Allen Center Redevlopment

Triton

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

The new name of the One Allen Center will be Motiva Plaza instead of Motiva Center:

Motiva Enterprises has decided it wants a bigger piece of Allen Center, amidst a $48.5M renovation. The Saudi Aramco-owned energy firm will expand its lease to 204,500 SF, a 15% increase. The lease includes building naming rights and signature spaces, including a lobby reception center, a conference center floor, and a unique large private outdoor balcony that will overlook the new greenspace underway at Allen Center. One Allen Center's new name will be Motiva Plaza.

Sounds like a replacement for the Hess setup.

• 7 months later...

http://realtynewsreport.com/2018/03/20/upscale-denver-steakhouse-signs-13000-sf-lease-at-one-allen-center/

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) – Guard and Grace, a modern Denver-based steakhouse, will open a 13,000 SF restaurant in the One Allen Center building in downtown Houston.

The restaurant, scheduled to open in summer 2019, continues a relationship between the restaurant group and Brookfield Properties, which owns the Allen Center office complex and the Denver building where Grace and Guard is located.

Brookfield Properties and Troy Guard, Chef and Owner of Denver’s restaurant empire, TAG Restaurant Group, announced the deal Tuesday.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Looks like they have fenced off a considerable area of 'the acre' as well near the hotel.

I called and the lady said exterior renovations will occur. She seemed to think that the hotel will remain a double tree. the hotel will still be open.

I cant imagine they leave the interior as is... it is incredibly dated.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/09/06/brookfield-kicks-off-radical-renovation-at.html

Brookfield kicks off 'radical' renovation at downtown Houston Doubletree

By Cara Smith  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal

Sep 6, 2018, 2:48pm CDT

More than a year and a half after announcing it had acquired the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel-Houston Downtown, New York-based Brookfield Properties is starting construction on what it calls a "radical" transformation at the hotel.

A $7.5 million building permit was filed for Brookfield's renovation of the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel at 400 Dallas St., and Houston-based Tellepsen Builders is listed as the general contractor. A Brookfield spokesperson said the renovated hotel will serve as the social hub of The Allen Center, an office complex across from the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel where Brookfield just wrapped up a $48.5 million renovation.

"Through the collaboration of a team of world renowned architects, interior designers and culinary innovators, this dynamic hotel will graciously adorn the newly renovated Allen Center and enhance the coveted hotel offerings within Houston," the spokesperson said.

The renovations will wrap up in summer 2019, the spokesperson said. Information on total costs, the architect and other contractors was not made available.

When Brookfield acquired the Doubletree in 2016, Brookfield's then-executive vice president Paul Frazier said Brookfield's Doubletree renovation strategy is "no different" than the Allen Center renovations.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/11/02/exclusive-more-renovation-details-for-downtown.html

Exclusive: More renovation details for downtown Houston Doubletree revealed

By Cara Smith  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal

5 hours ago

Some serious changes — and potentially a new hotel flag — are on tap for the downtown Houston Doubletree hotel.

Roughly $4 million in commercial building permits were recently filed for New York-based Brookfield's ongoing renovation work at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel-Houston Downtown. In September, $7.5 million in building permits were filed at the hotel.

Filings with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation specified the scope of work is underway and expected to wrap up in April 2019:

-Demolition and replacement of the existing north and south facades

-Addition of a new north canopy and expansion of the south façade and roof

-Demolition and replacement of existing south exterior exit stair

-Demolition and replacement of existing landscape and hardscape area surrounding the hotel

Dallas-based Morrison Dilworth + Walls is listed as the architect for the renovation with TDLR.

• 1 month later...

Doubletree to be independent hotel named C Baldwin. Name is weird to me.

Not sure if independent means it intends to become independent within a chain grouping like Autograph Collection or Curio or entirely independent.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/01/09/downtown-houston-doubletree-to-become-independent.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-01-09&u=0tGNxpvpNFPnDWo9NL1ZKQ09e4f6f2&t=1547072417&j=85953981

Doubletree to be independent hotel named C Baldwin. Name is weird to me.

Not sure if independent means it intends to become independent within a chain grouping like Autograph Collection or Curio or entirely independent.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/01/09/downtown-houston-doubletree-to-become-independent.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-01-09&u=0tGNxpvpNFPnDWo9NL1ZKQ09e4f6f2&t=1547072417&j=85953981

Anyone else find the renderings a bit uninspiring?

Surprised they didn't also release renderings of the public spaces, which is where a lot of money is usually spent in these renovations.  They're doing something to the structure connecting the hotel and 3 (?) Allen Center.

https://www.chron.com/life/article/Swank-female-bent-C-Baldwin-hotel-debuts-in-13523592.php?ipid=hpctp#photo-16752021

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am pleasantly surprised. The vibe for both the restaurant and the lobby bar is...60's chic? That a good description? 

The patterns, the lighting...it will definitely become a destination place for people visiting downtown.

A thought: when I got to other denser cities, I am very used to going into hotel/office building's bars to enjoy myself. Only recently have I started to do the same in Houston (the Post Oak's bar is great, and has great specials). To be honest, this is awesome, and I hope Houstonians take advantage. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, X.R. said:

I am pleasantly surprised. The vibe for both the restaurant and the lobby bar is...60's chic? That a good description? 

The patterns, the lighting...it will definitely become a destination place for people visiting downtown.

A thought: when I got to other denser cities, I am very used to going into hotel/office building's bars to enjoy myself. Only recently have I started to do the same in Houston (the Post Oak's bar is great, and has great specials). To be honest, this is awesome, and I hope Houstonians take advantage. 

I don't know if thats the term either, but I would certainly be in favor of that label "60's chic". Seems to be the design trend or whats in vague right now. Terrazzo is making a comeback. Wood Veneer panels everywhere. Lots of bright vibrant accent colors. Bronze is also making a return. I'm seeing this in furniture as well. Even architecture renderings (the Post Digital Movement) has a kind strange 50's 60's 70's newspaper clipping collage flair. Its weird and I like it. Lets just hope we hop over the 70's. I rather use just forget that time period with its awful color hues of yellow, green and orange (yuck). With that being said, I'm waiting for 80's chic. Thats going to be fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...