Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

2. Market Square Tower

slide-904--1429212383-large.jpg

Developer: Woodbranch Investments

Landscape Architect: Kudela & Weinheimer

Building Architect: Jackson & Ryan

Delivered: Under construction now, with estimated completion in early 2017

One of Market Square Tower’s two pools will be a heart-stopper—40 floors up, it cantilevers over the edge of the tower. Three sides are glass enclosures, and there will be three window panes so bold swimmers can peer down to the street from the bottom of the pool. The deck will be top-quality, all granite on pedestal pavers. Kudela & Weinheimer (which released this new rendering for us) tells us it’s been particularly challenging meeting hurricane requirements on the 40th floor.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/10-sexiest-pool-decks-in-houston-44975

Yikes! That's a long fall if you're in the pool and the glass breaks below you.

Edited by PeopleAreStrange

It's interesting that this project is as far along as it is and we only have basic line art renderings to go by. Meanwhile the Hines building across the way has plenty of sexy renderings that came out before the building even broke ground. I would assume these are essential marketing aids. 

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Yeah, especially with that pool right?

I mean, I remember every time we've had a major hurricane downtown, the first thing to go was all the glass windows in the buildings.

Well, that pool must be made out of some kind of 12 inch thick gorilla glass or something.

Edit: Maybe it's this metallic glass thats stronger than steel

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=toughest+glass+in+the+world&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.technologyreview.com%2Fnews%2F422345%2Fglass-thats-stronger-than-steel%2F&ei=vvhdVdvsGoHBsQWnoYDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNGZeVpyyzLJHieX_RtnfSuv6Jm_FQ&sig2=dTbefeXXxX8-c_ni0coL-Q

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 1

I don't think it's the strength of the glass, it's the seal. Hurricanes are low pressure systems. If the pressure outside the building drops then the pressure inside the building is going to pop out window panes. Since the pool will have an open top instead of sealed, then atmospheric pressure isn't going to be a big deal on the glass

• Like 1

I don't think it's the strength of the glass, it's the seal. Hurricanes are low pressure systems. If the pressure outside the building drops then the pressure inside the building is going to pop out window panes. Since the pool will have an open top instead of sealed, then atmospheric pressure isn't going to be a big deal on the glass

Not talking about pressure busting windows in a hurricane, I'm talking about the flying projectile debris.

As Ron White once put it, "It's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing." :lol:

Man if That proposal for the theater district goes thu ..Houston Downtown could finally start to live up to it potential

I would love that proposal to go through, but dont get your hopes up. Right now that is very much a pie in the sky. I am sure with time and some revisions, the plan might get some legs.

I would love that proposal to go through, but dont get your hopes up. Right now that is very much a pie in the sky. I am sure with time and some revisions, the plan might get some legs.

Err.. What the heck are you taking about? The theater district master plan is Houston First's next focus after the convention district redevelopment wraps up next year.. Sure some things will probably change in the finalization process, but rest assured they are serious about this.

• Like 2

I’ve got it!

Chronicle closes up shop at their DT HQ and then level that block. The grand I-45 reroute boondoggle gets like 10% grander by connecting the monstrosity of a trunkline East of DT to Memorial via a sunken Preston and Prairie (one Eastbound, one Westbound) that goes under Minute Maid (yes, I know field level is like 30 feet below grade already) that resurfaces around Milam. Then you combine the Chronicle block with the vacant lot and make Market Square a Market Rectangle.  What’s another billion dollars?