Guilty Pleasures: Movies/Music

Montrose1100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNu7_CAJ3uA&src_vid=lzjnlf8yZIw&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1850735975

Robyn - "Sayit"

She's back, and bringing Acid House back with her. It's a weird feeling being old enough to see music genres disappear and then get recycled over a decade later.

try 4 decades of that; pretty soon,10 years ago will seem like yesterday. 

did i mention that david lynch's "dune" is guilty pleasure?  i cringe at some of the bad special effects now but i can't stop watching it.  "FOR HE IS THE KWISATZ HADERACH!!

• Like 2

Doom Generation, ha! I tried to watch it but the "whatever" culture was too astronomical for me to finish it.

I have had a recent obsession with new synth pop songs. I will post some links later, but here are the songs and titles.

"Fireshrine" - Purity Ring

"The Mother we share" - CHVRCHES

"Royals" - Lorde

They're pretty awful but they are so much fun!

I just saw this post and I'm so happy to see Purity Ring get someone on HAIF. You see them live? Saw them at JMBYLA back in May. Saw CHVRCHES at Bonnaroo over the summer too

http://youtu.be/f5myHpBD9RM

Here's another synth pop for you guys!

http://youtu.be/1FH-q0I1fJY

This one is quite awful. I accidentally discovered it under "suggested" for the CHVRCHES video. I love the music video, it's so weird, that its actually cool. I only love the song because of the video.

And I tried showing it to some of my friends but all of their reactions were the same... "I can never get that 6 minutes of my life back". Lol they don't understand fashion & art, so I have forgiven them.

Okay I gotta disagree with you here. GRIMES is the best upcoming musician out there right now. Saw her at Pitchfork a month ago and lost my voice. She was worth every penny I spent up in Chicago. I had I idea HAIF had some music buffs up here.

You guys should check out Toro Y Moi, Cut Copy and Little Dragon.

• 1 month later...

This is now my favorite thread.

Check out STRFKR. These guys got some really good beats. And that bass line? Yes please

If you liked the song but not video for Grimes I would definitely suggest Oblivion and Be a Body. Oblivion is one of her best songs IMO

Already have that downloaded! Her latest song Go! Is really good but not her usual stuff (I guess because it's featuring blood diamonds)?

I'm one of the few GRIMES fans who actually really liked Go but a lot of people bitched because "it didn't sound like grimes" but the thing is, it was originally made for Rihanna so of course it's going to sound different. But, I guess enough people complained because she just announced she scrapped the album and is starting over because "it sounded to radio-friendly"

Also really like the beats in that; it's got a really good ambient vibe going on. Have you heard of Little Dragon? I recommend checking this out if you haven't...

• Like 2

Nothing turns the heads of the passengers in the car next to you faster than blasting Cause & Effect from a full sized one ton pickup truck, lol.

I've got a CD that has a bunch of the old 80s club hits on it including MCL, Info.Society, Samantha Fox, Black Box, A Split Second, and others. It really gathers a variable spectrum of reactions from those nearby if I'm in the mood and really have it cranked up, lol.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen As Above So Below?

I know it got some pretty low ratings. I have to admit some of the acting and scenes were cringe worthy. I guess it was more terrifying to me because I read a story online a few years back (that was probably made up), but some cave explorers/climbers went down a cave and had a weird paranormal experience. That stuck with me. However, it takes a lot to make a movie scare me. I was pretty terrified. Movies that give me anxiety and make me jump are very much a guilty pleasure. Why do I torture myself? It's not as scary as the first Paranormal Activity. I would say it is probably the third most terrifying after that and Jeepers Creepers.

And on a more lighter note, I know this song isn't new, but it has been stuck in my head for a week. The music video isn't great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9NSMY8QiQ

"Closer" - Tegan and Sara

This one isn't anything special but it's one of those songs I hear and picture the night skyline heading south over the bayou on Studemont/Montrose. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6ac_hRBik

"Jaguar" - What So Not

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does it make you angry when you hear a song and cannot download it immediately on iTunes? Usually I'm pretty resourceful in finding a way to purchase it (legally), but when I hear something like this and I can't have it makes me miss the old record stores that would carry CD's that you couldn't find anywhere else.

BTW is Cactus Records really still open off of 59?

Edit: it is. They don't have it. Anyways, this is the song. It's been my wingman this long and stressful work week.

Edited by Montrose1100

Does it make you angry when you hear a song and cannot download it immediately on iTunes? Usually I'm pretty resourceful in finding a way to purchase it (legally), but when I hear something like this and I can't have it makes me miss the old record stores that would carry CD's that you couldn't find anywhere else.

BTW is Cactus Records really still open off of 59?

Edit: it is. They don't have it. Anyways, this is the song. It's been my wingman this long and stressful work week.

No, because I never purchase music from iTunes. The only music in my iTunes library is from CDs that I own and have ripped. 

Do you use Spotify? Might want to check there to see if they have it. 

Amazon has used copies starting at $0.32, but the cheapest ones are from overseas, so forget about the instant gratification factor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005O13R/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

Edited by mkultra25

No, because I never purchase music from iTunes. The only music in my iTunes library is from CDs that I own and have ripped.

Do you use Spotify? Might want to check there to see if they have it.

Amazon has used copies starting at $0.32, but the cheapest ones are from overseas, so forget about the instant gratification factor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005O13R/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

I had already looked at Amazon. $0.39 sounds a little sketchy.

Why anti-iTunes?

Edited by Montrose1100

I had already looked at Amazon. $0.39 sounds a little sketchy.

Why anti-iTunes?

Doubt there's anything sketchy about that seller just based on price - they're a huge UK-based outfit that's a high-volume seller on Amazon. They have some negative feedback but that's to be expected with the bigger sellers. You can't please everyone. 

I'm not anti-iTunes per se (I use it for other things), but I have an aversion to paying for music that's been subjected to lossy compression (i.e., mp3s). I prefer physical media but don't mind ripping my own mp3s from uncompressed files, or purchasing lossless downloads (typically FLACs).

That said, Microsoft had a deal over the past few weeks where they were offering mp3s of entire albums for free via their Music Deals app, as well as mp3s of big, expensive multi-CD sets for $1.99. By way of comparison, one of the $1.99 sets I saw sells for $45 on iTunes. At that price, I couldn't resist. 

Alright HAIF,

I'm one bottle down of white wine and I have been listening and watching the pointer sister's "automatic" and Eddie Murphy's "party all the time" music videos... Was the mid 80's really that awesome? I try to understand the fade from disco to funk to pop, to me it seems the party never ended. For those of you alive and witness to this awesomeness, please tell me they played this in the clubs, and it was as glamorous as I imagine.

Edited by Montrose1100

The mid 80s were awesome because of places like NRG, EMOS/SOME, Red Square, Power Tools, Numbers, Yucatan Liquor Stand, and more. However, I liked those times for Front 242, New Order, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, Love + Rockets, Catherine Wheel, Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Book of Love, Siouxsie, Fad Gadget, Peter Murphy, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dominatrix, Yaz, Propaganda, Stone Roses, Berlin, Alphaville, Boxcar, Tom Tom Club, Electronic, Camouflage, The Farm, Cetu Javu, Cocteau Twins, Bronski Beat, Boytronic, Gang of Four, Dead or Alive, MC 900 Foot Jesus, Stephen Duffy, Section 25, Sisters of Mercy, Front Line Assembly, Hoodoo Gurus, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Clan of Xymox, Charlatan UK, Trashcan Sinatras, Live, OMD, The Church, James, Old School Players, Sandra, Soft Cell, Flock of Seagulls, Happy Mondays, Marc Almond, Psychedelic Furs, Mission UK...

• Like 1

The mid 80s were awesome because of places like NRG, EMOS/SOME, Red Square, Power Tools, Numbers, Yucatan Liquor Stand, and more. However, I liked those times for Front 242, New Order, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, Love + Rockets, Catherine Wheel, Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Book of Love, Siouxsie, Fad Gadget, Peter Murphy, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dominatrix, Yaz, Propaganda, Stone Roses, Berlin, Alphaville, Boxcar, Tom Tom Club, Electronic, Camouflage, The Farm, Cetu Javu, Cocteau Twins, Bronski Beat, Boytronic, Gang of Four, Dead or Alive, MC 900 Foot Jesus, Stephen Duffy, Section 25, Sisters of Mercy, Front Line Assembly, Hoodoo Gurus, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Clan of Xymox, Charlatan UK, Trashcan Sinatras, Live, OMD, The Church, James, Old School Players, Sandra, Soft Cell, Flock of Seagulls, Happy Mondays, Marc Almond, Psychedelic Furs, Mission UK...

I was going to ask if those were artists and then a few popped out (Tom tom club, Berlin, Dead or Alive). You've given me quite the homework.