• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, skooljunkie said:

Yup.

v9nMGsy.jpg

On 10/5/2017 at 0:22 PM, H-Town Man said:

Does not appear to have reached first floor level, unless this does not represent the peak.

Not quite sure, but that looks pretty close to peak based on what I've been told by Market Square area folks.

• Like 1

After further conversation with Lovett Commercial and working together with Swamplot, we have removed the renderings but have allowed the posts to remain public here and the article will remain on Swamplot as well. 

• Like 1

I can see why they asked to have it removed. there was one picture of a woman in a bathrobe, and a man in a dress shirt. the second to last episode of game of thrones was on the TV.

Obviously, they wanted to be considerate to anyone that hadn't already seen that episode.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, samagon said:

I can see why they asked to have it removed. there was one picture of a woman in a bathrobe, and a man in a dress shirt. the second to last episode of game of thrones was on the TV.

Obviously, they wanted to be considerate to anyone that hadn't already seen that episode.

:lol:

Yes, you found the true reason.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 3:13 PM, Houston19514 said:

But, the plan all along for western extension of light rail has been for it to be an extension of the purple or green line....

I think you may be confusing metro's master plan with discussions in the transportation sub forum about how to continue building the system.

Can you provide a link?

6 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

People use Washington as a go-to car route to downtown? 

That's my main route from the Greater Heights area to downtown. It

14 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well, no, it would increase its capacity substantially. It would make it harder for people in cars to speed down Washington to get Downtown, but that seems like a good thing to me. You people have I-10, Memorial, AND Allen Parkway. You're fine.

Rail might be good for the 400 people who live along Washington, but without parking bearby, rail is useless for the rest of us. I use Washington all the time to get to Downtown and to businesses along the way. Rail would make it far more difficult to do that, as well as making safe turns nearly impossible.

Memorial and Allen Parkway are frequently closed for one event or another, so they aren't always available.

6 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

People use Washington as a go-to car route to downtown? 

Yes

• Like 1

There are 400 unit apartment complexes along Washington, yes.  The amount of new apartments/townhomes and development within a 6 block walking distance of Washington is a fair amount of people, specifically young people that would use this transit.  I think it would be very successful.

• Like 2

How can you say he is not an authority. He has spent many years working on rail related projects and has worked with many highly enlightened authorities in transportation and urban matters. He has devoted his life to making Houston a better place for all of us and he definitely has researched this issue as much as anyone around. I had the opportunity to work with him on the Richmond Rail line and found him educated on all of the issues, and connected to all of the transportation experts and knew his stuff. I recently attended a Houston Tomorrow talk where transportation was the discussion., and it was a topic that came up. If he has come to the conclusion that we will not see any more rail in the near future he has good reasons to say that. I don't think he is giving up on it completely but as long as John Culbertson is in office it is dead on arrival.

As for the Washington corridor to Hempstead. I think that would be great. Only connect it to the bus hub at old Katy, for connectivity to the rest of the lines,  where the Post Oak Metro redevelopment in Uptown is now being built. This would allow people who live and work in either downtown or Uptown a way to get to the other on a mass transit system. Washington Ave. corridor is a  densely populated area and the younger developing demographics will support rail. It would be a great way for people to get to a game or just about anywhere the rails now run and that includes just about every major destination in Houston. There are plenty of routes into downtown that could be used to get from the Heights avoiding Washington that connect to Houston Avenue. I prefer to favor a more useful mass transit use for this corridor. Maybe not for some of our lifetimes, but for Houston of the future which is something some don't seem to have the ability to see or care or think about. This city is going to continue to get denser and it will be a great alternative to sitting in cars stuck in traffic jams burning hydrocarbons. 

21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

What are we to make of David Crossley's recent pronouncement that there almost certainly will not be any more light rail built in Houston? Of course he is not exactly an authority, but he is also the last person to give up on something like this if it had a chance.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bobruss said:

How can you say he is not an authority. He has spent many years working on rail related projects and has worked with many highly enlightened authorities in transportation and urban matters. He has devoted his life to making Houston a better place for all of us and he definitely has researched this issue as much as anyone around. I had the opportunity to work with him on the Richmond Rail line and found him educated on all of the issues, and connected to all of the transportation experts and knew his stuff. I recently attended a Houston Tomorrow talk where transportation was the discussion., and it was a topic that came up. If he has come to the conclusion that we will not see any more rail in the near future he has good reasons to say that. I don't think he is giving up on it completely but as long as John Culbertson is in office it is dead on arrival.

Ummm, I didn't say he wasn't intelligent, but he is not a public official with control over Metro and hence not in an authoritative position to say that rail will never be built. But the fact that I referenced him suggests that I think he must have "good reasons to say that" and that his opinion is worth our attention.

If this is going to turn into another impassioned, emotional argument on transportation modes, let's take it to the Transportation board.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2017 at 9:24 AM, Ross said:

Rail might be good for the 400 people who live along Washington, but without parking bearby, rail is useless for the rest of us. I use Washington all the time to get to Downtown and to businesses along the way. Rail would make it far more difficult to do that, as well as making safe turns nearly impossible.

:rolleyes:

24 eleven

Washington Courtyard

Memorial Heights @ Washington

The Core

Elan Memorial

Memorial Club

Those are all apartment complexes that frontage on Washington. There are at least twice as many apartments within 1/4 mile of Washington. Add in all the townhomes. It would stop at the NW transit center, so add all those.

It's a few more than just 400 people. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I guess, then, Washington would be only figuratively ruined, but literally the Washington rail-route would be a boon for the city? 

No, it would be literally ruined. Much like Fulton is now useless as a North/South route because rail makes turns impossible for most streets.