Houston Airport Marriott At George Bush At 18700 John F. Kennedy Blvd.

Mab

This is long overdue in my opinion.  You can really see how dated (1960's) the entire place is from the basement where the original inter-terminal train stops on up.  The popcorn ceilings, water stains, broken light fixtures, faded carpets, dirty walls, and other long-neglected and often-used features need a re-do in a bad way.  I see that city council is also looking at renovating Terminal D.  I remember attending the grand opening of this building thinking it was huge.

...They cannot let stay as is.  I think that that "Atlanta Style" masterplan is/has been reconsidered.  The Investments in Term B and probably forthcoming additional Immigration facitily also seem to indicate this.  The hotel will be there for many more years to come.  I think that I did hear that HAS would be publishing a revised Masterplan soon.  

Yes, the ATL-style master plan was scrapped in its entirety over a year ago.  They based it on pre 9-11 and pre recession estimated traffic volumes.  For as big an airport as IAH is, I am mildly shocked that we have such a small, nevermind outdated, hotel facility.  The hotel at O'Hare, while also showing its age, is mammoth in size in comparison yet we are now UAL's biggest hub.  I look for Host to possibly expand at some point along with a full reno pending HAS and city approval.  I will also say that the DoubleTree and Sheraton on JFK are also showing their ages respectively so look for more upgrades soon there.

• 1 year later...

The 1970s-era Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental is getting a makeover with a Texas twist.

The initial phase of the hotel’s multimillion-dollar renovation, which incorporates a Houston theme in the artwork, is nearing completion.

The work includes upgrades to the lobby and public areas, meeting rooms and all 573 guest rooms, which are being refreshed with a contemporary style, luxury linens and the latest technology.

South tower guestrooms and meeting rooms are set to be completed in May, while the north tower upgrades are scheduled to be finished by fall.

The hotel, at 18700 John F. Kennedy Blvd. between terminals B and C, offers a connection to all of the airport’s terminals by way of a free underground tram.

“We will continue striving to meet the needs of our guests while creating a sense of home that draws them back time and again,” Scot Cotton, general manager of Houston Airport Marriott, said in an announcement.

Among the improvements to the rooms are: enhanced lighting, luxury linens and new carpet and window coverings; custom headboards incorporating task lighting, electrical outlets and USB capabilities; high-speed wireless Internet access; 47-inch LCD televisions; and bathrooms with new plumbing fixtures, stone counters, larger mirrors and sliding doors.

The hotel’s 34 meeting rooms with 30,000 square feet of space will get new furnishings, carpet and wall coverings.

The new lobby will feature a great room with multiple seating areas and artwork incorporating Houston scenes such as the downtown skyline, Ship Channel and the oil and gas industry. The decor with clean lines and neutral colors will tie in with the new all-day restaurant and full-service bar.

rendering-iahap-bar-2.jpgrendering-iahap-lobby-2.jpgrendering-iahap-overall-2.jpgham_closet_dhp-edit-2.jpgham_bedroom_dhp-copy-edit-2.jpg

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/03/houston-airport-marriott-lands-a-makeover/#30916101=9

Well, at least it seems on-par with the Marriott at EWR (Newark).  Which isn't a very high bar (sigh).

I'm also amazed that such a busy airport -- even if its not O'Hare, Atlanta, or DFW -- would have such a lame on-site hotel.

Well, at least it seems on-par with the Marriott at EWR (Newark).  Which isn't a very high bar (sigh).

I'm also amazed that such a busy airport -- even if its not O'Hare, Atlanta, or DFW -- would have such a lame on-site hotel.

What, in your mind, makes the IAH Marriott lame as compared to, say, the ORD Hilton or the hotel at ATL?  Oh wait, ATL doesn't even have a hotel.

What, in your mind, makes the IAH Marriott lame as compared to, say, the ORD Hilton or the hotel at ATL?  Oh wait, ATL doesn't even have a hotel.

Detroit has a very modern/nice *Westin*. The interior is awesome. I haven't stayed at the Marriott at IAH since I was a pre-teen, but I can imagine it hasn't changed much... if that's the case it's lame. The Exterior is another topic, I hope they never change it.

Edit: Those are the only two I can make a judgement on. Comparing the Marriott to hotels in airports overseas is unfair.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Marriott Hotel Bush Airport Renovations
  • The title was changed to Houston Airport Marriott At George Bush At 18700 John F. Kennedy Blvd.

Archived