Bud Adams Is Dead

H-Town Man

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/sports/football/bud-adams-titans-owner-and-an-afl-founder-dies-at-90.html?hpw&_r=0

Seems to embody an era in Texas culture, when wealthy oil family scions started football teams and physically attacked pesky newspaper reporters who said things they didn't like. Ultimately he ran into someone with more money and power than he had, and his incredible ego led him to an outcome he never would have wanted - moving his team away from the city he called home.

ADA Oil was located on Fannin St. just south of Holcombe. It is where the Metro transit center is now. The building was only a couple of stories tall but was designed and structured to be a high rise tower. I think about Bud Adams, and the Oilers every time I walk by the transit center. Also the Oilers had a practice field on the corner of Braeswood and Fannin. It's just an overgrown parking lot now.

So Long Bud!

• 2 weeks later...

Bud was instrumental in getting the NFL to where it is today.  He was (and probably still is) loathed here in Houston, but the team was his business and he decided to move it.  Odd, we let the Oilers go because they wanted to get either a new stadium or spend the money needed to make the Astrodome more modern.  Funny that we did just that and spent way more money for the floundering Texans - who have been the epitome of mediocrity throughout their history.

Bud was instrumental in getting the NFL to where it is today. He was (and probably still is) loathed here in Houston, but the team was his business and he decided to move it. Odd, we let the Oilers go because they wanted to get either a new stadium or spend the money needed to make the Astrodome more modern. Funny that we did just that and spent way more money for the floundering Texans - who have been the epitome of mediocrity throughout their history.

The loathing for Bud isn't that simple.

It's partly about the stadium, but that's because he sold us on updates to the dome, these updates were supposed to be good for years to come. he threatened to move the team if we didn't do it, so it was done. Then, it felt like the paint wasn't dry before he was threatening to leave again if he didn't get a whole new stadium. So leave. Not to mention he didn't seem to care about the team actually winning.

I was happy to see the Titans go to the Superbowl, I was even happier to see them get within one yard of actually winning the Superbowl, and then lose. When the tv cut to bud Adams face at the moment the rb (eddie george?) was stopped at the 1 yard line, the look on his face at that moment was worth the loss of the oilers to another city.

Overall, I think Houston is in a better place, football wise.

Edit, it was a pass to Kevin dyson that got stopped on the 1 yard line. I can't find any video showing his reaction though.

Bud was instrumental in getting the NFL to where it is today.  He was (and probably still is) loathed here in Houston, but the team was his business and he decided to move it.  Odd, we let the Oilers go because they wanted to get either a new stadium or spend the money needed to make the Astrodome more modern.  Funny that we did just that and spent way more money for the floundering Texans - who have been the epitome of mediocrity throughout their history.

The Oilers were also pretty much the epitome of mediocrity throughout their history, at least since the 1962 AFL championship. Didn't they make the playoffs like 7 times in a row from 88-94, only to lose the first game? And of course they lost every time they came up against Pittsburgh in the late 70's. Football mediocrity seems to be a Houston problem, not with any one franchise.

• 1 year later...

I personally always felt like the Oiler fans that became Titan fans were just as much traitors as was Bud Adams. But Bud Adams never changed, it was just a few years ago that he was fined for publicly hanging out of a suite during a game while flipping of the Bills...apparently old habits die hard lol!

• The title was changed to Bud Adams Is Dead

Archived