Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Weren't some people on this forum the other week complaining about blocking the downtown view in Minute Maid Park... wouldn't this building partially do that?

That was me.  No one else.  And since it is located more than just across the street there really isn't a reason to cry foul (until we see the design - which could be great or horrible?).

It seems that it would, but from the vantage point of far right field only.  For the most part the view is oriented more toward the northwest than to the section of downtown with the tallest buildings.

The seats from that side of the park are very limited as it is.  My only point about the Finger building, is that it was right across the street and 7-8 floors (as high as the glass curtain-walls roughly).  After looking at it in greater detail, and some of the pictures posted by other members I can see that it will probably be fine.

• 1 month later...

I passed by the site this morning and it looks like they have pulled up some of the parking lot. I have know idea if this is for soil testing or something unrelated to any building construction, but I thought I would mention it.

• Like 4

img_block52.jpg

Marquette anticipates breaking ground in the second quarter of 2014 on a 364-unit, 29-story apartment building with approximately 7,700 square feet of ground floor retail/restaurant space in downtown Houston. Marquette is utilizing the Downtown Living Initiative (Chapter 380), which is effectively a development grant provided to the first 2,500 units to be developed in downtown Houston and this project will receive a $5.5 million benefit from the grant. The property encompasses a city block on the northeast side of the Houston CBD and is situated one block from Minute Maid Park. Aside from the retail space, the property will have a 589-space private parking garage situated above the retail space and below the residential units. The property will have high end finishes and two amenity floors including a full-size, resort-style rooftop pool and other luxurious amenities. The building will be delivered in Summer 2015.

http://www.marquettecompanies.com/main.taf?p=7

• Like 6

Where does that place us now.. someone tally all the units going up downtown..

Well all the projects listed under current downtown development map add up to ~3200, but if the rumors of the 2nd Alliance residential on main, the 38 story phase 2 of the Texaco, the possible(but unlikely there just seems to be too little info) residential building behind Hess, and Block 100 behind the Marriott Marquis(sorry for bringing it up so much) we could be looking at 4000+ units which is very impressive. It's amazing how much residential development is possibly coming to downtown!

In regards to this tower, it looks pretty slick but not anything real amazing from the other 20-35 story resi tower renderings floating around(most notably Hines). I think it's cool it got a little height bump even if it is one floor and I think it's not a bad thing it looks similar it just seems to be the architecture of this era.

Edited by ClutchCity

Well all the projects listed under current downtown development map add up to ~3200, but if the rumors of the 2nd Alliance residential on main, the 38 story phase 2 of the Texaco, the possible(but unlikely there just seems to be too little info) residential building behind Hess, and Block 100 behind the Marriott Marquis(sorry for bringing it up so much) we could be looking at 4000+ units which is very impressive. It's amazing how much residential development is possibly coming to downtown!

In regards to this tower, it looks pretty slick but not anything real amazing from the other 20-35 story resi tower renderings floating around(most notably Hines). I think it's cool it got a little height bump even if it is one floor and I think it's not a bad thing it looks similar it just seems to be the architecture of this era.

3200 in under two years is impressive.. It will strenght the downtown counusel arugement that the program should be extended hard to argue with a  3200 unit jump in under two years... would be even harder to do it aginst 4,000  if those come to fruit... Let give a shout out to Skyhouse who while not the first seemed to be the one that lead the charge and gave other developers the balls to take a chance on ST

i wonder if Zeigler Cooper is the architect as it does look similar to his designs for other residential towers planned around the city.. anyways i think it looks nice and certainly dont mind this current architectural trend, but yeah a little variety would be nice.

so it will have a rooftop pool.. that will have incredible views and is sure to be the highest pool in the city.