Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

I was going to post this last night as well, but didn't want to post another project that was more of a vision. Thanks to largetexas for confirming this is a serious development. :)

1-Money-shot-A_Brick_V3.jpg

Houston's first TOD, Mid Main is a two-block mixed use development right in the city’s up and coming entertainment district that includes the Continental Club, the Ensemble Theatre and the new Match. The design reconfigures theTexas wrap and the concept of the garden apartments residences of Houston. With MidMain’s light rail stop right outside the door, the building will be 70% studios to address the needs and spirit of young professionals, the new demographics that will ride the rail.

money-shot-B_Brick_V7-big-boxes.jpg

http://rogersarchitects.com/mid-main/

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 3

Looks like a nice project... exactly the kind of thing this area needs. 

It is not the Red Line's first TOD project... Venue Museum District holds that claim.  But I really like that the majority of the apartments will be studios.  Having more affordable housing for young professionals is a very smart move, and I hope future developments follow suit. 

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=9185140

" A 360 unit mid-rise apartment complex, over 30,000 square feet of retail space, is on the way.  It will include a 800 spot parking garage with zip cars, catering to young professionals, and college students without cars"

"... plans for that retail and apartment complex will be officially publicly revealed next month"

"... two renovated parks, 453 new apartments, and 74 new townhomes, in all 143 million dollars in new buildings..."

" ... new parking garage near Sparrow and The Breakfast Club"

• Like 2

That Sears... OMG. 

I'm so conflicted.  Glad to have a Sears in Midtown, but it's in such bad condition.  They need to either take care of it or tear it down!

Rice University owns that land. I'm pretty sure they're waiting on the University Line before moving ahead.

Nice to see these renderings after hearing about them forever from my barber.

Edited by infinite_jim

Swamplot:

http://swamplot.com/a-look-at-plans-for-a-train-centric-development-on-main-st-in-midtown/2013-09-18/

"HERE ARE the first renderings of Mid Main, what appears to be a 2-block, mixed-use development planned to stand along the Red Line inMidtown. And it appears to be an active project, too, though details are still pretty skimpy: Isabelle Moutaud of Rogers Architects, which is partnering with Gensler and Rice prof and architect William T. Cannady on the designs, tells Swamplot that she can’t reveal more than what’s been posted online. (But more is coming in “a couple of months,” she writes in an email.) Still, the text accompanying these renderings online indicates that 70 percent of the development would comprise studio apartments, and the renderings themselves suggest plenty of parking, pocket parks, young people, and ground-floor retail.

It appears that the development would go in around theEnsemble/HCC light rail station on the 2 blocks bound by Main, Travis, and Holman, most of which are now surface parking lots. A commenter on HAIF asserts that Berry St., which provides access to those lots, would be abandoned."

go95IQX.jpg

"The map above shows the area in question. It’s not clear from this, or the renderings, how the buildings might interact with the retail andrestaurants already there on the 3600 block of Main; those appear to be represented by that low gray box in the southeastern corner of the development — though Natachee’s patio and sandbox appear to be replaced, at least in this early version of things."

Edited by TowerSpotter

• 2 weeks later...

premium_gallery_landscape.jpg

premium_gallery_landscape.jpg

That sounds a lot like Mid Main, a development about to get underway west of the Ensemble/Houston Community College rail stop. The project will include apartments, shops, restaurants and a big parking garage.

Going up at the same time next door will be the nonprofit Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston. Construction on both projects starts early next year.

More importantly, a 363-unit apartment complex called The Loft at Mid Main and 30,000 square feet of retail and construction are expected to be completed in mid-to late 2015.

Schultz and his partners have other plans for the Midtown area. They are in the process of acquiring the ground lease from Trinity Church for the property at Holman and Main between the church and Ensemble Theatre, he said, and hope to build an office tower.

The group also owns most of the 3600 block of Main east of the light-rail line and hopes to lure a boutique hotel or develop retail and entertainment venues, he said. Schultz predicted those projects should materialize "fairly quickly, based on the amount of interest in them now."

Schultz said he plans to preserve an existing building at 3617 Main because it once housed the original Alley Theatre and has historical value.

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 3

I am loving this project plus all the other stuff going on off of Main Street.

On a side note, does anyone have an update on the Midtown Superblock project or the Crosspoint Property development in Midtown with the Alamo Drafthouse? I haven't heard anything on those projects in quite a while. Are they still planned to be built?

On a side note, does anyone have an update on the Midtown Superblock project or the Crosspoint Property development in Midtown with the Alamo Drafthouse? I haven't heard anything on those projects in quite a while. Are they still planned to be built?

Last I had heard, Alamo had decided to set up shop in regent square

Last I had heard, Alamo had decided to set up shop in regent square

The former Midtown Alamo Drafthouse location is now planned to be Multifamily 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27112-when-does-alamo-drafthouse-open/page-2#entry434961

Edited by DrLan34

The former Midtown Alamo Drafthouse location is now planned to be Multifamily 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27112-when-does-alamo-drafthouse-open/page-2#entry434961

Perhaps a bit of a downer, but thanks. That said, the way Main Street is kicking off seems likely to provide for lots of future entertainment options in the area.

• Like 1

"Linbeck is the general contractor for the project and Lewis Property Co. will do the leasing. Construction is being financed by IBC. Transwestern will lease an office tower planned on a nearby block."

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/09/is-the-mid-main-project-the-future-of-urban-houston/

• Like 1