cloud713

Post Office Site Mixed-Use Redevelopment

bobruss    2366

At least Hines team got it right. Is anyone sure who won this project. Hopefully with some prodding something closer to Hines plan could be developed. It does all the right things to make this project feel part of downtown. We need to have an email campaign to whoever is awarded this site and help them see the potential with images like Hines plan. I already sent one to Munoz Albins.
It's times like these that our voices should be heard. Not after they start digging. The sqeaky wheel gets the grease.
I know the city does not own the property but it wouldn't hurt letting them know how important this site is and it's potential to buffalo bayou.
Along those lines it wouldn't hurt getting the powers that be at the Bayou Conservancy, Guy Hagstette, an email also.

Edited by bobruss

H-Town Man    1837

This master plan is pretty standard. Like very very very mediocre. It's not very inspiring at all and if this did become what would go at the post office site this would be quite the disappointment. I mean it does nothing with the surrounding area, it doesn't interact with the bayou, and it doesn't leave anything open for future growth especially in terms of mass transit which with the movement of TCR now full steam ahead into their environmental process I think that any plans for this site are on hold.

It seems like it would be smart thinking for Midway or whoever controls the site to wait about 5 years to develop until all the other residential projects downtown are built and stabilized, and something of a walking and shopping culture starts to develop. That would allow the development here to be a lot more ambitious, and lenders would be less worried about something with no precedent downtown. Of course no one likes to wait, but a piece of land like this comes along once in a generation and you want it done to its fullest potential.

Luminare    1430

It seems like it would be smart thinking for Midway or whoever controls the site to wait about 5 years to develop until all the other residential projects downtown are built and stabilized, and something of a walking and shopping culture starts to develop. That would allow the development here to be a lot more ambitious, and lenders would be less worried about something with no precedent downtown. Of course no one likes to wait, but a piece of land like this comes along once in a generation and you want it done to its fullest potential.

Of course. I just don't understand why EVERYONE is all the sudden jumping on this one master plan that was found by a very curious Urbannizer. Urbannizer was simply curious because he hadn't seen it before, but I mean this is Urbannizer. He usually idicates if its a present plan or one that is going to get moving. He simply stated that he had not seen it before and now everyone is freaking out about it -.- I honestly don't see any development on this site or anything near or around the Pierce Elevated and that area of Washington Ave until more is known about TCR and their plans and future plans of the city. That means that all of this is simply speculation because this site won't be developed for YEARS! I guarantee that. This also accounts for exactly what you stated. The market is crammed full of projects right now. This area isn't even officially part of Downtown I believe, meaning it wouldn't be eligible for TIRZ funding or residential incentive programs. All in all I think everyone needs to just calm down about what Urbannizer posted.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

Luminare    1430

Cloud I think the one you posted of Hines should be the standard. That or better. No excuses. No accepting anything below that. I don't think the city would accept anything below that.

• Like 2

I quite liked the idea of having something along the lines of the 7200 Main renderings at this site. The Hines proposal could be modified for a taller tower for such a plan. 

• Like 1

cloud713    3536

Does it? From the master plan so far it seems Midway is just trying to build a slightly more urban version of a citycentre esque development, in "downtown". Citycentre is meant to be driven to (or lived at). I guess they have the same vision for the post office site. Unfortunate, but I'm sure it will be successful either way..

Edited by cloud713

Sparrow    274

yeah.. bummer. i had hoped they would get creative and/or copy the plans below to reroute Washington through the site and eliminate Franklin along the bayou. with Franklin running across the south side of the development it kills any connectivity with the bayou. 

The issue with rerouting Washington would be how to deal with the I-10 HOV entrance/exit. Obviously with a little funding you could realign it, but where to?

Luminare    1430

The issue with rerouting Washington would be how to deal with the I-10 HOV entrance/exit. Obviously with a little funding you could realign it, but where to?

You would reroute the I-10 HOV to Bagby. Ideally if the Pierce Elevated were to be demolished someday then Bagby St. would be the ideal entrance into and from I-10

LarryDierker    3129

It seems  the shadows indicate that 2 of the buildings on Franklin are much taller than the rest of the buildings.

Dunno if this actually means anything, but I haven't seen this before.

*Edit* I see that Midway has been selected to redevelop the site, so it's 100% likely they would choose Munoz Albin as the architect lol. I guess this is our first look at the plans.

http://www.munozalbin.com/62-houston-post-office.html

15534444318_06ccd61192_b.jpg

• Like 3

Luminare    1430

Official in that this site plan is an official Master Plan done by this firm for this site, but that's it. The person wanted to know if it was official that this was the plan that was going to be used, which isn't official! Just saying yes and posting a link to something that we already have doesn't mean that this project is officially happening!

• Like 2

mkultra25    456

Downtown post office to close after the first of the year, per the USPS. No buyer for the site yet, but it will be put back on the market next year:

http://abc13.com/news/what-will-closure-of-downtown-post-office-mean/441038/

If I'm reading the USPS data on consolidations correctly, all services will end at the current site on 5/31/2015. There's a detailed spreadsheet covering all planned USPS consolidations at http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/our-future-network/welcome.htm (click on "Planned 2015 consolidations" to download the spreadsheet). 

Also of note: the USPS is revising service standards in the new year to tack on another day to the average time for First Class Mail delivery. 

I expect that I'm possibly the only person here who will miss having a retail post office and distribution center at the current site. So it goes. 

• Like 1

Avossos    868

Downtown post office to close after the first of the year, per the USPS. No buyer for the site yet, but it will be put back on the market next year:

http://abc13.com/news/what-will-closure-of-downtown-post-office-mean/441038/

If I'm reading the USPS data on consolidations correctly, all services will end at the current site on 5/31/2015. There's a detailed spreadsheet covering all planned USPS consolidations at http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/our-future-network/welcome.htm (click on "Planned 2015 consolidations" to download the spreadsheet).

Also of note: the USPS is revising service standards in the new year to tack on another day to the average time for First Class Mail delivery.

I expect that I'm possibly the only person here who will miss having a retail post office and distribution center at the current site. So it goes.

What makes you think they are taking it off the market? Last I heard midway was in the running and wanted to buy this

Funny thought. If Crude crashes... the USPS would have been much better off selling in 2014 then waiting until the gloom ahead. I can't help but see the USPS losing as they always do no matter what happens to Htown. I believe in this city and I don't support any doomsday theories; however, when the US Gov't is involved history tells me they never win. Literally N E V E R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

post my picture again1

UtterlyUrban    1360

Actually, you are not. Current site or not, having a big central retail post office location is something I will miss too.

BigFootsSocks    2720

Funny thought. If Crude crashes... the USPS would have been much better off selling in 2014 then waiting until the gloom ahead. I can't help but see the USPS losing as they always do no matter what happens to Htown. I believe in this city and I don't support any doomsday theories; however, when the US Gov't is involved history tells me they never win. Literally N E V E R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

post my picture again1

"Literally"

I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Like 1

H-Town Man    1837

however, when the US Gov't is involved history tells me they never win. Literally N E V E R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

1300481_orig.jpg

I beg to differ.

• Like 2

arche_757    665

USPS might lose out on a better price for the land, but big developments like this site have potential to offer us - take time.  Could be this thing works through all the kinks and problems over the time we're in a "down" economy (at least due to oil).  Will remain to see if the overall health of the US economy due to lower oil prices will drive other industries in Houston - it could very well do that.

• Like 1

mkultra25    456

What makes you think they are taking it off the market? Last I heard midway was in the running and wanted to buy this

I was paraphrasing the linked article. I don't think it was taken off the market, the article was just poorly worded:

The current downtown Houston facility was put up for sale earlier this year. However, we have learned from the USPS that the sale was not completed. This facility is suppose to hit the real estate market again next year.

mkultra25    456

Actually, you are not. Current site or not, having a big central retail post office location is something I will miss too.

It's not mentioned anywhere in the ABC13 article, but I can't believe that the USPS isn't going to have some sort of retail postal presence downtown after the current post office closes. But they're clearly not going to have a main distribution center there. 

That spreadsheet indicates that all incoming letter and flat mail at the current site is already being processed through the North Houston distribution center as part of the transition. 

Edited by mkultra25

Urbannizer    29857

http://swamplot.com/usps-moving-p-o-boxes-to-midtown-ahead-of-sale-and-demolition-of-downtown-post-office/2015-03-05/

A READER WHO maintains a post office box at the Barbara Jordan Post Officeat 401 Franklin St. Downtown has forwarded Swamplot a notice that showed up with the mail earlier this week, inviting box renters to a “town hall” meeting about the upcoming move of post office services at the facility. “Our projected move date is fast approaching,” the flyer reads — though it doesn’t identify whenit will be.

A note in an online for-sale listing, however, indicates that the facility will be “vacated by the USPS in the second quarter of 2015.” No buyer has been announced publicly for the 16-acre property, which was previously the site of the Southern Pacific Railway’s Grand Central Station.

The complex’s signature feature is its 1962 5-story concrete-finned main building and plaza (pictured at top) by Astrodome architects Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson. The USPS has noted that it “anticipates demolition” of the building as a result of the sale.

• Like 7

DrLan34    1673

As of yesterday, one of the employees told me they will all be moving to the 1500 Hadley location in Midtown in two weeks.

• Like 1

Triton    8661

As of yesterday, one of the employees told me they will all be moving to the 1500 Hadley location in Midtown in two weeks.

Yea, it's coming up soon. Had a notice in my mail box a while back about the move.

Edit: According to my notice, it was supposed to be May 2nd but it clearly got pushed back again.

Edited by Triton