Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Fail? Compare those to what Camden released for that block near root square and that crap that Alliance is throwing up north of skyhouse

If Marquette, Hines MS and block 98 see fails then I don't mind Houston failing that way.

All three buildings are lovely. I like the other MS residential tower too.

Edited by Subdude
  • Like 1

I never said the buildings don't look good. The failing is in regards to the creativity of the architects. To come up with one design style and spread it around town is failed creativity.

Btw, your examples are mid rises, can't really compare. Sky house, Hanover towers, Chelsea st and OPP are all good looking high rises, yet they have very different styles.

I never said the buildings don't look good. The failing is in regards to the creativity of the architects. To come up with one design style and spread it around town is failed creativity.

Btw, your examples are mid rises, can't really compare. Sky house, Hanover towers, Chelsea st and OPP are all good looking high rises, yet they have very different styles.

I never said you said they were ugly.

I offered that they were beautiful, and that if beautiful building are failures then I welcome more failures.

And I most certainly can compare midrises. The very fact that those suckers are squat midrises make them much better examples of failures than those you gave.

Again, my point is if I were to point out short comings in residential buildings, the two market square buildings, The Marquette and Trammel Crow buildings would be late on my list. Alliance, The early Camden renderings, Fingers and the one on St Joseph would all get a tongue lashing before the other 4

Thanks.

For anyone who really wants to answer my question, I'm talking about the Ziegler Cooper designed projects in Houston. Does anyone know the other ones?

The Sovereign, Residences at Market Square, Block 98 tower, Hanover Southampton, One Lake's Edge in the Woodlands, 2229 San Felipe, and 800 Bell Redevelopment. There are probably a few more I'm missing.

• Like 1

Thanks.

For anyone who really wants to answer my question, I'm talking about the Ziegler Cooper designed projects in Houston. Does anyone know the other ones?

No really, look them up.  Ziegler Cooper actually has a website.  You would have found the buildings listed below (or above) if you had done that already.  It would have taken you ~1 minute to look that up.

I figured most people on here usually do look up Houston firms frequently just to see what each office is doing.

http://zieglercooper.com/urban-residential/

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 4

The Sovereign, Residences at Market Square, Block 98 tower, Hanover Southampton, One Lake's Edge in the Woodlands, 2229 San Felipe, and 800 Bell Redevelopment. There are probably a few more I'm missing.

As far as high-rises, you can add Montebello, Villa d'Este, the upcoming Belfiore, Highland Tower, off the top of my head.  I think there are others going up, too.  Also The Austonian in Austin, which amazingly is not clad in beige brick like so many of the rest.  

As for mid-rises, The Gables Tanglewood, The Briarglen, and the development off Weslayan @ West Alabama (I forget the name).

Apologies for not just pointing to their web page (which I've visited in the past) ... but I'm just trying to demonstrate how highlight they seem to have captured that market in Houston.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://zieglercooper.com/block-52/

Working with Naperville, Illinois-based Marquette Company, Ziegler Cooper has designed a 28-story 361-unit apartment tower that encompasses a full city block on the northeast side of the Houston’s Central Business District. Situated one block from the Houston Astros Minute Maid Park, the project, currently referred to as “Block 52”, is planning to break ground in the second quarter of 2014. Block 52 will include over 6,800 s.f. of retail and restaurant space at the buildings base along with a 552-space private parking garage situated above the retail space and below the residential units. The property will be a combination of high-rise and low-rise apartments with the low-rise units forming an active streetscape, concealing the garage. Block 52 encourages walkability by being only one block from Houston’s light rail system. Additionally, a large bike storage and maintenance area are provided on level 2 for residents who prefer a bicycle over a car.

The exterior architecture will be punctuated with a modern combination of brick, stone and metal accents. Floor to-ceiling windows and glass balconies preserve priceless views of Houston and the surrounding areas. A well-appointed porte-cochère incorporates dramatic water features and lighting to welcome residents and guests to the main lobby complete with concierge services.

Resident amenities are included on multiple floors throughout the property. Level 9 will feature an indoor fitness and yoga studio with an outdoor yoga “Fusion Lawn.” A Guest Suite is also included for residents with overnight guests. Also on level 9, is over 20,000 s.f. of outdoor amenities with panoramic views into Minute Maid Park. A large resort style pool boasts soaking ledges, fountains, private cabanas and covered trellis lounge areas to keep residents cool on those hot Houston days. Residents and guests can also enjoy the outdoor living room area, featuring a full kitchen, fireplace and gas grill. The game lawn will include a beach volleyball court and fire pit. Level 7 will include a dog park and pet friendly amenities. The Sky Club on the 26th floor features a Club Kitchen with spectacular views of downtown Houston. An exclusive Ballpark Club room on level 28 includes an exterior terrace for residents living on the Penthouse and Summit levels to enjoy watching the Astros baseball game.

Rental prices will range from $2.70 to $2.80 per square foot for apartments ranging in size from approximately 600 to 1,800 square feet. Marquette is utilizing the Downtown Living Initiative (Chapter 380), which is effectively a development grant provided to the first 5,000 units to be developed in downtown Houston and this project will receive a $5.5 million benefit from the grant. The building is being built by Pepper-Lawson Construction LP, the Texas division of Chicago-based Pepper Construction Group LLC. and will be delivered in Summer 2015.

• Like 4

This is going to be really good for Downtown. Vancouver has a lot of those ground-level units and I always thought those were pretty neat. I think the Sovereign is going to have them too. 

Edited by fkp5

That area around the ballpark is shaping up nicely. Marvy Finger's place is going up next door. There's that other residential development on the other side of the street on the downtown development map. The Marriott Marquis will be very close, as will that parking garage with Ground Floor Retail.

Now, if only the Astros could on track by the time these are finished....

• Like 2

How long has skyhouse taken? This would be less than a year, sheesh

Skyhouse took a little over a year, I think. I seem to recall the crane go up right about this time last year.

This project: "q2 2014 to summer 2015" would be, say 15 -16 months? Assuming they started in June and finished in say, September (still feels like "summer" in Houston)! Doable? I have no idea. But it sounds like about what skyhouse did.

• 1 month later...