cloud713

Post Office Site Mixed-Use Redevelopment

largeTEXAS    271

Any word on who they sold it to?

Apparently, Lionstone dropped it because of some very expensive infrastructural work that needs to be done to the site (freeway wall or something like that). I hear the new groups are trying to find ways to deal with it in a cost effective manner.

mkultra25    456

Yea, it's coming up soon. Had a notice in my mail box a while back about the move.

Edit: According to my notice, it was supposed to be May 2nd but it clearly got pushed back again.

I was wondering about that. The lobby was closed over the weekend with a sign indicating it would be open again at 7AM on Monday morning, but there was no mention of completing the move of all services to the Hadley St. facility that had been scheduled for May 2. 

DrLan34    1673

http://swamplot.com/downtown-barbara-jordan-post-office-on-franklin-st-will-close-forever-on-may-15th/2015-05-06/

- THE U.S. POSTAL Service plans to end all retail operations at its flagship Downtown Houston post office next Friday, May 15th.

- P.O. box service has already been relocated to the Sam Houston Station in Midtown, at 1500 Hadley St.

- The USPS has placed the entire 16-acre property surrounding the building up for sale, but has not yet announced a buyer. The postal service has also indicated that it “anticipates demolition” of the structure.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

jmitch94    816

I just realized what land this is on and wow that would be great if it could all get developed. 

cloud713    3536

Not really. The "downtown connectors" will remain, restricting the site. Now all the areas north of UHD and the warehouses will be opened up a TON and be prime for redevelopment.

DNAguy    331

Not really. The "downtown connectors" will remain, restricting the site. Now all the areas north of UHD and the warehouses will be opened up a TON and be prime for redevelopment.

I left a comment that advised TxDOT to have those connectors 'hug' the freeway more in that area so that way the site north of the tracks could be sold and developed or turned into a park.

Not to get too much off track but......

As TxDOT said, this illistration isn't final. I just hope they keep the footprint of this area and the 59/10 (and now 45) intersection to as much as a 'minimum' as possible so as to either develop or turn areas by the bayou into parks.

http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs4/15_20150417_Seg3_PM4_Exhibit_01_Overall.pdf

Edited by DNAguy
  • Like 1

jmitch94    816

Im assuming the dark is new and the less dark is the existing freeway? Pretty disorienting in that position lol

lockmat    1853

I left a comment that advised TxDOT to have those connectors 'hug' the freeway more in that area so that way the site north of the tracks could be sold and developed or turned into a park.

Not to get too much off track but......

As TxDOT said, this illistration isn't final. I just hope they keep the footprint of this area and the 59/10 (and now 45) intersection to as much as a 'minimum' as possible so as to either develop or turn areas by the bayou into parks.

http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs4/15_20150417_Seg3_PM4_Exhibit_01_Overall.pdf

The reason they're so wide is because it allows for a faster speed limit and they have to make it at least 45 mph. Anything tighter wouldn't meet standards.

• Like 1

H-Town Man    1837

The new alignment of I-10/I-45 will open this open this plot of land up, a lot.

Might mean that whoever buys it will wait until then to redevelop.

cloud713    3536

I heard some disheartening news about this.. One of the big name companies looking to develop this site took soil samples and found either contamination, or it just wasn't stable. Couldn't find out for sure other than site remediation will need to happen.

Avossos    868

I heard some disheartening news about this.. One of the big name companies looking to develop this site took soil samples and found either contamination, or it just wasn't stable. Couldn't find out for sure other than site remediation will need to happen.

That's costly... Will likely come off the sale price. Justice complex would be better there than where it is currently, but I trust they can find an even better spot for JC... Cough downtown cough east end cough near northside.

Anyway, I hope we have a good developer follow through...

Midway bought the large property off Washington avenue... I don't see them buying this too.

cloud713    3536

Yeah, definitely costly. They had to restructure/resubmit their bid to account for the added expenses.

H-Town Man    1837

Contamination would be understandable considering that it was a railway station, followed by a post office with daily fleets of diesel trucks and an adjacent railway platform. Might be unstable because of the bayou and shifting clays, but I would be surprised then that the post office held up so well over time.

If it is unstable, make it a park!

cloud713    3536

yeah doubt its unstable, the source (used to work for one of the major firms who bid on the site) only said there was a problem with the soil, but that they couldnt remember exactly the issue. i assumed contamination, but didnt want to mislead yall in case that were wrong. hopefully its not too costly and the city is willing to accept much lower bids due to soil remediation.

cspwal    1752

Would they have to do remediation if it was turned into a train station again?

• Like 1

H-Town Man    1837

Would they have to do remediation if it was turned into a train station again?

Yes. If they were building a 7-Eleven they would need to do soil remediation.

Urbannizer    29855

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/07/lovett-commercial-set-to-buy-downtown-post-office/

The downtown post office has a buyer who may turn the site into a mixed-use development with shops, office, housing and perhaps a boutique hotel.

Houston-based commercial real estate developer Lovett Commercial is under contract to buy the property at 401 Franklin from the United States Postal Service. Closing is scheduled for late summer or early fall.

• Like 2

Fortune    413

Lovett Commercial is the buyer.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/07/lovett-commercial-set-to-buy-downtown-post-office/

"The downtown post office has a buyer who may turn the site into a mixed-use development with shops, office, housing and perhaps a boutique hotel.

Houston-based commercial real estate developer Lovett Commercial is under contract to buy the property at 401 Franklin from the United States Postal Service. Closing is scheduled for late summer or early fall.

“It’s extremely rare to find a 16+ acre parcel in any major U.S. downtown,” Burdette Huffman vice president of Lovett Commercial said in an email to the Chronicle.

The property, he added, offers an “incredible location with direct connectivity to Buffalo Bayou and the Theater District,” as well as “fantastic access to I-10, I-45, downtown and the Washington corridor.”

Huffman said the company is still working on conceptual plans for the site and is exploring ways to reuse portions of the existing buildings."

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 1