Air Liquide Center: 2-Office Buildings At 9811 Katy Fwy.

ChannelTwoNews

i wonder why they decided to go with two different architects for the two separate buildings. i like the Gensler building better, but hate the look of their logo plastered on the side of the building. why does it have to be on a white rectangle like that? i assume these buildings will have LEDs on the roof to go with the rest of Memorial City..?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Air Liquide would love to hear ideas on how to spend shareholder money on some artistic flair for their buildings.

The buildings are actually being developed by Metro National, a developer in the business of building buildings than can attract top-dollar rents. So making the buildings attractive is an easy part of the equation. Of course they also have to be efficient, in good location and so on, but aesthetics are important, ask Hines.

The buildings are actually being developed by Metro National, a developer in the business of building buildings than can attract top-dollar rents. So making the buildings attractive is an easy part of the equation. Of course they also have to be efficient, in good location and so on, but aesthetics are important, ask Hines.

The tenants are ultimately paying the bills.

In the office moves I've been involved in the attractiveness of the building never came into the equation. People care more about ease of access, where they can get to for lunch, quantity of parking and building amenities. This is a company involved in a low profile part of the energy industry, flashy architecture is not something they are going to be interested in.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you can tell from that photo, but there are actually four tower cranes up at this site now. Combined with Phillips 66 and the other construction sites, there are at least 19 cranes up in the Energy Corridor (including I-10 and BW8 south of I-10). 

Not sure if you can tell from that photo, but there are actually four tower cranes up at this site now. Combined with Phillips 66 and the other construction sites, there are at least 19 cranes up in the Energy Corridor (including I-10 and BW8 south of I-10). 

Make that 20. Saw another new one today. Not sure what it's for, as I haven't seen a thread about it on here, but it looks like it's a site on the corner of Town & Country Blvd and Attingham Drive, behind Barcelona Sporting Goods and next to Mac Haik Ford. Any ideas what this is? My first thought was the last City Centre building, but it's too far east for that.

Make that 20. Saw another new one today. Not sure what it's for, as I haven't seen a thread about it on here, but it looks like it's a site on the corner of Town & Country Blvd and Attingham Drive, behind Barcelona Sporting Goods and next to Mac Haik Ford. Any ideas what this is? My first thought was the last City Centre building, but it's too far east for that.

Looks like an apartment complex maybe?  I believe Morgan group is constructing that one.  It also looks like they took down part of the strip center in front of that project.  There was an older 60s or 70s style office building they scraped on that site a few months back. 

Talked to the foreman at lunch and he confirmed this site will be an eight story midrise apartment complex. Morgan Group is the contractor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2014 at 8:44 AM, jt16 said:

Looks like an apartment complex maybe?  I believe Morgan group is constructing that one.  It also looks like they took down part of the strip center in front of that project.  There was an older 60s or 70s style office building they scraped on that site a few months back. 

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, but here's our answer: Pearl Residences at CityCentre.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Locally-based-apartment-developer-is-going-big-5466736.php

Edit: Actually this should probably go in the CityCentre thread, if one of the mods can move it.

• 1 month later...

Footprint.

Yes, and these are two towers plus a parking garage.

Also, it sometimes makes sense to add a crane if you can speed up construction. It is not uncommon for the skin to start going up before the structure is topped-off; and having two cranes means not having to share between two (or more) contractors. Sometimes it makes sense to pay for the additional crane, sometimes it makes sense to extend the construction for a few more months - each project has unique financial considerations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived