Odd Chirping Sounds At Night (not Crickets?)

bruce_oneal

It COULD be a nighthawk, but it could also be that:

1. A hell of a lot of frogs are invading the United States, must be some sort of terrorist plot, who knows.

-OR-

2. Aliens are scouting a couple of you to take back to their space ship, they talk to me quite often. Muaha.

Tree frogs, perhaps.

They may be some sort of cricket species/any kin of the cricket type.

Random Fact: Cockroaches are closely related to crickets :P

They're Common Nighthawks - small, swift birds with swept-back wings. You can sometimes spot them at dusk and dawn. They make a small 'cheep' sound that seems to come from nowhere and everywhere. Because they're swift!

You'll also sometimes hear a solitary bird singing in a tree at night, usually in a well-lit area. I've read in the Chronicle that these are young male mockingbirds who are seeking to establish their own territory. Seems artificial lighting has changed their natural habits.

So they chirp at 4 AM?

Tree frogs, perhaps.

They may be some sort of cricket species/any kin of the cricket type.

Random Fact: Cockroaches are closely related to crickets :P

Interesting fact. Cockroaches must be the beyond ugly duckling.

Another random fact: Cockroaches are close to my feet, when I smash them, but they aren't related to my feet!

Guest danax

I agree with dbigtex on the nighthawk possibility.However, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Mediterranean Gecko, although I don't think the sound would be coming from trees. They are imports but are very common in Houston and the males chirp to defend their territory.

I first heard these over at a friend's house in Clear Lake City about 4 years ago.

They told me they were frogs and were a type that had not been in this area before. Sorry, I cant remember the type of frog but we searched through the bushes till we found some of them.

I said we didnt have them in League City and they told me not to worry, I will...

This year they have hit our area. At night they can be heard outside. It sounds like maybe a few of them for now but there will surely be more to come.

They do sound like a small bird or a smoke alarm low battery sound but they are actually small frogs.

I was restless last night and couldn't sleep, so I sat in the living room watching TV. I heard the chirping the entire time I was awake. I am convinced now that these are not birds. However, every time I opened the back door, the chirping stopped, so I could not find the source.

Bruce--Just got into Austin on a late flight, and have been so perplexed by the recent odd chirping in the bushes and trees around my yard I did a quick google search and came up with your post. I registered just to respond....what's going on here in Texas? I thought bizarre birds at first, but I'm not sure. When I came home tonight, I heard them in the front yard too (not just by my bedroom window, where for a week or two they've been keeping me up at night).

If you learn anything about the source of the new Texas Chirpers, please let me know!

Thanks,

Chris

has anyone else been hearing these weird chirping sounds at night?  i thought it was birds or something as it kinda sounds like a fire detector that has a low battery.  but the sounds come from one tree to the next (and sometimes from the sky).

i was also thinking bats?

i know what crickets sounds like --or at least i thought i did.

been hearing it in westchase, but also was downtown last night and heard the sounds there too ...  i have not seen any evidence of birds making the sounds.

Hi,

Just another person who found this thread researching the sound. At any rate, my theory is Pseudacris streckeri or Pseudacris crucifer. I think it is the crucifer or spring peeper since the call sounds almost identical, but the streckeri sounds close too. You can listen to some frog calls here.

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/....streckeri.html

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/...s.crucifer.html

I may try and find one later and settle this :)

Marcos

• 1 month later...

OK

Add me to the list of confused. If we're talking about the same "chirping" sound, it's definitely NOT bird or bat. I have three in the neighborhood here in Dallas that are driving me nuts. It's a pleasant sound I've seen described here al like a smoke detector with low battery power and that sounds about right. Here they come in a sort of pattern like "CHIRP!.....chirpchirp chirp..........chirp........ " and seem to be answered by others in the neighborhood. I have one right now outside my window and have been trying to see what it is. This is the first time I've heard one so close to the ground (About 3 feet up in an ornamental cedar) and narrowed the search to within a foot before really digging in with flashlight in hand and found NOTHING!

I waited a while and it started up again in about the same place. I thing the frog guessers may be right, although I wasn't aware of any in this area but mark my words; I WILL find the bugger...

Or I'll give up and enjoy the mystery.

yes, that is the sound alright ... and that is the pattern of the calls and response. sometimes it even seems to be coming from the air ... in several different directions.

let me know when you find out ... i still find the frogs theory to be kinda weak, but several people here swear it's frogs.

let me know what you find out.

I've heard the same soft "smoke detector" chirping sounds . . . first thought it was some type of crickets. Only hear it outdoors at night. . . several times I'd search around in the bushes, grass, and sidewalk crevices with a flashlight . . .neighbors probably thought I was psycho. Finally found the source . . . a tiny frog about 1/2 inch long, dark in color. When the light hit it, it just froze and didn't make a sound . . . I did the same, and a few seconds later it chirped! Mystery solved . . . now I can sleep.

I've heard the same soft "smoke detector" chirping sounds . . . first thought it was some type of crickets. Only hear it outdoors at night. . . several times I'd search around in the bushes, grass, and sidewalk crevices with a flashlight . . .neighbors probably thought I was psycho. Finally found the source . . . a tiny frog about 1/2 inch long, dark in color. When the light hit it, it just froze and didn't make a sound . . . I did the same, and a few seconds later it chirped! Mystery solved . . . now I can sleep.

so they're in the trees too? i've heard them up high. seems kinda like they do a call and response too?

• 7 years later...

Bruce, it's been years since you posted this but I am having the same issue, and I can not find the little critter that's making the sleep depriving sound! I created an account just to find out if you ever got an answer...just like you described, a low battery sound on the smoke detector. I'm loosing sleep, I'm out every evening the last 4 days trying to find it, every time I seem to get close to it, it stops! So I'm unable to really pin point the sound. Help if you can, thanks!