Rodeway Inn At 5820 Katy Fwy.

IronTiger

I was surprised to find that the Comfort Inn I stayed at in Houston in spring 2008 (accelerating the romanticization of Houston even today, previous romanticization was for other cities) had been demolished sometime in between Google image updates, with the only mention of it being it was demolished in late 2011 (a Swamplot comment). It's being replaced with a larger, multi-story hotel (I don't know if Comfort Inn had one or two levels), but I have no idea what it is. What it is being replaced as, and what is the history of the older hotel? I doubt Comfort Inn was the original name of it...Google Earth images show the old hotel being there as early as the late 1970s. 

(Aside: It's sad that my happy memories of seeing Houston and Galveston back in 2005 are becoming more and more distant by each passing day.)

(Aside 2: It should be noted that it although inexpensive, it wasn't a fleabag motel--though the trains were awfully noisy)

It's behind a Denny's, which made me wonder if it was a La Quinta at one time. Address at 5820 Katy Freeway, seems a Hampton Inn & Suites is being built there instead.

I also have a hotel directory that lists it in its Comfort Inn state, which is how I visited it in 2008. So yay, most of my questions were answered, but still just a tad bittersweet--you can't go home again.

I never knew the Denny's/La Quinta reference, until I realized that there was a distressing regularity between the adjacent locations of La Quinta and Denny's. A few years back, I stayed at the flagship(?) La Quinta in San Antonio, the replacement to the first location nearby, and guess what giant sign was there out the window, shining bright at night. And if you catch any of the demolition videos of the Plaza Hotel in College Station on YouTube, you'll find that there's a La Quinta and a Denny's there too (even though the La Quinta pre-dated the Denny's by over a decade).

• The title was changed to Rodeway Inn At 5820 Katy Fwy.

Archived