of the existing restaurant? I thought that was all Ciro's?

- Where was the Whole Foods supposed to go?

- What did the brown space used to be? It looks like there was a Mexican restaurant called La Fiesta and another building to the right of current Ciro's that looks like it was fast food.

Archived