In And Out Houston At 8373 Westheimer Rd.

Marcus Allen

I always order my fries "light well" (cooked a little longer than the soggy/cardboard state that they usually come in).. they're still not the greatest, but they are a little better than they normally are. Why you have to special request them to properly cook your fries is beyond me, but the burgers and shakes are pretty good. I won't be going for the first few months though.. I'm sure the lines will be ridiculous.

I think they missed the train. By the time they come in, there will be multiple Shake Shacks and HopDoddies all over town plus all of the burger joints we have here (Becks, Southwells, Burger Joint, Cliff's, Five Guys, Smash, Whataburger, etc...)

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Ugh not every thing belongs in Going Up and this is one of them. Going Up includes skyscrapers, hi-rises, schools, mixed-uses, and large constructions. I'm convinced people post things in this forum that don't belong so their posts can be seen.

Mods please move this to the West Loop Galleria forum @Urbannizer @Triton
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/forum/17-west-loopgalleriauptownmemorial/

I take it OP is also the person of this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/6o6kx3/looks_like_in_n_out_burger_finally_has_a_location/

If not, why is it everything shared here is taken from this forum without acknowledgement?

I am not on Reddit, so it looks like it was poached from here. 

5 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Why did this end up in the Montrose section? I think someone confused Dunvale with Dunlavy. This thing is going up near the big Wal-Mart outside the Loop.

Whoops, guess I missed a digit when looking on google maps.

"While it's true that we have purchased property in Houston as a potential future restaurant, we are still evaluating our opportunities there and are in the very, very early stages of that process. I anticipate it will be more than a year before any further progress develops," said Carl Arena, vice president of development.

"Although we look forward to the possibility of future opportunities in Houston it would be extremely premature to speculate when or even if we will open a restaurant there."

as taken from:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/article/In-N-Out-Burger-purchases-Houston-lot-11300168.php

so it looks like we may be waiting for sucky fries for awhile ;)

• 1 year later...

I like In-N-Out, but not enough to drive far out of my way to eat there. When they build one inside the loop, I'm sure it'll have a place in my burger joint rotation.

And as far as Stafford goes, Tornado Burger has everyone else beat hands down. I haven't worked in the Stafford area in roughly five years and I still miss the Spicy #1. 

My understanding is they INO will be opening several locations over a relatively short period of time. There’s 19 locations in DFW and over 10 elsewhere in TX (~5 a piece in SA and Austin + 1 in Waco and Killeen). So it’s safe to say that Houston will at least get 5, with 15-20 being more realistic. 

I've eaten at them a few times out in California, and I like the design of their t-shirts so I have bought a few. As for the food, like others said, the burgers are pretty good, above average for fast food, but the fries suck. My guess on the reason the fries suck is In-n-Out's insistence on using fresh ingredients, including cutting fries from whole potatoes right there in each store where you can see them. I've made french fries from scratch, and the secret to gettting them to come out right is they have to be par-fried at a lower temperature, allowed to cool completely, and then fried again at a higher temperature. Most fast-food restaurants bring in bags of frozen french fries that were already par-fried before being frozen. It "seems" like fresh potatoes would be better than frozen, but the reality is frozen fries make better fries than fresh that haven't been allowed to rest. I'm guessing that In-n-Out, cutting fries from potatoes in each store, does not have the time to fry them twice, with the cooling period in between, to keep up with demand, which is why they suck.

Overall, I think In-n-Out's draw is its hometown loyalty out in California, a lot like Whataburger's here in Texas (because if we are honest with ourselves, Whataburger is fine, but isn't as great as we all like to claim it is). Any draw In-n-Out will have here is along the lines of "oh my friends out in LA always talk about how great they are", along with the draw of the connection to the Southern California lifestyle. It's like the connection to NYC that comes with Shake Shake and Halal Guys that gives them more buzz than they deserve. (Seriously, Halal Guys, Houston has so many different mom and pop and chain choices for good Middle Eastern food, that Halal guys should just be white noise). That kind of buzz usually doesn't last that long, and I think once In-n-Out gets here and the novelty wears off, they'll do only slightly better than Carl's Jr has been doing in Texas.

But maybe I'm wrong, how has In-n-Out been doing in Austin and Dallas? Are they still expanding, or starting to close shops?

• The title was changed to In And Out Houston At 8373 Westheimer Rd.

Archived