Art On Navigation Blvd.

I don't know if isolation is going to be a problem. The restaurants already attract a sizable crowd from outside the immediate area. Drove by Saturday evening and alot of people were at both Ninfas and El Tiempo, many waiting outside. I was actually a bit shocked. I think the new esplanade is gonna feed off the restaurant patrons who have probably already seen the construction and intrigued by it. The East End Street Fest should be a perfect fit and a weekly farmers market would be great too.

Edited by intencity77
  • Like 1

@intencity77: You're right, that those restaurants are heavily patronized, especially on the nights the Astros play. (What with the free stadium shuttle and all.) And there are those new-ish apartments on Delano. But I hope other people will come to use the esplanade, not just those who are trying to burn off a few calories after a taco plate. Is that farmers market coming? That would be very, very good. My point about isolation was rooted in fear that the esplanade will become a kind of treadmill. You get on, you get off, you go home. Maybe it will become a real attraction for other retailers or restaurants or amenities — there's a choice empty lot across from Ninfa's — but right now there's not much other than a few restaurants that would bring someone here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

come on people, I grew up in the navigation and wayside area , am white anglo as snow, learned my Spanish in the streets and in jr. high and I know what the sign means, forget the proper stuff and critical talk. living 200 miles north of Houston now doesn't keep the old neighborhood out of my memory or the Mexican americans that were my best friends. 

• 6 years later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, JBTX said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I found this thread, so hey, may as well resurrect it.

The East End Farmers Market, which takes up residence on the Esplanade on Sundays is transitioning over to a daily market format. They appear to have received some TIRZ funding that will allow them to put in some infrastructure to support a daily market such as shipping containers modified to be shops as well as utility hookups. Based on the announcement, seems like Chocolate Wasted and the Buñuelo Lady will take up permanent residence on the Esplanade, and the rest will be artisans/shops.

Announcement here: https://fb.watch/4T6M7WAv3N/

I suppose with all the new apartments and townhomes opening up, makes sense.

It has the potential to be a night time destination as well. Right now after the sun sets, it's a waiting area for Ninfas. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

It has the potential to be a night time destination as well. Right now after the sun sets, it's a waiting area for Ninfas. 

For sure.

It was quite popular as a night destination pre-COVID since Critical Mass would start at Guadalupe Park. They ran a "last Friday night market" for a while and folks would stop by. Used it for major events like Astros WS games too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Shipping containers that will be transformed into the permanent store fronts are being installed today. I counted 5: one by Ninfas, two by the restrooms, and two by 2510A.

20210503_133739.jpg

20210503_133604.jpg

20210503_133516.jpg

Edited by JBTX
Replaced "Ninjas" with "Ninfas."
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

And would Ninja's be that Tex-Mex place on Navigation that takes you by complete surprise and before you realize it you're eating a sushi roll instead of the taco that you thought you'd ordered?   It's great.  

Lol, whoops. This is what I get for posting from my phone. Will correct.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was talking with Susan, the local produce lady at the Sunday Flea Market, and she will occupy one of these permanent set ups. She said they'll have their usual assortment of fruit + veg and hopefully will secure a meat vendor (mentioned Wagyu but needed to confirm they were on the up and up), and is hoping to work another local vendor to sell the eggs that are usually at the market.

She said she's hoping to be up and running by early to mid July and they'll be open Wed - Sun.

• Like 5