Delmar Gymnasium

plumber2

I heard a radio announcement today that Delmar Gymnasium will be demolished. There is a plan to replace it, by PBK Architects. Will there be any effort to save this structure. Maybe have a bond election to turn it into a convention and exhibition venue? Just kidding!

Seriously though, will this building be missed? Does this slumped back quonset hut pull at anybody's preservation heart?

I generally have a soft spot for late-50's buildings but I've always thought that one was just ugly.  Never been in the fieldhouse but I have been to the stadium for a football game and it was by far the worst high-school stadium I've ever been to.  But they did have HPD officers with hand held metal detectors at the entrances.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunate they must tear it down, rather than try and save it.  Funny, I think most developers in this town seem to have very little faith in architects and engineers being able to preserve or re-use something.  Just because a building is in bad repair does not mean it must be torn down.  Imagine how cities such as Boston, New York or Chicago would look if every building developers/real estate folks there had decided were in "too bad of shape" to salvage.  Bleak indeed.  Though I share the sentiments of others above that HISD needs a quality gymnasium (or several) for their student athletes.

• 3 months later...

I admit to having some fondness for this building because I remember thinking how cool it looked when both it & I were young!  However, I can't object to it going away if no cost-effective solution to saving it can be found.  

There are plenty of more beautiful and interesting buildings that we've either torn down or let burn over the last 100+ years.  I will grieve more for some of those.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

too bad HISD athletics is dead though and the administration doesn't care about marketing what they have...the fieldhouse is 20 years too late

Why do you think HISD athletics is dead? Keep in mind that HISD, unlike other area districts, doesn't build sports palaces, and the athletics are really about the kids.

it is.....they don't promote it and the teams...it's light years behind what it was just 15 years ago and it was going down then

they let Lamar High School cannibalize the rest of the district and take the best football talent and even then they get bounced early.......alot of other schools are just fielding teams for fun and have no need to play football....the games are beyond empty...they don't advertise their tournaments as the Jaycees Tournament has regressed from the top tourney in the city to nothing...

they schedule the traditional; rival games on bad night..need I go on?

• 3 weeks later...

as funny as it sounds...I think people prefer the high school gyms where people are on top of you...makes for a better atmosphere

I would love they build the new delmar like the old one but modern but it won't...we build arenas like country clubs and that's the setting we're in

• 5 months later...

Went to many U of H Cougar basketball games there during the Hayes-Chaney era.

A heck of a drive from Genoa, but to see the best team in the country (well, OK, 2nd best after UCLA), it was worth the trip.

From the Houston Chronicle website article by Jerome Solomon January 31, 2014 :

" Big E, as he would later be known, had some huge games there. In his senior season in 1968, he scored a school-record 62 points and grabbed 27 rebounds against Valparaiso. Two weeks earlier, he posted 50 points and 37 boards against Centenary.

They didn't keep blocked shots numbers then, so we have no idea how many Hayes had, but following Guy V. Lewis' orders to swat away anything that he could get a hand on, Hayes had 12 goaltending calls against Wisconsin at Delmar. That has to be a record. "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived