City View Terrace I & II: Multifamily At 1433 Chartres St.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would they sell the land before they remove pierce? My understanding was that to reduce impact, that pierce was going to be there until the new alignment was completely built out.

Who knows how long that will be, there's a lot of freeway they're rebuilding. are they going to do all of 45 from bw8 through downtown at once, or segments at a time? Where do they start? Downtown, or bw8? how long from now until all the approvals have been signed and they get to 'break ground'?

I'd imagine on both sides (sale of pierce land and purchase of row in new alignment) they can't move until everything has been approved. I'd further imagine that with the sale, they would wait until they knock down the pierce to sell. Land values will increase so they will get more for the dollar, and inflation too, they will get more dollar for their dollar if they hold onto the land as long as they can.

I have no idea, maybe this is a question maxconcrete could answer, but I think that the freeway expansion wouldn't hold them back.

This is why Post-Modern sensibilities need to die a slow death. The contemporary look before was miles better than this! Oh yeah just throw some cornices up there because Post-Modern WE DO WHAT WE WANT! I personally blame the architects on this one. Its obvious that they had zero backbone in regards to their design/creation and left it to die as soon as it approached the client. Don't people know that those dumb cornices are a waste of money! They aren't even made of stone (well real stone).

There was article I believe in the Chron? or some other publication mentioning TxDOT planning to sell off the land that would be under the Pierce Elevated. Its going to happen. Sure it probably won't get built in 5 years at the earliest, but you can bet that they are already buying land and further solidifying their plans. I'm sure they will still have public meetings to get more input, but its pretty much a done deal.

I mean, one could argue that "post-modernism" is nothing more than the culmination of modernist ideology, not separate from modernism itself.

But you're not wrong. :)

I mean, one could argue that "post-modernism" is nothing more than the culmination of modernist ideology, not separate from modernism itself.

But you're not wrong. :)

"Less is a bore" -Robert Venturi

This says just how different Post-Modern is from Modernism. It might have modern in its name, but its anything but. Remember that Venturi's quote is a mutation of Mies van der Rohe's, "Less is more" which was the calling card of modernism. Post-Modern is a complete rejection of modernism because it plays with the notion that there shouldn't be one all encompassing unified theory on architecture. Architecture shouldn't be the same everywhere. Modernism was a very strict, bare-bones, and rigorous movement that pushed for a single unified theory that could be applied to all.

The only similarities between Modernism and Post-Modernism is their continued break from historical precedent. While one completely throws it away for something new. the other is about breaking down and simulating styles and pushing them to extremes.

The unforeseen consequences that lesser able architects, developers, and designers took from these movements were these:

Modernism - everything should be mass-produced and standardized = we can build as cheaply and as unremarkable as possible.

Post-Modern - Architecture is relative to the person designing it and the whims of the client and neither are restricted by the "prevailing style of the age". Instead they can be free to take elements from others to suit ones needs = we don't have to follow any rules. Anything goes. I don't care if a cornice doesn't go there or makes sense I WANT A CORNICE! I mean design is all relative right? right? This means I can be as historicist as I want but do it my way! (EDIT: In other words it was an excuse to be kitschy)

While this is a lot to throw onto this kind of project (it really doesn't merit such a discussion) it further highlights many terrible trends within the industry that thankfully are being put to rest, but old habits die hard especially in the most conservative of places.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this looks great. I wonder what they mean when they say "located in Downtown Houston." Will it actually be in Downtown, or will it be next to the first Phase in EaDo?

Technically, all of 'downtown' (inside the freeways) and all of 'eado' is part of the downtown super neighborhood. even though it's not what most people think when they think of downtown, that's probably what they mean. 

with all the street cred that eado pulls, I'm shocked they didn't just say they were located in eado...

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what that building in the background was supposed to be. Does anyone know what it is?

I was wondering what the feature in the background was that appeared to be a topographical shift in elevation. I've never seen anything like that before.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Again, as someone pointed out earlier, the plan for this plot of land is highway....so why build on it? Get extra money when TXDOT plans to buy it?

Brilliant Idea:  Form a shell company called "freeway view builders". Build a 1 story cheapo building but pay your contractor $50 million to build it citing "hurricane material escalation" as the cost driver.  Then negotiate the sale to TXDOT for "fair value" and then you make a killing......  On second thought that's probably against the rules.

Archived