Alexan Midtown: Multifamily At 2310 Main St.

kbates2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like there is an large mock up of the bldg at their staging site at 2211 Travis St.

Yea they've been building it for a few days now too. It is interesting that they own this property (or maybe leasing?)... makes me wonder what we'll see here someday.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the lot on the North side of the Shell station, which has been used for construction equipment storage and trailers. I saw this structure when I was driving past it last weekend, but I have no idea what the heck it is.

It looks like it will be a mock up of the exterior wall. These are done for several reasons. Their primary uses are to determine if the aesthetics of the building are acceptable to the owner (the entity paying to have the building constructed) and to set the standard for the level of quality of construction for the entire building. More and more mock ups are also being constructed to test the building envelope (walls, windows, etc. and the interfaces between these components) for air and water infiltration.

• Like 2

Yea they've been building it for a few days now too. It is interesting that they own this property (or maybe leasing?)... makes me wonder what we'll see here someday.

This used to be my local bodyshop for when the wife would give the car a little "parking garage column rash." They (Downtown Body Shop) moved a couple years ago to around Scott St. @ I-45. 

It looks like the body shop just leased the property, as the ownership has remained current.

I've had experience with a few projects where the building site was very "tight" so mock ups were constructed on nearby open space that was usually leased (on a short term) from the owner. If the mock up is to be tested there needs to be space around it to set up the testing apparatus. This has even been done in locations well away from the building site since only engineers, the materials suppliers, and the contractor (the owner too sometimes) have much interest in the outcome of the testing.

Many designers are very conscientious and require that mock ups for aesthetic purposes be oriented such that they are exposed to the same daylight as the completed building. For example if the building has sunscreens on its west facade then the mock up of that facade would be oriented toward the west as well. This seems obvious but unless the requirement is clearly stated there is no guarantee the contractor will do so. He should not have to guess what is important to the designer.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...