Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Could be a lot of smaller floor plans?  If it is really 450+ units then we could see something 40-50 floors in height if they're going to have average sized floor plans for hte units?  But then I just read an article about smaller units are the new normal because apartment developers think that's what apartment dwellers want!  Will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Although that PDF file a while back said it would be 35 stories, it's intriguing to think it could be even taller. How many units are in Hines building? Should be interesting to see where they put the pool since it's on half a block and can't have a large podium. Maybe similar to Westin memorial city with an extra high open air floor in the middle of the tower, or like Skyhouse and put it on the roof (making it by far the highest pool in the city if I'm not mistaken)..

YESSS!!! about time downtown gets a 40 story residential tower.. 
will the garage be torn down, or just built around/maybe enlarged a bit, and reworked to connect into the new tower? if the garage will only be on half the block (and not enlarged to become a podium taking up the whole block or something), i wonder what will be on the lower floors of the tower that are butted up against the garage. should be interesting to see what they do with the garage..

• Like 1

YESSS!!! about time downtown gets a 40 story residential tower.. 

will the garage be torn down, or just built around/maybe enlarged a bit, and reworked to connect into the new tower? if the garage will only be on half the block (and not enlarged to become a podium taking up the whole block or something), i wonder what will be on the lower floors of the tower that are butted up against the garage. should be interesting to see what they do with the garage..

Well, according to that PDF, it says "...and renovation of existing garage." While it doesn't answer much, it would seem that they do plan to keep it and change it. I'd assume that they would try to make it mesh well with the tower portion.

• Like 1

I like how downtown is slowly becoming encircled with residential high rises.. For some reason residential towers usually seem more interesting to look at IMO. Were getting a healthy amount on the south side, soon to have another cluster going up on the south east, OPP, the planned residential behind Marriott Marquis and the rumored ritz w/ residential on the east side, fingers and the 28 story on the north east side, and now this one and Hines 33 story on the north/north west side.. Right now the west side is the only part of downtown not seeing residential activity, but I bet if they eliminated pierce elevated/45 on the west side of downtown and were able to develop that land under it that they would build a couple residential high rises there too.. Another one of my fantasies.. Haha

• Like 3

Or find more suitable land for Allen Parkway Village. Just imagine if that was all high rise residential with retail and restaurants. Facing the beautiful views of downtown, even with 45 cutting through the middle, it would be fantastic. And with all that is happening on Allen Parkway (and Buffalo Bayou) already, restaurants, and high-rises, instead of 2 story government apartments would make sense. They could sell the land for a fortune and relocate and expand the low income housing close by. That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 5

Indeed.

For all the trash ppl talk about mayor parker, the residential incentive is one of the best things to ever happen to downtown houston.

People talk trash about mayor Parker?? Heh, but seriously.. Besides the metro funding screw up what's to not like? She has done some incredible things for Houston, and especially the parks districts and downtown area... Without her downtown would continue to be a ghost town after 5..

People talk trash about mayor Parker?? Heh, but seriously.. Besides the metro funding screw up what's to not like? She has done some incredible things for Houston, and especially the parks districts and downtown area... Without her downtown would continue to be a ghost town after 5..

Well it really started with Mayor Brown... but yes, she has done some wonderful things. Now only if she could fix these damn streets. I think I'll run for mayor and my slogan will be "No new pot holes EVER!"

• Like 2

In terms of residential hi rises on the west side perhaps the possible sale of the police property on Washington and Houston Ave. and the Post Office on Franklin also could be the future site for a mixed use residential development. The views from there would be spectacular and Washington Ave is a straight shot into downtown

• Like 1