Nole23

Retail District Planned, to be Centered Around Dallas St.

630 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2017 at 9:34 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

4) Higher end services need more maintenance, more compliance, regulation and more costs. If this was an actual solution then commuter trains could print money and solve system wide funding issues. They obviously do not, look at Chicago.

Wait, how many bus routes did the red line replace? I think you said 4 farther back a few pages?

Since the light rail and other tax payer proposals have not furthered retail in downtown, what are some possible solutions?

If ground retail is failing, perhaps downtown should just expand on what works, the tunnels. What if the city helped develop public tunnels and public access points from the street? Or should the city stay out and instead let the free market decide what's best for Downtown?

How does Houston pedestrian tunnel system compare to other cities such as Dallas, Chicago, and Toronto? Have these pedestrian tunnels negatively effected ground level retail? Chicago as I recall has a vibrant street level pedestrian traffic. Don't really know about the other two. Anyone studied this situation?

Houston's tunnel system is more vast than Chicago's, for sure. But perhaps, Illinois was inspired by Houston's tunnels when they built the Thompson Center in Downtown Chicago. It's just a government building but on what we would consider the tunnel level of the building their is an expansive court of shops, restaurants and government services. Much like our humid summers are unbearable for ground level retail in Downtown Houston, Chicago's streets are worse for shopping in the winter. When I working on LaSalle street this January it was nice to be able to run to the Thompson center go downstairs and find a place to eat in warmth. 

https://www.illinois.gov/cms/About/JRTC/Pages/default.aspx

The google and yelp reviews for the building might be the highest rated government building reviews I have ever read. People want to shop and eat in comfort, go figure?

I thought part of the problem was getting the people out of the tunnels and up on the streets where commerce usually occurs. The tunnels close after 5:00 and are not an option for people that live downtown.  Adding more retail underground does not help this at all. The people who work in these buildings will come out from underground if there are viable alternatives. They do it everywhere else. I think like anything it just takes a little time for people to change their habits.

I cant speak to Chicago's situation but here in Houston,  we are trying to establish a foothold in downtown for the people who are actually moving and living in downtown.

I don't think the corporations would want to keep the tunnels open to the public after dark and have to hire extra security.  It would open a whole can of worms and they don't want the public in their buildings anyway.