sevfiv

I am concerned about this property.  To me it represents a “once in a lifetime” development opportunity for a firm with vision.  I am not really seeing the vision.   Had a firm like Hines bought it, the vision would likely be clear and it would be spectacular.  Unfortunately, this feels “GreenStreet-ish” to me right now.  I really hope that I am wrong.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/31/2018 at 9:42 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

Uhhhhh Sawyer Yards??? They’re doing a damn fine job over there. 

Idk, I’m getting the feeling that some here are still a little salty about Lovett demanding their renderings be removed the site :lol:

Uhh Sawyer Yards, while very nicely done, is small fries and very low density compared to this mammoth site. There’s no comparison whatsoever. It is essentially a renovated industrial building turned glorified urban shopping strip, which still falls in Lovett’s range of expertise.

For me the original renderings didn’t leave much of a lasting impression so not “salty” about their removal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I am concerned about this property.  To me it represents a “once in a lifetime” development opportunity for a firm with vision.  I am not really seeing the vision.   Had a firm like Hines bought it, the vision would likely be clear and it would be spectacular.  Unfortunately, this feels “GreenStreet-ish” to me right now.  I really hope that I am wrong.

You have to think though that there's a reason why Hines or Midway didn't buy it. They must have studied it, and they could have outbid anyone else if they had wanted it. There may be significant challenges or problems we don't know about.

On 8/8/2018 at 0:14 PM, wilcal said:

A little birdy has told me that they had seen the renderings of this project and that they were "next level".

I mentioned about the low planned renovation cost mentioned here and they said that he didn't think it was close to possible with the renderings they saw.

Don't want to stoke the fires with non-info, but I'm excited about the possibilities. 

I saw some new renderings the other day. OMA designs. Seriously cool s#!+!

12 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

You have to think though that there's a reason why Hines or Midway didn't buy it. They must have studied it, and they could have outbid anyone else if they had wanted it. There may be significant challenges or problems we don't know about.

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Its a lot of space, buts all by itself and barely connected to downtown. Hopefully there’s more synergy they can create than seems to be there. If it can a kind of “bookend” to downtown that the GRB is becoming that’d be great. 

5 hours ago, lockmat said:

Its a lot of space, buts all by itself and barely connected to downtown. Hopefully there’s more synergy they can create than seems to be there. If it can a kind of “bookend” to downtown that the GRB is becoming that’d be great. 

A “bookend” would be great.  I fear a “dead end”.

hopefully the vision that the commentators above mention is real and this property is integrated into downtown and functions as an amazing urban development rivaling all others on a world class scale.  This property has that potential.  It has the potential to be written about and studied generations from now by students and urban planners..... it’s a once in a lifetime chance for the Houston and the Developers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 10:56 AM, BeerNut said:

Any word when they will start developing this site?   After the 2nd year of them hosting D4N, I'm beginning to think that the festival in it's current form will last only as long as the site isn't developed.

Well it wasn't the development of this site that killed Day for Night...

I don't think many people here get how high quality projects by Rem Koolhaas/OMA tend to be, it's obviously not going to be easy and fast. The project is advancing on the inside and I know several leases have been signed so it's starting within a few months. The second phase has highrises (3-4), I don't think anyone has posted those renders here. 

Edited by iah77
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I don't think many people here get how high quality projects by Rem Koolhaas/OMA tend to be, it's obviously not going to be easy and fast. The project is advancing on the inside and I know several leases have been signed so it's starting within a few months. The second phase has highrises (3-4), I don't think anyone has posted those renders here. 

Umm any more info? Would have been nice to know this months ago lol

• Like 1

Of all the sites/projects downtown, it's this development I want to see happen more than anything, probably even more than the Block 58 Hines tower. Theres just so much space and potential for this site, so close to the arts district and the bayou. As much as I doubt we will see anything close to the renderings happen, I hope I'm seriously proven wrong.

7 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Seems like to me, just from this, that its a done deal. Now we wait for the updated visuals and plans. Looking forward to this one.

Yeah and its really is a shame too. Day for Night had a lot of potential of becoming Houston's very own music festival. It had a unique Houston vibe. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

1 minute ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah and its really is a shame too. Day for Night had a lot of potential of becoming Houston's very own music festival. It had a unique Houston vibe. 

I actually really wanted to go last year, but just missed it. A really good place to relocate would be somewhere in EaDo. Losts of old places to house a good size festival. If they are smart they should locate it close the Green line.

• 2 weeks later...

Day for Night is done, and it's not because of the location.

The organizer was called out for sexual assault, not sure if it was confirmed or not. That killed the entire festival. 

I went for the last two, they were absolutely the best shows I've ever been to, and it sucks that one act ****ed it all up.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that someone else couldn't carry it forward, but there it is.

Don't get me wrong, sexual assault is a thing, and I hope the guy gets what's coming to him assuming he's found guilty by a court of law.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Any updates on POST Houston or Post HTX, the old post office in downtown Houston, 401 Franklin?

Update requests are generally considered bad form on here, FYI. I've often been tempted to ask for updates if I haven't heard about something in ages. But when someone hears something, they usually don't hesitate to share, so no need to ask.

• 3 weeks later...